Under supervision of permanent Registrar of Voters' staff prepares, verifies and reviews election materials such as provisional ballots and petitions, supports election functions and performs related tasks as required.
Assignments in this classification are temporary part-time assignments, plus overtime as needed, normally during election season.This recruitment is to establish an Extra-Help eligible list for the Registrar of Voters.
- Assists with recruiting locations for polling places, training classes, distribution and return centers, ballot drop-off sites, and voting centers, including assisting with documentation to determine accessibility and legal compliance;
- Researches, compiles, and distributes reports of election data and information as needed;
- Assists in preparing, verifying, and processing GIS data and other records for voting districts and precincts;
- Maintains office files and records for election workers and volunteers, including those of a confidential nature;
- Recruits and trains Election Volunteers, screens volunteers for Megan's Law database and other requirements;
- Participates in voter education and outreach events;
- Advises Election Volunteers on resolutions to possible problems in accordance with procedure;
- Prepares, verifies, and processes Vote by Mail and Provisional Ballots, including review of challenged ballots;
- Prepares, verifies, and processes Petitions, including nominations, initiative, and recall, and performs second-level verifications;
- Proofreads translations, bilingual official ballots, sample ballot and voter information pamphlet text, department website information, publications, and other election-related voter materials;
- Administers candidate nominations, measures, and campaign finance filings, including preparation and maintenance of records;
- Issues ballots to qualified voters in person and by mail, including issuance of emergency ballots and other exceptional cases;
- Updates voter registration records based on information from statewide voter registration database and other government agencies, including USPS and DMV;
- Processes requests for voter files;
- Exercises considerable judgment, discretion and interpretive ability in determining the needs of callers and visitors;
- May offer orientation or answer procedural questions;
- Performs related work as required.
Sufficient education and experience, which demonstrates possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities: Training and Experience Note:
The knowledge and abilities required to perform this function are normally attained through training and experience equivalent to possession of a high school diploma
Two (2) years of work experience performing a wide variety of clerical duties, or one (1) year of work experience equivalent to that of a Santa Clara County Office Specialist II or Election Worker I.
Possession of a valid California Driver's license prior to appointment and the ability to qualify for and maintain a County Driver's Permit is required for some assignments. Knowledge of
- Office practices and procedures, including filing systems, financial record keeping, reference sources and preparation of correspondence and reports;
- English vocabulary, grammar, spelling, punctuation and style/format;
- Customer services principles, including the handling of irate and distressed people;
- Computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet and/or database;
- Basic mathematics to perform simple calculations and statistical reports;
- Telephone procedures and etiquette.
- Deal tactfully with members of the public often under stressful conditions;
- Communicate effectively in providing information and assisting callers and visitors;
- Use a keyboard with moderate speed and a high level of accuracy;
- Use discretion in organizing activities and set priorities;
- Prepare concise reports;
- Interpret and apply specific laws and ordinances, office policies and procedures;
- Effectively organize activities and prioritize to meet deadlines;
- Operate standard office equipment;
- Work evenings, weekends, and holidays, as needed due to the workload.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous
Please mention you found this employment opportunity on the CareersInGovernment.com job board.