The City of Portland is seeking a supervising engineer within the Bureau of Environmental Service intheir Construction Services Division!About the position:
This position works autonomously under the general direction of the division manager and is responsible for managing distinct construction management (CM) groups of approximately 10 staff.
They are responsible for the safety, wellbeing, and professional development of their assigned teams. In addition, this position is focused on constructing a wide variety of capital improvement projects in the City of Portland's Bureau of Environmental Services' (BES) Construction Services Division in the Engineering Services Group. BES manages a capital budget of $100 to $150 million annually.Other duties include:
- Work together with construction management teams and other BES staff/managers to deliver new wastewater andstorm waterassets to protect public health and water quality
- Manage, coach, and mentor approximately 10 staff and help them in all aspects of their small to large complex infrastructure projects including defining scope, schedule and budget, plan and specification design reviews and construction management
- Oversee projects to ensure quality, safety, contractibility, cost control and adherence to City and industry standards and best practices
- Provide strong understanding of construction managementincludingchange orders, negotiations, and claims
- Provide technical skills in traffic control, geotechnical reports and engineering, civil engineering and pipe construction including trenchless technologies
- Provide leadership to create a high performance, service oriented and diverse work environment
- Participate in group, bureau, or citywide committees and programs that develop new processes and procedures, support workplace safety, support diversity, or other initiatives
- Pursue the goals, desired outcomes, and strategic initiatives defined in the City of Portland Bureau of Environmental Services 10-year strategic plan
An ideal candidate
- Stormwater and sanitary sewer pipe installation andrehabilitation using open cut and trenchless methods
- Stream restoration work to protect infrastructure, restore natural stream function, and improve fish and wildlife habitat
- Culvert replacements to provide surface water conveyance and fish passage
will be a proven equitable leader with a strong understanding of construction management including change orders, negotiations, and claims. They will have a proven track record of managing multiple complex projects and showcase strong written and communication skills.About the division:
The Engineering Services Group manages Capital repair, rehabilitation, and expansion of Portland's sanitary andstormwatercollection systems, pump stations, and treatment plants. They also support watershed health by enhancing streams, restoring habitat, and implementingstormwatermanagement projects. Within Engineering Services, theConstruction Division
provides construction contract oversight for the Bureau'sCapital Improvement Program.About BES:
BES manages wastewater and stormwater infrastructure to protect public health and the environment, and is a mission-driven, high performing organization leading the city in preserving and protecting the health of Portland's watersheds. Our assets include two wastewater treatment plants, 98 pump stations, 3000 miles of pipes, and thousands of ' green' assets. BES is committed to diversity and equity through its service delivery, internal operations, organizational culture, and in its work with partners and the community. For more information about BES, please visithttp://www.portlandoreqon.gov/bes
. About the City of Portland
Lauded as one of the best places to live in America, Portland is a city with a vibrant downtown, diverse neighborhoods, natural beauty, good schools and friendly people. Home to about 650,000 residents within 145 square miles, Portland maintains deep ties to the Pacific Northwest's natural beauty. Portland is listed among the top 25 arts destinations in the United States, named one of the best cycling cities in North America, and one of America's best walking towns. Mount Hood, the Cascade Mountain Range and the renowned Oregon Coast are all just over an hour away. There are 37,000 acres of parks and green spaces within the metropolitan area including the largest urban wilderness in the U.S.: the 5,000-acre Forest Park located within the city limits. Average temperatures range between 34° in winter to 80° in summer and Portland receives 37" of rain annually, less than Seattle, Houston, Baltimore, Boston and Atlanta.
=========================================================================To QualifyThe following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
Applicant must also possess:
- Experienceapplying engineering principles and construction trends related to sewer and stormwater systems
- Experience with cost estimating, scheduling, regulations, industry standards and equipment applicable to the construction of wastewater and storm water systems
- Experienceplanning, assigning, and supervising the work of professional and technical subordinatesincludingproviding coaching and professional development support
- Experiencepreparing and managing complex construction projects and program level budgets
- Experienceadministering construction contracts and interpreting complex technical documents like engineering plans, codes, and regulationsrelated tosanitary and storm pipelines, water quality facilities, pumping and/or wastewater facilities
- Abilityto interact effectively with diverse staff, partners, and other managers across workgroups to problem solve and communicate technical matters to non-technical individuals
- A valid state driver's license and an acceptable driving record
- A certificate to practice as a registered Professional Engineer
- Oregon professional Engineer Certificate within 6 months of hire
=========================================================================The Recruitment ProcessStep 1: Applications Received:
Your resumeand answers to the supplemental questions
will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. A cover letter, although not required, may be attached as a 1 page letter of interest.
Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, trainingand/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects yourqualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" sectionof this announcement.
- Your resume should support the details described in your answers to the supplemental questions.
- A cover letter is not required for this job. If you choose to attach one, it should be a brief 1 page letter of interest which will only be reviewed after the eligible list is established
Minimum Qualification Review is conducted. This review consists of reading all of the supplemental questions and ensuring that the materials presented meet minimum qualifications.Step 3:
Eligible list is created. All candidates will be notified via email regarding status of their application.Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.Step 4:
Hiring manager and subject matter experts review applications materials of those on the eligible list. (Timeline: approximately 1-2 weeks)Step 5:
Interviews and Offer:Tentative Timeline:
Job Opens: 11/18
Job Closes: 12/9
Minimum Qualification Review: 11/18-12/11
Eligible List Established: 12/13
Interviews: Late December-Early January
Offer: Early-Mid JanuaryVeteran's Preference: Ifyou are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describein your answers any transferrable skills obtained during your militaryservice and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualificationsunder the "To Qualify" section above
=========================================================================Additional InformationWork Status:
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply.Did you know?
The City of Portland offers How to Apply Classes that are free and review tips and tricks when applying to the City. Follow the link for the most recent list of scheduled dates:www.bit.ly/howtoapplyclassContact Information:
email@example.comClosing Date/Time: 12/9/2019 11:59 PM Pacific