Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.Department
Rolling Stock & ShopsPay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.Pay Rate
$112,707.00 / annually - $170,751.00 / annually (Non-Represented Pay Band 08)
Note: Initial salary offer will be around $130,000-$150,000 annually (depending on experience)Posted Date
November 13, 2019Closing Date
Open Until Further Notice
Initial Screening starting on Friday, December 6th, 2019.Reports To
Group Manager, Production SupportDays Off
Saturday and SundayWho May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.Current Assignment
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART) is pleased to announce an exciting opportunity to advance the reliability of our rail vehicles. As the Principal Reliability Engineer (PRE) for the Rolling Stock & Shops (RS&S) department you would be responsible for leading a team of analysts to support the department's efforts to improve on planned and scheduled maintenance activities, as well as efforts for developing and executing a full lifecycle maintenance program for the new fleet.
Under the direction of the Group Manager of Production Support, the PRE will lead the railcar maintenance program by utilizing best practices in asset lifecycle management, and reliability and minimize the risks of failures impacting BART's customer experience. As a thought leader, the incumbent will also advance Reliability Centered Maintenance strategies focusing on maintaining the assets (the fleet of railcars) and increasing reliability in a cost-effective manner. This includes collecting large-scale vehicle failures data, analyzing incidents causing service delays, and evaluating the effectiveness of preventative maintenance programs including tasks and frequency.
The ideal candidate is a strong leader who has been successful conducting reliability optimization of maintenance activities. The incumbent uses advanced skills in Excel, asset management software, and data visualization tools to manage and conduct the extraction, manipulation, and analysis of data.
The incumbent will provide analysis that drives design, performance and process improvements and will clearly articulate the findings through clear and succinct communications. Beyond a strong inner drive to set and achieve goals, the PRE must demonstrate data-driven technical knowledge, interpersonal, root cause analyses, and problem-solving skills. Demonstratable skills in statistics and data querying and manipulation are essential to moving the production support team to the next level in its long-term plans. Skills in predictive analytics are highly desirable.
The incumbent will be able to effectively communicate to their team of analysts as well as to engineering, executives, senior management, and shop level employees. The incumbent will also provide managers various reports to provide insights, drive decision making, and monitor effectiveness of existing programs.
The incumbent may also serve as a subject matter expert for RS&S management and other District departments in the areas of data analytics, business intelligence, and reporting data related to operations.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following skills/experience beyond the minimum qualifications:
Essential Job Functions
- Experience in extracting, manipulating, analyzing, and joining large amounts of data;
- Successful experience in providing insights for improved operational performance;
- Problem solving skills including ability to frame issues appropriately for analysis;
- Ability to understand complex challenges and work towards a solution;
- Advanced software skills including SQL, DAX, Power BI, Python, R and/or other data manipulation tools as well as significant, in-depth experience in manipulating advanced, relational database systems;
- Excellent research, reading comprehension, and professional writing skills;
- Ability and interest in working in a rapid paced and evolving environment;
- Ability and interest in managing ambiguity;
- Ability and interest in challenging the status quo;
- Ability to present analysis and recommendations in formats appropriate for staff and management;
- Ability and desire to be engaged and curious about work at hand;
- Ability to conduct work in an office or shop environment;
- Interview staff and investigate parts, conditions, and failure modes at train/physical level to inform data sets;
- Communicate effectively with District staff at various levels.
1. Plans, prioritizes, assigns, supervises, reviews and participates in the work of staff responsible for analyzing and documenting system performance and equipment reliability testing.
2. Establishes schedules and methods for providing reliability engineering services; identifies resource needs; reviews needs with appropriate management staff; allocates resources accordingly.
3. Participates in the development of policies and procedures; monitors work activities to ensure compliance with established policies and procedures; makes recommendations for changes and improvements to existing standards and procedures.
4. Recommends and assists in the implementation of goals and objectives; implements approved policies and procedures.
5. Performs the most complex tasks of the work unit including the development and recommendation of alternative technologies to improve system performance.
6. Oversees equipment reliability analyses; defines current failure rates and trends; assesses impact of failures on system service; develops reliability improvements.
7. Monitors contractual warranty performance of high volume vehicles and wayside equipment.
8. Oversees system service reliability analyses; measures train and passenger on-time performance; determines causes of train delay; develops delay reduction or improved computer techniques for accurate on-time measurements.
9. Coordinates and participates in the preparation of reliability performance documents including system operations performance, reports, warranty demonstration tests and special reliability studies.
10. Participates in the selection of assigned staff; provides or coordinates staff training; works with employees to correct deficiencies; implements discipline procedures.
11. Prepares analytical and statistical reports on operations and activities.
12 Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of reliability engineering.
13. Provides expert reliability engineering trial testimony and depositions as assigned.Minimum Qualifications Education:
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, physical sciences, mathematics, computer science or a related field from an accredited college or university.Experience:
Four (4) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable reliability engineering experience including one (1) year administrative or lead supervisory experience. Transit system experience is preferred. Substitution:
Additional professional experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis. A college degree is preferred.WORKING CONDITIONSEnvironmental Conditions:
Office environment; exposure to computer screens.Physical Conditions:
May require maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time.Selection Process
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.Other Information
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any timeNote
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at email@example.com for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.