About Our Job
The starting rate of this position is $20.00 an hour.
The Denver Sheriff Department is the largest Sheriff Department agency in the state of Colorado and is comprised of many divisions and diverse operations with over 900 uniformed and non-uniformed staff members. These operations include two separate jails, security for the District and County court systems, state inmate transportation, extradition duties, fugitive and K-9 units, a Community Corrections and Work Release facility, and security at DenverHealth Medical Center.
The Security Specialists provide support to Deputy Sheriffs by maintaining security in a detention facility through the operation of security controls and equipment related to the custody and movement of inmates. This position involves exposure with inmates and the general public, as well as contact with Sheriff's Office employees, public officials, medical and legal professionals.
Denver Sheriff Department is a 24-hour operation, and requires shift work including nights, weekends, and holidays.
The Security Specialist positions are housed at many locations and will be determined after training:
- Through the use of closed captioning television (CCTV) monitoring and intercom control, observes the movement of Deputy Sheriffs and any medical and counseling staff within the detention facility to ensure their safety and security.
- Monitors and controls inmate movement within the detention facility's secured areas by operating devices to control doors and elevators.
- Provides administrative support in areas of inmate management and control where no contact with inmates is required, including the maintenance of records and files.
- Tracks, observes, and records inmate movement and population which includes logging visitations, contacts, medical needs, incident reports and other important information.
- Monitors and controls radio traffic within the detention facility, which includes shutting down non-emergency traffic during a crisis situation.
- Monitors emergency alarms and notifies the Deputy Sheriff Sergeant on duty when an alarm indicates an emergency situation.
- Observes controls for alarms, doors, and elevators to ensure systems are operable.
- Monitors the visitation of inmates and screening persons seeking access to the detention facility's secured areas.
- Employee is subject to the usual hazards of incidental contact with jail inmates and detainees.
Our ideal candidate will:
- Have the ability to perform all essential functions of the job;
- Possess skills with Microsoft office products.
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
About Everything Else
- Education Requirement: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
- Experience Requirement: None
- Education/Experience Equivalency: None
CN2341 Security Specialist
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$17.68 - $25.81
Denver Sheriff Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here