- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in Business Administration, Public Administration, Urban Planning, and Engineering or in a field related to the job, plus six (6) years of related experience in the environmental field, public or business administration, four (4) years of which were in a managerial capacity.
Master's degree may substitute for experience up to a maximum of two (2) years.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
Notes to Applicants
- Valid Texas Class C Driver License
This recruitment will be led by Ralph Andersen & Associates.
To be considered, candidates must submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.comPlease click here to be routed to the consultant's web page for additional information and to view or download a brochure that details this opportunity.
Interested candidates should apply by January 21, 2020.
Prior to final interviews, candidates will be required to sign a release form to authorize verifications to be conducted including degrees obtained and other certifications.Pay Range
8am-5pm, M-F, Council/Board/Commission meetings, and other hours as business demandsJob Close Date Type of Posting
Development Services Dept Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
505 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704 Preferred Qualifications Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
Oversees the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs and services that support the department's purpose.
Represents the department's interest and position before state and local governmental officials, boards, commissions, associations and community organizations.
Develops a staffing structure that supports the efficient delivery of programs and services.
Develops and implements short and long-range strategies, objectives, and priorities.
Fosters and develops a culture of positive customer service in working relationships with key staff, division and departmental employees, other governmental organizations, and with external services, such as consultants, citizens, legal counsel, boards, and commissions, and City Council.
Builds and manages effective management teams.
Responds to and resolves complex and sensitive issues and complaints both internal and external.
Assists the Director in managing program and department activities.
Directs the activities of personnel in planning the operating budget for the department.
Ensures all activities are complete and in compliance with city/departmental policies and procedures, local, state, and federal regulations and laws governing activities
Attends City Council meetings
Responsibilities - Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of fiscal planning and budgeting preparation
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of public administration
- Skill in directing the activities of a complex and diverse organization
- Skill in oral and written communications
- Skill in handling multiple tasks and priorities
- Skill in data analysis and problem solving
- Skill in using computers and related software applications
- Ability to interpret, recommend and propose revisions to state statutes and city ordinances
- Ability to consistently, effectively, and tactfully communicate with people at many levels
- Ability to communicate complex, technical issues in non-technical terms to the general public
- Ability to plan strategically
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with City employees, the public, elected officials, and boards and commissions
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual's AIDS , AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents