Network Security & Communication Services
Salary and Benefits
Starting salary placement depends on qualifications and experience and is anticipated to be in the range of $10,200 to $10,500 a month.
This position is eligible for a broad range of benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement (CalPERS), tuition waiver, vacation and sick leave. In addition, 14 paid holidays are offered each year; 13 scheduled on specific days and a Personal Holiday that may be taken any time during the year.
A comprehensive benefits summary for this position is available online by clicking the View Benefits Summary link or by request from SSU Human Resources.
This position is open until filled. For full consideration, please submit application, along with cover letter and resume, by 8am on November 13. Please refer to the Application Process section of this posting for additional details.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full time, exempt position, which will lead toward permanent status following the successful completion of a probationary period.
Sonoma State University is committed to achieving excellence through teaching, scholarship, learning and inclusion. In line with our Strategic Plan and our Seawolf Commitment, our values include diversity, sustainability, community engagement, respect, responsibility, excellence and integrity. We strive to cultivate a community in which a diverse population can learn and work in an atmosphere of civility and respect. We encourage innovation, experimentation and creativity, as well as contributions to equity and inclusion, in the pursuit of excellence for all members of our university community.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Networking Services, the Lead Network Analyst provides expert network security and network communications support to campus faculty, staff, and students as part of the Network Security & Communication Services (NSCS) department. The incumbent plans, designs, implements, maintains, supports and monitors Local Area Networks (LANs), Wireless Local Area Networks (WLANs) and Wide Area Networks (WANs), which constitute the enabling infrastructure for critical campus data, voice and video systems. The incumbent installs, configures, supports, monitors, troubleshoots, repairs and maintains network systems, including network routers, firewalls, traffic shapers, load balancers, switches, wireless controllers, wireless access points, network servers, end-user hosts/devices, and communication links. The incumbent trains and provides lead work direction to other NSCS staff members as necessary to maintain NSCS standards and service consistency. The incumbent establishes, maintains, updates, and retires documentation related to networking standards, systems, hardware, software, best practices, and other documentation beneficial to collaboration with other network analysts, technical colleagues, faculty, staff, and students. The incumbent balances priority and resource conflicts to accomplish project and task goals of the Network Security & Communication Services (NSCS) department. In addition, the incumbent performs other assigned tasks as needed to assure operational stability, availability and reliability of the campus network.
Major duties of the position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as Lead Network Analyst for the NSCS group, provide overall project coordination and leadership for all projects assigned to individual Network Analysts; monitor project timelines and statuses and report to the Director of Networking Services.
- Serve as Lead Network Analyst, coordinate the workflow of IT Help Desk incidents assigned to NSCS as port of daily network operational support.
- Serve as primary liaison with other IT groups, non-IT groups, and third-party network vendors and service providers.
- Lead and provide expertise on next generation networks and network security to improve existing designs and mentor colleagues in the best practices for troubleshooting complex network performance and security issues.
- Lead in the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of the next generation LAN routing, LAN switching, WLAN wireless, and WAN technologies.
- Lead the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of the network security infrastructure including firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention devices.
- Lead the design, implementation, operation and maintenance of load balancers, traffic shapers, and network servers and appliances.
- Diagnose and correct complex network problems and failures that may require responding to major outages outside of business hours.
- Create, troubleshoot, resolve, and update all IT Help Desk incidents assigned as part of daily network operational support; participate in the daily Network Operations rotation.
- Monitor the LAN/WLAN/WAN network health, utilization, and performance.
- Maintain and Monitor the LAN/WLAN/WAN network performance and operation by analyzing and troubleshooting system logs with tools such as Splunk and LogRhythm.
- Maintain and secure network resources from unauthorized access leveraging embedded network routing, switching, and firewall equipment security features and options.
- Develop, configure, deploy, maintain, and utilize administration and automation tools to manage and upgrade networking equipment (such as switches, routers, firewalls, servers, and WiFi controllers and access points) to enable efficient centralized administration.
- Evaluate and integrate CSU Chancellor's Office best practice networking standards into the campus network design, implementation and operations.
- Establish, maintain, update, and retire documentation in a timely manner related to LAN/WLAN/WAN networking standards, systems, hardware, software, best practices, and other documentation beneficial to collaboration with other network analysts, IT staff, campus faculty & staff, and students.
- Design, implement, and maintain test environments for the purpose of evaluating and testing emerging technologies (e.g. next generation network security and network systems) prior to integration into the campus production networks.
- Work with other IT units on proposed technologies and develop well-documented and repeatable processes to ensure ongoing system interoperability.
- Train and provide lead work direction to other network analysts, IT staff, campus faculty & staff, and student assistants in diagnosing and troubleshooting data, voice and video networking problems.
- Ensure compliance with industry and California State University (CSU) Telecommunication infrastructure standards.
Performs other secondary duties as assigned.
Duties take place mostly in an office setting located at Sonoma State University. The normal work schedule is Monday through Friday aligned with regular campus hours. As an exempt employee you have some flexibility in your schedule however must be available during the regular campus hours Monday through Friday to meet the operational needs of the campus and department. Your specific start time is determined by your Appropriate Administrator. Evening and weekend hours may be required and will be specified only by the supervisor to meet operational needs. The incumbent must maintain regular and acceptable attendance at such levels as is determined by the Appropriate Administrator. The position may require occasional travel, by automobile and airplane, and the incumbent must be able to work some night and weekend hours with overnight stays.
This position requires the ability to frequently sit, move or stand for office and/or event functions, be at a computer for 8 hours/day, occasionally reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop and kneel and lift objects of up to 55 lbs in weight.
The incumbent is required to possess an advanced and comprehensive knowledge of hardware and software support for desktops and mobile devices, application administration, and a working knowledge of information technology in an enterprise environment. The incumbent must be able to apply this extensive expertise as a generalist or specialist. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study. Additional training or education in Information Technology and experience with PeopleSoft strongly preferred.
Preferred qualifications to demonstrate said competence include:
- At least four to six years of experience in a computer user services related position, with additional experience providing lead work direction to others as a lead member of a team;
- At least seven years' experience analyzing, designing, implementing, configuring, troubleshooting and managing enterprise network technology in an organization with at least 100 network devices;
- At least five years of recent hands-on technical experience implementing, configuring, troubleshooting and managing TCP/IP network switching/routing core and access devices;
- At least five years of recent hands-on technical experience configuring and troubleshooting network security devices and/or traffic shaping devices and/or load balancing equipment;
- Advanced and comprehensive knowledge of and proficiency with Google G Suite (Gmail, Contacts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Drawings) and Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel);
- Advanced knowledge of TCP/IP, routed IP networks, layer 2/3 switches, VLANs, and advanced router and switch security;
- Advanced knowledge of configuration and troubleshooting enterprise network routing and switching technology. Alcatel Lucent experience desirable;
- Advanced knowledge of configuration and troubleshooting enterprise network firewall technology such as Palo Alto Networks, Cisco, Juniper, Check Point, SonicWALL etc. Palo Alto Networks experience preferred;
- Expert level skills to install, configure and troubleshoot enterprise network load balancing technology such as Citrix, F5 etc. Citrix experience preferred;
- Expert level skills to configure, analyze, maintain and troubleshoot using system log services such as Splunk and LogRhythm. LogRhythm experience preferred;
- Knowledge and hands on experience using packet capture tools to diagnose and solve wired and wireless performance issues;
- Knowledge of network management tools that leverage SNMP, netflow and syslog;
- Knowledge of VMware or other hypervisor virtual networking configuration a plus;
- Ability to provide customers from varied backgrounds with a superior level of service and support;
- Advanced interpersonal, verbal, listening and written communication skills;
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment, discretion and initiative in performing complex IT work and providing support to department and campus community;
- Ability to provide outstanding customer service to students, staff, faculty, and visitors while working in a professional, fast paced environment;
- Ability to handle large, multiple work unit priorities, projects, and meet critical, cyclical deadlines in a timely manner;
- Possess experience responding with sensitivity to individuals from diverse backgrounds;
- Must be able to adapt to change in the work environment, accept and provide constructive feedback, work cooperatively in group situations, and work actively to resolve conflicts;
- Must work well both independently and with others on a team;
- Must have the ability to effectively communicate with all levels within the university and establish and maintain productive and effective, inclusive working relationships amongst diverse populations including staff, faculty, administration, students, and other internal and external constituents.
Evidence of degree(s) or certificate(s) and/or license(s) required at time of hire.
Please visit http://web.sonoma.edu/jobs/ to apply to this position, materials submitted with your application will not be returned. For questions related to the application process, please reach out to Human Resources (email@example.com | 707.664.3100).
Qualified candidates must submit the following to be considered:
1. Cover Letter and Resume - application system only allows one document to be uploaded, so cover letter and resume must be included in the same MS Word or PDF file (file name should not contain any spaces or special characters)
2. Online Employment Application (complete entire application, resume/cover letter will not substitute for any part of the application)
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current employees who apply for this position.
The ADA Coordinator is available at 707.664.2664, to assist individuals with disabilities in need of accommodation during the hiring process.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.
Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a "mandated reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
About Sonoma State University
Sonoma State University, located 48 miles north of San Francisco, is one of the 23 campuses of the California State University. Sonoma State University is a liberal arts institution with an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students and 530 full-time and part-time faculty. Our beautiful campus is located in Rohnert Park, at the foot of the Sonoma hills in the Wine Country.
Sonoma State University is proud to be a smoke-free campus, where smoking and other uses of tobacco products, such as smokeless tobacco, the use of e-cigarettes and similar devices, are prohibited.
Sonoma State University's Jeanne Clery Act Annual Security Report is available at www.sonoma.edu/ps/about/jeanneclery.html; Annual Campus Housing Fire Safety Report is available at www.sonoma.edu/housing/general-info/emergency-prep/fire-safety.html.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled