JobTOWN OF LOS GATOSLIBRARY PAGE
(Part-time) POSITION SUMMARY
Under general supervision, Library Pages perform routine duties and standardized library tasks within established guidelines, including: shelving, check-in, mending and processing, shifting and sorting.Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS STATEMENTS
Essential responsibilities include the following major categories of work and relate to all positions within this series. The examples are intended to be representative and not inclusive of all activities required of the positions.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Sorts and shelves library materials in alphanumerical order, using the Dewey Decimal Classification System.
- Shelf-reads and shifts to ensure that materials are correctly arranged on shelves.
- Checks in materials from book returns.
- Maintains public areas in neat and orderly condition.
- Conducts inventory of library collections to maintain proper order.
- Assists in processing materials.
- Assists in opening and closing procedures.
- Assists in mending materials.
- Assists in setting up for and taking down after library programs.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- Commit to scheduled shifts and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
- Carry out routine clerical and library procedures.
- Easily learn alphabetical and numerical filing systems, such as the Dewey Decimal classification system.
- Demonstrate attention to detail, and the ability to complete assigned tasks in a quiet and speedy manner.
- Attain a shelving speed of 200 books per hour, accurately.
- Follow directions, provide direction, and/or work independently.
- Observe safety principles and work in a safe manner.
The Library Page is an entry-level position requiring the ability to follow oral and written directions and learn routine library procedures, such as shelving methods and the use of office equipment.
Completion of High School
Equivalent of 1 year of full-time library experienceSupplemental information PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT
The position requires routine physical labor, including prolonged sitting, standing, walking, bending, squatting and reaching in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in shelving books and filing other materials. Additionally, the position requires near and far vision in reading written and numeric information and materials. The need to lift, drag and push files, paper, boxes and book carts weighing in excess of 25 pounds is also required. REPRESENTATION
"At-Will"/Unrepresented: Library Page
Closing Date/Time: 12/4/2019 12:00 AM Pacific