Assists in the planning and directing of the of the Treasurer's Office and will assume the duties of the Treasurer in his/her absence, as well as serving as the investment officer responsible for the daily investment activities of County funds. The employee is expected to exercise initiative, independent judgment and discretion in performing a full range of supervisory and administrative functions and in supervising and evaluating assigned staff. Work is reviewed through conferences and results achieved. REPORTS TO
Mohave County Treasurer SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Supervision is exercised directly over a staff of clerical and technical support staff.Essential Job Functions
As Chief Deputy Treasurer:
- Plans, assigns and directs the work of subordinates engaged in distributing tax bills, processing payments, balancing accounts, investing funds and providing information and assistance to the public.
- Supervises the annual tax lien sale; coordinating the activities between the contracted vendor and the Information Technology Department.
- Assists in the supervision, selection, custody, investment and disbursement of all County revenues.
- Acts as County Treasurer in the absence of the Elected Official.
- Assists in the preparation and maintenance of the department's budget.
- Reviews, updates and implements changes to procedures, processes, tables, computer software and other systems involved in the annual tax billing cycle.
- Coordinates with Assessor's office, financial Services, and Information Technology departments regarding systems and procedures for tax bills, revenue collection and data retrieval.
As Investment Officer:
SECONDARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Analyzes daily cash flow requirements.
- Conducts input and analysis using a variety of analytical tools.
- Monitors the credit rating of portfolio holdings.
- Monitors and resolves all transactions discrepancies to assure prompt settlement.
- Analyzes economic and financial trends and money market conditions for investment.
- Verifies market valuation prices to assure propriety on transactions.
- Identifies funds available for investment.
- In tandem with the Treasurer, orders and directs the transfer of funds and securities to implement trades.
- Develops, proposes and manages investment strategies, policies, portfolio structure, and performance measurement criteria and goals.
- Communicates and acts in a professional manner with the public, co-workers, and work contacts.
- Performs special assignments and research as requested.
- Performs related work as required.
- Exercise regular and predictable attendance and punctuality in accordance with Mohave County Personnel Policies and Procedures.
SPECIAL JOB REQUIREMENT
- Bachelor of Science Degree or four (4) years equivalent specialized experience in business administration, finance, accounting or closely related field.
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience performing supervisory work in a technically oriented environment.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience, and training may be considered in meeting the minimum qualifications.
- Must possess a valid driver's license for operation of motor vehicles on Arizona roads at the start of employment and maintain said license while employed in this position.
- Provide acceptable driving history at no cost to the County.
Experience in a government agency and including demonstrated experience in fixed income portfolio management.Knowledge, Skills & AbilitiesKnowledge of:
- Fiscal administration to include investment strategies, portfolio structures and performance measurement criteria and goals as it relates to bonds and securities.
- Principles and practices of public administration.
- Office management practices and procedures.
- Relevant laws, rules and regulations related to investments and portfolio management.
- Principles of computer operations and related peripheral equipment.
- Effective implementation of administrative and supervisory techniques.
- Principles and practices of leadership, training and supervision.
- State tax laws (preferably Arizona, but not limited to).
- Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- English grammar, spelling, punctuation and mathematical functions.
- Operation of modern office equipment such as personal computer, facsimile, copiers and telephones.
- Personal computer software, including spreadsheet development and word processing.
- Coordinate, supervise and direct the various activities of the areas assigned.
- Set priorities, assign, schedule, train, supervise, audit and evaluate work activities and to persuade and communicate with assigned subordinates effectively.
- Identify and resolve operational and procedural problems and implement corrective actions.
- Understand, interpret and apply pertinent federal, state and local rules, regulations, procedures and policies.
- Work independently.
- Develop appropriate, effective and efficient methods of completing assignments and maintain accurate, up-to-date records and documentation.
- Follow complex oral and written instructions and communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Summarize notes and prepare reports and date for informational or study purposes.
- Make decisions in accordance with established policies and regulations.
- Supervise, work with and communicate effectively with subordinates as assigned.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Comply with Mohave County Merit Rules, Administrative Procedures and Department Regulations.
- Perform the essential functions of the job specifications with or without a reasonable accommodation.