Building Services Deputy Officer Job Requisition Number
COA081006 Position Number
107096 Job Type
Full-Time Division Name
Building Services Department Minimum Qualifications
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major coursework in a related field to Business, Engineering, Architecture, Real Estate or related field plus four (4) years of related experience in facility maintenance or management, two of which must have been in a management capacity, OR
Master's Degree in Business, Engineering, Architecture or Real Estate or related may substitute for one (1) year of the required years of experience.
Licenses or Certifications:
Any required licenses or certifications.
Requires a valid driver's license.Notes to Applicants
Interested candidates should apply by Monday, November 18, 2019. Electronic submittals are strongly preferred. To firstname.lastname@example.org and should include a compelling cover letter and comprehensive resume. Confidential resume and cover letter electronically to Greg Nelson at inquiries are welcomed to Mr. Greg Nelson at (916) 6304900.
This exciting opportunity can be found by clicking below:Building Services Deputy Officer Brochure
Prior to final interviews, candidates will be required to sign a release form to authorize verifications to be conducted including degrees obtained and other certifications.Pay Range
8:00 - 5:00 pm or as required by business needsJob Close Date Type of Posting
Building Services Regular/Temporary
Regular Grant Funded or Pooled Position
Not Applicable Category
411 Chicon Street, Austin, Tx 78702 Preferred Qualifications
The City of Austin seeks to hire a highly qualified Building Services Deputy Officer, a senior management position, to support the Building Services Officer in directing the operations, strategic direction, and asset management services for 260 facilities encompassing 6.3 million square feet distributed over a 300 square miles. The Building Services Department provides strategic facilities planning, custodial, carpentry, plumbing, HVAC , electrical, security, locksmith, property management, safety, project management, and mail services for city facilities.
The City of Austin is the fastest growing city in the country; a fact which is driving increased service demand for City programs and operations. Helping the Building Services Officer manage the impacts of this growth on City building infrastructure to support City programs and services is a key role of this position. In the last eighteen months, Building Services transitioned from a division into a City department and is in the process of transforming from a fix-on-failure reactive maintenance culture into a proactive and strategic asset management organization. As a separate department, leadership must interface with senior executives and elected officials regarding relevant policies, performance, planning, and budget. The ideal candidate will be comfortable communicating and working with the City's senior executives, elected officials, and other agencies.
The Deputy Officer will be responsible for recommendations regarding deferred maintenance, capital renewal, and operational efficiencies including service delivery means and methods, leadership and governance over the department's operational wing. This new leadership position will provide visionary operational perspective to optimize building infrastructure reliability, sustainability, and efficiency.
Candidates should have strong facilities operational experience including an understanding of best work practices for custodial, trades, project, and property management functions in the department. Demonstrated ability in preventative maintenance methodologies and skill with developing front line employees into cohesive, integrated teams is desired. Sustainability is a cornerstone of City operations hence candidates should have strong knowledge of USGB LEED standards, and other related systems in energy management, Green Seal, and waste reduction programs.
This position will assist with the implementation of a proactive and strategic asset management model. The Deputy Building Services Officer will have skill in the collection, analysis, and management of data related to systems measuring building performance, operational efficiency, and increase return on investment. This senior leader should possess demonstrated experience in building a culture of continuous improvement using performance excellence models that emphasize: leadership, workforce development, customer focus, process design/improvement, technology, strategic planning, and results. Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Assists with the management, operations and maintenance of City of Austin facilities and property to ensure effectiveness and efficiency.
2. Participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned service areas, programs and operations; recommends and administers policies and procedures. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within division and departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
3. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; recommends, within division and departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels.
4. Oversees and administers the daily operations of the building maintenance.
5. Participates in the development and administration of Building Services annual budget, participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures and implements adjustments.
6. Oversees the activities for safety programs for assigned sections and work groups and oversees the planning for safety programs and activities; ensures compliance with safety and environmental requirements.
7. Oversees and participates in providing customer service to internal and external customers; responds to and resolves difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
8. Provides financial managerial reports as required.
9. Assists with development and monitoring of operations and maintenance, capital budgets and responds to deviations from cost/time line projections.
10. Assists with development and implementation of Building Services business plans that promotes completion of the overall City of Austin business/strategic plans and initiatives.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling and recommendation for dismissal. .Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of municipal asset utilization and regulatory and legislative issues.
Knowledge of building maintenance, practices, issues and policies.
Knowledge of real estate management processes, practices, issues and policies.
Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and methods.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning an organizing.
Ability to structure a complex organization to meet changing environments.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Ability to quickly recognize, analyze and respond to irregular events and emergencies.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in prioritiesCriminal Background Investigation
This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation. EEO/ADA
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within
the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Optional & Required Documents
Required Documents Optional Documents