San Diego State University is seeking applicants with demonstrated experience and/or commitment to teaching and working effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and members of historically underrepresented groups.
Initial review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on October 18, 2019. To receive full consideration, apply by October 17, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
This position is in the Management Personnel Plan (Administrator I) and earns management benefits including medical, dental, vision, $100,000 life insurance plan, and the CalPERS pension plan. For more information on benefits included for this position, please see the benefits summary.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible, at will position. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. but may vary based on operational needs.
Under the direction of the Associate Vice President and Chief Communications Officer, the Director of Marketing and Digital Media is responsible for the development of comprehensive marketing and communications strategies, campaign and materials. These efforts target diverse audiences, including students, parents and families, faculty members, alumni, general community members, elected officials and other constituencies. The incumbent will also assist in issues management and crisis communications and support editorial and content strategy.
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $7,667 per month. CSU Classification Salary Range: $3,750 - $10,417 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department's fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
Bachelor's degree in journalism, public relations, communications, graphic design, English or a related communication field and at least two years of related professional level experience OR any equivalent combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
Preferred Qualifications and Specialized Skills
• At least 5 years of professional experience as an editor and/or writer.
• At least 5 years of professional experience in maintaining and developing websites.
• At least 5 years of professional experience creating and managing digital marketing initiatives, including social media platforms.
• Demonstrated writing and editing skills to oversee and participate in a variety of copy writing activities for print, digital and web-based materials.
• Experience working with a CRM solutions, email automation systems, content management system and social media integration.
• Must be available to respond to situations at night and on weekends as necessary.
• Familiarity with usability and web accessibility standards (Section 508).
• Demonstrated skill in managing financial resources, including a thorough understanding of budgets and the principles of accounting to be able to fully manage the department's marketing budget.
• Experience developing and executing digital advertising initiatives.
• Up-to-date knowledge of how to effectively use new media technologies for effective marketing and communications strategies and campaigns.
• Working knowledge of programs such as Photoshop and Excel.
• Must have experience and demonstrated knowledge in managing electronic communications initiatives, including experience with electronic newsletters, Intranets, Internet and other web-based communications.
• Must have proven success participating in cross-functional teams and strategic planning processes.
• Demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills to successfully manage the hiring, training, evaluation and discipline of a professional and student staff.
• Demonstrated political acumen, key relationship building, and persuasiveness.
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply Now" button on this page. You must submit the required application materials, including cover letter and resume, by clicking on the "Submit" button. If you need assistance completing your application, please click here.
Applicants with disabilities requiring assistance may call (619) 594-3953.
All management and executive employees shall be required to provide a written statement to the appropriate administrator of any and all outside employment. Employees shall also provide a written statement of outside employment if a written request by an administrator is made.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke free campus. For more information, please click here.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled