The Position OPEN UNTIL FILLEDBargaining Unit: Local 856 - Health Services Unit
The Contra Costa County Health Services Department is offering an excellent career opportunity for qualified individuals interested in the Senior Cytotechnologist position located at the Contra Costa Regional Medical Center in Martinez, CA.
Under general direction, Senior Cytotechnologists perform general and specialized procedures relating to the preliminary evaluation of cytologic materials obtained from individuals; documents quality assurance and qualify control; writes protocols for new procedures; ensures adherence to applicable State and Federal regulations; schedules and records preventative maintenance for medical instruments; resolves day-to-day technical problems; collects data and information for Pathologist and assists less experienced Cytotechnologists with complex cytology specimen handling; and performs other related work as required.The ideal candidate will have a proven track record demonstrating the following:
Characteristics of the ideal candidate:
- Ability to make concentrated solutions of body secretions and to prepare slides with skill and accuracy
- Ability to make accurate observations and records of test results
- Knowledge of accepted practices of standard records maintenance
- Organized and maintains accurate records
- Communicates effectively both in writing and orally
Read the complete job description at www.cccounty.us/hr
. The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.TENTATIVE EXAM DATE:Tentative Training and Experience Evaluation:
Periodically Until FilledTypical Tasks
Minimum Qualifications License Required:
- Participates with the Cytotechnologist in the preparation, examination and preliminary diagnosis of all cytologic specimens including bedside assistance at fine needle aspirations
- Assists the Cytotechnologist on difficult cases and resolves day to day technical problems
- Researches, develops, verifies and evaluates new or modified procedures, techniques and equipment
- Revises cytopathology manuals annually or as needed
- Schedules and records preventive maintenance for all instruments
- Coordinates quality control programs and in-house continuing education
- Documents and maintains State and Federally mandated statistics and those required by professional organizations and laboratory policy
- Collects data for cytology quality assurance programs and other information needed by the pathologists
- Evaluates validity of test data
Possession of a valid License as a Cytotechnologist issued by the State of California Department of Health.Experience:
Three (3) years of full-time, or its equivalent, experience in a laboratory performing cytologic tests and analysis.OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
A background investigation/fingerprint and/or physical exam may be required prior to the start of employment.A COMPLETED SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONNAIRE IS REQUIRED AND YOU MUST ATTACH A COPY OF YOUR LICENSE TO YOUR APPLICATION.Selection Process 1. Application Filing:
All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A supplemental questionnaire is required.2. Application Evaluation:
Depending on the number of applications received, an Application Evaluation Board may be convened to evaluate and select the best-qualified candidates for invitation to the next phase of the examination.3. Training and Experience Evaluation:
Consists of an evaluation of each candidate's relevant education, training and/or experience as presented on the application and supplemental questionnaire. (Weighted 100%).
4. Candidates must receive a score of at least 70, which may be an adjusted score, in order to be ranked on the eligible list.
The examination steps noted above may be changed in accordance with the County's Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.CONVICTION HISTORY
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identify, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.