Job Summary Mohave County Public Health is currently recruiting for a Public Health Nurse in Kingman, Az.
The Public Health Nurse provides public health nursing services to individuals, families, community groups, health and human service personnel, and the community at large. Nursing interventions are directed toward the goals of prevention, assessment, risk reduction and health status improvement for individuals, families and the communities we serve.The Public Health Nurse collaborates and consults with multidisciplinary and multi agency teams, community groups, and other health professionals in order to achieve healthy communities. REPORTS TO
Work is performed under general supervision of department supervisory personnel.The employee is expected to exercise initiative and independent judgment in accordance with established procedures and regulations. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Exercises functional supervision of subordinates.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Administers specialty public health programs as assigned.
- Investigates health problems and environmental health hazards.
- Uses epidemiological surveillance methods in community outreach, screening, and case findings of communicable and infectious diseases that threaten the health of the community.
- Evaluates outcomes, effectiveness of plan, and makes changes as necessary on micro and macro levels.
- Provides clinical intervention, home visits, case management, care coordination, referral and follow-up to individuals and families who are members of a vulnerable population and/or high-risk group.
- Participates in research and demonstration projects that seek to improve the health of communities and determine new ways to address health issues.
- Participates in the analysis of data to identify trends, health problems, environmental health hazards, and social and economic conditions that adversely affect the public's health.
- Reports program performance, translating this information into program performance improvement action steps.
- Participates in the development of a programmatic budget, assists in developing resources for public health activities, contributes to the preparation of proposals for funding from external resources, and participates in cost-benefit, cost effectiveness, and cost-utility analysis in setting priorities and making decisions.
- Links individuals to available, accessible personal healthcare providers (i.e., a medical home) and other health and social services needed for health.
- Adheres to ethical principles in the collection, maintenance, use, and dissemination of data and information.
- Responds to emergency situations with basic life support and first aid skills
- Provides training, orientation and education to staff, students and other health and human service professionals in the community regarding public health practices.
- Delegates and supervises tasks assigned to paraprofessional staff.
- Participates in program development, implementation, coordination and support; may facilitate multidisciplinary and/or interagency teams.
- Provides leadership and acts as a liaison with other community agencies and professionals; advocates on behalf of vulnerable individuals and populations; participates in assessing and evaluating health care services to ensure that people are informed of available programs and services and are assisted in the utilization of those services.
- Ensures compliance with state practice guidelines, community standards of care, and Federal and State laws and regulations.
- Ensures a safe working environment by adhering to the standards set by Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- Participates in Department and community emergency response training and drills in support of disaster preparedness.
- Performs public health emergency response duties in response to threats to the public's health; these may include but are not limited to, requirements to work longer shifts, nights, and weekends and to perform duties different than the daily routines.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Create and maintain a supportive work environment with other departments and community programs, Public Health divisions, and Public Health leadership on accreditation domain while maintaining a culture of quality improvement.
- Apply basic principles, practices, techniques, teaching, and communication methods related to the age, gender, race/ethnicity, educational level and socioeconomic status of community members.
- Communicate and act in a cultural competent and professional manner maintaining cooperative relationships with community members, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs related work as required.
- Performs special assignments as requested.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
Preferred Education, Experience and Training:
- Associate Degree in Nursing or Diploma in Nursing may be accepted (based on experience).
- Arizona Registered Nurse License.
- Two (2) years of nursing experience.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing is preferred.
- Two (2) years of public health nursing is preferred.
- Completion of National Incident Management System (NIMS) certifications.
- Experience in emergency preparedness and response.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Knowledge of:
- Must maintain and possess a current license as a Registered Nurse issued by the Arizona State Board of Nursing while employed in this position.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Access to reliable transportation to all assigned work locations.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)/Incident Command System (ICS) 100 certification.
- National Incident Management System (NIMS)/Incident Command System (ICS) 300 certification within three (3) months of employment.
- CPR/AED certification within four (4) weeks of employment .
- Competency in relating public health science skills to the Three (3) Core Public Health Functions (Assessment, Policy Development, Assurance) and the Ten (10) Essential Services of Public Health within three (3) months of employment.
- Competency in vaccinating, according to the ACIP schedule, infants, children and adults within three (3) months of employment.
- Proficiency in delivering clinical and public health interventions required by specific programs within twelve (12) months of program assignment.
- Proficiency in knowledge and use of the ACIP immunization schedule in delivering services to individuals and population groups within twelve (12) months of employment .
- Assume responsibility for maintaining professional development and competencies required for Arizona Nursing Licensure, and for training and education that is beneficial for the field of public health, public health nursing, and the essential services and core functions of public health.
- Must pass drug screen post offer.
- Principles of nursing theory and the practice of biological, social and behavioral science.
- Record maintenance procedures.
- Community assessment methods and can distinguish between quantitative and qualitative community assessment data, understands incidence and prevalence data; how to access basic community epidemiological data.
- How to implement strategies to increase access to care and establish systems of personal care services, including preventive and health promotion services, in partnership with the community.
- Department policies, rules and procedures
- Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- Providing practice- and competency-based educational experiences for the public and public health workforce and provide expertise in developing and teaching public health curricula through partnerships with community organizations and academia.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employee, other agencies and the public.
- Applying communication and group dynamic strategies in interactions with individuals and groups.
- Incorporating strategies for interacting with persons from diverse backgrounds.
- Preventing, minimizing, and containing adverse health events and conditions resulting from communicable diseases; food-, water-, and vector-borne outbreaks, chronic diseases; environmental hazards; injuries; and health disparities.
- Demonstrating support of Public Health's mission to protect and promote the health of all residents through implementing primary prevention strategies which prevent health problems from starting, spreading, or progressing.
- Communicating and maintaining professionalism (demonstrating courtesy and respect) with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Provide targeted, culturally appropriate information to help individuals, families and communities understand what decisions they can make to be healthy.
- Implement the nurse process which includes physical assessment, nurse diagnosis, interventions and evaluations to clients.
- Implement the essential services of public health within assigned public health activities.
- Implement multiple interventions and activities that promote health and prevent disease, in settings including, but not limited to all Health Department buildings/sites,homes, community organizations and businesses, schools, and the community in general.
- Follow established Public Health h medical records policies and documentation procedures as well as the State and Federal laws that govern the release of health care information.
- Advocate for policies that lessen health disparities and improve physical, behavioral, environmental, social, and economic conditions in the community that affect the public's health.
- Support and promote the department's vision, mission, and core values. Promote team and organization learning; respond with flexibility to changing needs of the department and Public Health Programs.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing, and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety.
- Comply with Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.