Under general supervision, to perform skilled and semi-skilled crafts work in the repair, maintenance, rehabilitation and construction of park facilities or trails within the County Regional Park System and may provide lead supervision, on a project basis, to lower level Park Maintenance Workers, welfare crews, seasonal employees and volunteers.The position will be assigned work at any of the County Park locations throughout the Santa Clara County Parks System and works a schedule that consists of four (4) ten (10) hour days.NOTE: Candidates who meet the employment standards will be invited to take a written examination. The written is tentatively scheduled for Thursday, January 9, 2020.
Performs skilled and semi-skilled level crafts tasks in the construction, maintenance, and repair of park facilities such as:
- Building, framing and finishing of new or rehabilitated park structures, and other miscellaneous carpentry work;
- Construction, restoration, or repair of park roads and trails and trail related structures such as bridges, retaining walls, stairs, fencing, or water drainage structures;
- Plumbing installation, maintenance, and/or repairs of potable water systems, sewage systems, and irrigation systems;
- Masonry work including pavement repair or maintenance including drainage structures and slope stabilization, construction, maintenance or repair of concrete foundations, slabs, and/or retaining walls or other structures and tile work;
- Painting and coating of facilities including materials selection and mixing, surface preparation and application;
- Provide project lead direction for various construction projects;
- Maintains accurate logs, reports, and records of work performed and materials and equipment used;
- Assists in training other Departmental employees, and volunteers, in basic park maintenance, construction skills, tool safety and tool usage;
- May be assigned as a Disaster Service Worker, as required;
- Performs other related work as required.
Employment Standards Training and Experience Note:
A qualified applicant will have four (4) years' experience in construction work at a sub-journey level in one or more of the following trades: carpentry, electrical, plumbing, painting, or masonry;
Possession of a valid California driver's license prior to appointment, and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County driver's permit.
Possession of a Standard First Aid and CPR certificate issued by the American Red Cross before completion of the probationary period.
Requirement to obtain any licenses and/or certificates required to perform the typical tasks listed that are required by State, Federal and other governmental agencies.Knowledge of:
- Methods, materials, tools and equipment used in carpentry, painting, plumbing and masonry;
- Repair and maintenance of parks facilities and infrastructures work;
- Safe use and standard methods of materials, tools, and equipment used in building crafts;
- Techniques for providing a high level of customer service by effectively dealing with the public, vendors, contractors, and Santa Clara County Park staff;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, regulatory codes, ordinances, and procedures relevant to assigned area of responsibility;
- Modern office practices, methods, computer equipment, and basic computer applications;
- Principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting;
- Safe driving rules and practices.
- Lead and coordinate work of others on a project basis;
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions;
- Safely and effectively operate tools and equipment;
- Work independently and as a team member; organize own work; recognize and set priorities and meet deadlines;
- Read, interpret, and apply technical information from manuals, drawings, specifications, layouts, blueprints, and schematics;
- Troubleshoot working problems as they arise;
- Establish and maintain effective working and cooperative relationships with the public, Department employees, and other agencies;
- Communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
- Willingness to work weekends, holidays, or other irregular hours and to conform to departmental uniform standards;
- Perform a variety of manual tasks which requires an ability to, stoop, bend, kneel, climb, twist, push/pull, lift, drag and carry materials and objects;
- Lift and carry materials and objects weighing up to 60 pounds;
- Work outside and under adverse working conditions, including the ability to walk on steep and/or uneven terrain.
Closing Date/Time: 12/18/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.