Job SummaryMohave County is currently accepting applications for the position of Public Safety Dispatcher.
*This position may be subject to a polygraph test*
This position of Public Safety Dispatcheris Range 10, Step 01, $15.66/hr.
Performs entry level work involved in simultaneously operating a multi-channel radio console, computer terminal, 911 mapping and multi-line telephone while maintaining a computer aided dispatch system, receives and transmits information and transmits messages and instructions to law enforcement response personnel within policy and procedural guidelines. Must be able to work with multiple computer terminals and monitors simultaneously, accurately, expeditious and efficient data entry into multiple systems. Need for accuracy, speed and efficiency in researching multiple systems and distribution of data/information to a multitude of requestors. REPORTS TO
On-the-job training is performed under immediate supervision of a higher level of authority; however, as skill and experience are gained in fulfilling routine duties, increasingly independent action and decisions in accordance with established policies and procedures may be authorized. SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Upon completion of the Sheriff's Office eighteen (18) week telecommunications course, oversee and assist new employees with proper guidance and direction when necessary.Essential Job Functions
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- In a learning and training capacity, an employee will assist and perform (as level of understanding and experience increases) in any or all of the examples of work performed by a Public Safety Dispatcher.
- Receives, evaluates and prioritizes calls from citizens reporting emergencies or problems.
- Communicates with caller until information is fully understood.
- Calms and counsels distraught and irate callers in emergency situations.
- Efficiently informs Sheriff's personnel of the nature and location of the problem.
- Dispatches appropriate units to emergency scenes.
- Communicates streets, address and locations to units in the field.
- Assists unit in determined best route as necessary.
- Maintains contact with officers.
- Responsible for accurate data entry in local, in-house, state and national criminal justice records systems.
- Knowledge of the 911 system, how to obtain caller location and decipher such data to usable information for field units.
- Knowledge of all security regulations as to use of and distribution of all information obtained via criminal justice terminals and equipment.
- Monitors and recalls immediate locations and assignments of public safety personnel.
- Sends and receives messages via criminal justice computer system.
- Responsible for the security and confidentiality of criminal histories and other sensitive information received in the communication center.
- Maintains logs pertaining to calls for service, time and disposition of calls and field unit status.
- Conducts periodic checks of equipment to assure proper functioning.
- Keeps informed of county geography, street locations, patrol districts and other agency boundaries.
- Maintains reference materials and keep informed of basic laws, codes, ordinances, Sheriff's Office regulations, policies, procedures, organizational structure and functions.
- Performs related work as required.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- High School diploma /GED.
- Any acceptable combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and useful clerical/office experience to include office training skills received in high school or a higher level of an educational facility.
- OR any equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities will be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
- Must demonstrate the ability to type a minimum of 30 words per minute (WPM).
- Possess a willingness to strive and obtain a Terminal Operator Certification within six (6) months of appointment.
- Must successfully complete National Incident Management System (NIMS) Incident Command levels 100 LE.b, 200.b and 700.a courses.
- Probationary period of One (1) year.
- All candidates will be required to successfully complete a thorough criminal background, fingerprint and health-related examination.May require successful completion of a psychological and polygraph examination.
- Filing methods, typing, telephone answering, and other office procedures.
- Correct punctuation, spelling, grammatical usage, reading skills and other communication skills.
- Mohave CountyPersonnel Policies and Procedures, and Department Regulation.
- Map reading skills
- Customer service
- Operating computer terminal, telephones and all office equipment including but not limited to copier, facsimile.
- Learn operations of radio console, 911 equipment including but not limited to mapping, GIS, GPS coordinate plotting and caller tracking.
- Prioritize tasks/learn geography of Mohave County and surrounding counties.
- Hearing multiple events simultaneously and take appropriate action immediately.
- Learn all radio codes and officer call signs.
- Comprehend CAD system and any other computer systems utilized within the communications center.
- Understand all aspects of response within the emergency response of Mohave County such as law enforcement, medical, fire and any state and federal response systems.
- Flexibility in handling tasks.
- Understand written and oral instructions.
- Maintain required records and reports.
- Think and act quickly in an appropriate manner during emergency situations and in accordance with prescribed departmental procedures.
- Deal courteously and effectively with the public over the telephone and/or in person.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Comprehend operations instructions pertaining to specialized equipment.
- Maintain a good working relationship with coworkers, members of the department, other agencies and the general public.
- Speak clearly in a well -modulated voice in an acceptable speed.
- Exercise care in the use of supplies and equipment.
- Performs multiple functions simultaneously in a timely manner.
- Effectively and efficiently operate communications equipment.
- Prioritize incoming information in order of importance.
- Work independently with minimal supervision and have a vast knowledge of policies and procedures or have the ability to obtain the information through various resources within three (3) years of employment.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Comply with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures, andDepartment Regulations.