SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The starting salary will be between $2,600.00/month to $3,808/month.
Cal State East Bay offers a broad range of benefits that includes medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), 401k, 457, 403(b), dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, life insurance, vacation and sick, 13 paid holidays, one personal holiday and tuition fee waiver.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
Student Health and Counseling Services provides basic, augmented and preventive health care to CSUEB students. These services support the clinic's mission to have students achieve and maintain an optimal state of health so they may attain their academic and career goals.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Medical Assistant (MA), is a patient caregiver who, under the general supervision of the Nursing Supervisor and the medical supervision of Student Health and Counseling Services' (SHCS) Medical Director and other CSUEB Physicians, is responsible for direct and indirect patient care activities including phlebotomy and Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA) waived laboratory testing. The MA also helps maintain efficient and effective workflow to ensure high quality health care.
This is a temporary, full-time position through June 30, 2020, with the possibility of reappointment.
Clinical Support Duties
* Refers to patient's charts and/or Electronic Medical Records (EMR) to obtain orders to initiate authorized patient care or testing.
* Assists in maintaining the SHCS Clinic and SHCS CLIA waived Lab in state of preparedness by performing the basic infection control practices of cleaning and sanitizing work surfaces, performing regular equipment maintenance checks, maintaining inventory, and regularly ordering and restocking with appropriate supplies, and materials used in the SHCS clinic and SHCS laboratory.
* Ensures applicable equipment is operating at required temperatures and humidity.
* Measures and records objective patient data (e.g. patient ID, vital signs, height, weight, vision, hearing tests) in patient record as determined by nature of visit or as directed by clinician.
* Prepares examining room and patient for type of examination to be performed, including set-up and clean-up of examining room and patient, using basic infection control practices, universal precautions and aseptic techniques.
* Assists clinicians with minor surgical procedures; includes proper set-up, clean-up and patient preparation.
* Assists clinicians with specialized procedures and treatments (i.e. IUCD insertion and removal, casting, ear irrigation, suture removal, dressing change), including proper set-up, clean-up and patient preparation.
* Performs EKG's as ordered by the clinician.
* Provides chaperones services as needed.
* With advanced training and CSUEB SHCS competency testing, may administer medications by intradermal, subcutaneous or intramuscular injections, perform skin tests and measure/ describe skin test reactions per established protocols.
* Assists disabled students with personal care.
* Maintains accurate recordkeeping of lot numbers, expiration dates and control logs required for compliance with SHCS protocols and State and Federal regulations.
* With training and current CPT1 certificate performs skin punctures and venipunctures within the SHCS as ordered by Iicensed medical providers.
* Follows Pre-collection, Collection, and Post-collection procedures including compliance with SHCS Exposure Control Plan requirements to collect, label and process clinical specimens including phlebotomy specimens.
* Processes and prepares clinical specimens for transfer to reference laboratory.
* With specific training and current SHCS documented competency performs CLIA-Waived tests ordered by SHCS physicians or other licensed practitioners.
* Performs CLIA-waived testing and CLIA-waived control specimen testing per SHCS protocols and test manufacturer's instructions.
* Operates a variety of clinical and laboratory equipment including equipment for CLIA-waived testing.
* Documents medical history and examination findings including vital signs as required by SHCS protocols in SHCS EHR and SHCS Practice Management system.
* Documents CLIA-waived testing results and control results in clinic practice management software program.
* Performs laboratory administrative and clerical functions, including patient record-keeping and the preparation and transmission of specimen documentation.
* Maintains accurate records of lot numbers, expiration dates, control logs, Daily Communication Error Exception Logs, Lab Outstanding Test logs, follow up documentation and resolution forms for compliance with SHCS protocols and applicable regulations.
* Maintains daily SHCS laboratory and vaccine refrigerator and freezer logs.
* Maintains daily, weekly and monthly SHCS Clinic checklists.
* Documents errors and/ or problems in SHCS Incident Reporting process.
* Assists with effective management of patient flow to clinicians and ancillary services.
* Communicates with other Health Center staff (providers, nursing support staff, medical records personnel, etc.) to enhance the effectiveness patient flow and is aware of provider's availability at all times.
* Prepares instrument packets and trays, sterilizes instruments and other equipment used in clinical areas of the SHCS per SHCS protocols.
* Performs daily, weekly and monthly autoclave performance (temperature, vacuum & biological) testing.
* Maintains logs for compliance with SHCS protocols and regulatory agencies.
* Demonstrate Safe work practices for oneself, others in the SHCS.
Other Duties as Assigned.
* Certificate of completion from Medical Assisting School.
* Current valid California Phlebotomy Technician I Certificate (CPT I)
* Current Basic Life Support / Automated External Defibrillator Certificate (CPR/AED)
* General knowledge of clinic and laboratory operations and equipment
* Working knowledge of aseptic techniques, Bloodborne Pathogens, Needlestick Safety and Prevention and universal precautions to be employed when using needles and other sharps
* Understanding of clinic and laboratory safety and quality assurance practices and procedures
* Working knowledge of CLIA-waived testing procedures, methods, and criteria
* Basic knowledge of medical terminology pertinent to clinic and laboratory operations
* Basic knowledge of CSU, State and Federal information privacy regulations including HIPAA
* Understanding of patient confidentiality and the privacy of individually identifiable health information (PHI)
* Basic knowledge of applicable laws and regulations pertaining to MA's clinical and clinical laboratory duties
* Effective communication skills
* Ability to work tactfully and harmoniously with students, staff and others in a diverse community
* Ability to provide excellent customer service
* Current California Phlebotomy Technician I Certificate (CPT I)
* Current Basic Life Support/ Automated External Defibrillator Certificate (CPR/AED)
* Computer skills; ability to use CSUEB SHCS practice management software program, laboratory program, use email and Microsoft Office applications
* Ability to independently implement routine clerical procedures
* Core Competencies - embody the following competencies:
- Effective oral, written and nonverbal communication skills
- Customer/Client Focus with an emphasis in problem solving and resolution
- Personal effectiveness and credibility as demonstrated by interpersonal and professional confidence
High school diploma or equivalent or combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge and abilities. While Medical Assistants are not certified, registered, or licensed in the State of California, the Medical Board of California requires that medical assistants complete specific types and hours of training to perform the duties outlined in their scope of practice. This training must be documented and a physician or other qualified teacher, as identified by the Medical Board of California, must certify in writing that the Medical Assistant has completed the training successfully.
CSU-specific requirements are as follows:
Incumbents are required to possess a certificate of completion from an accredited and approved medical assisting program through the Department of Education or Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education within the Department of Consumer Affairs. In this case, the supervising CSU physician must verify competencies.
If a Medical Assistant is performing phlebotomy outside the regular scope of practice, appropriate phlebotomy certification may be required by the State of California.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
* Previous experience providing healthcare services to young adults.
* Certification as Certified Medical Assistant.
* 6 to 12 months of related experience in a health care setting.
HOW TO APPLY:
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
May have exposure to blood and bodily fluids for which there is risk for blood borne pathogens and other communicable (aerosol transmissible) diseases.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
Closing Date/Time: Open until filled