About Our Job
Posting will close on November 30, 2018.
Internships are unpaid positions. We are able to work with your school for school credit.
The Denver Police Department (DPD) - Volunteers in Police Service Program is now accepting applications for graduate students that require a for-credit internship to provide hands-on support in a variety of domains related to Non-Profit Management.
Interns will be working closely with one of the seven COP Shops associated with the Denver Police Department. A COP Shop is a community service non-profit organization operated 100% by volunteers and donations. It is a storefront that is open to all citizens during specified hours, providing crime prevention and community-oriented information to those who stop by; in addition to being available to officers 24 hours a day.
The Internship is intended for graduate-level college students who are exploring career fields and/or whose degree requires an internship. Academic fields recommended for participants in the study areas of: Public Administration, Business Administration, Non-Profit Management or a related discipline.
Applicants will work directly with VIPS Staff and the COP Shop Board President to assist with developing action plans for implementing strategic planning goals and new programming. Projects may include: develop and foster community partnerships; draft, review, comment and edit organization and programmatic goals and objectives; draft, review, edit, interpret and report on budgets, spending plans and other financial reports; draft and review materials for state, federal and foundation reporting requirements; support fundraising and resource development plans in partnership with local community members and businesses; assist with database management, accounting, website updates, social media, event publicity and marketing and other general administrative tasks.
Interns will be directly supervised by the assigned COP Shop President and VIPS Program Coordinator.
Throughout the internship, students can expect to either gain or further their understanding and education of the following;
- Creating and further developing partnerships with other organizations and agencies within the community that benefit and support the Non-Profit
- Direct, hands on understanding of how a Board of Directors operates within a Non-Profit
- Understand and improve upon the basic knowledge of administrative responsibilities within the Non-Profit as it relates to state and federal compliance
- Develop hands on experience collaborating with volunteers, Board of Directors and other members of the Denver Police Department and COP Shop
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Must have a GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Must be enrolled in current college or university master's degree program and be receiving school credit for Internship
- Genuine interest in working with the community to foster positive relationships and experiences with the Police Department
- Willingness to work on a project where the long-term impact won't be realized during the internship
Application Instructions: All interested interns should apply to this position and MUST attach the following:
- Copy of your driver's license
- Signed Certification, Authorization and Waiver regarding Background Check and Completed "New Volunteer Identification Card Request" Form (click here to download. Fill out all 3 pages, upload, and attach)
- Resume to include 3 personal references (a list of references can also be uploaded as a separate document.) Note personal references cannot be family members
- Copy of your transcripts (unofficial is ok to submit)
- Copy of the Syllabus (or something to describes purpose/requirements of internship)
- Cover letter that includes three learning objectives for your internship
In addition to attaching the required documents noted above, when completing the online application, please include sat least seven (7) years of employment history. If you have not been employed for seven years, please provide your complete employment history, documenting any gaps in employment.About Everything Else
WW1122 Unpaid Intern
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Contractor - Contingent Worker
Position Salary Range
$0.00 - $0.00
Denver Police Department
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here