About Our Job
This posting is for either our Wastewater Management division or our Street Maintenance division, not both. Both divisions are part of the City and County of Denver's Department Transportation and Infrastructure.
This position requires a performance assessment which involves a pre-trip inspection, post-trip inspection, and maneuvering/driving. To be considered for this position, you must pass this assessment. This assessment will be take place on Friday, January 17, 2019 (however, the date could change depending on weather, vehicle availability, etc.). Additional detailed information will be provided once you are invited for the assessment.
This position requires a background check, physical, and drug test. Some of the available positions include night shift, which is from 2:45 p.m. - 11:15 p.m. Monday through Friday. This shift includes a pay differential.
Denver's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure and services, including transportation planning, design and construction; major projects, maintenance of streets, bridges and storm and sanitary sewers; residential trash, recycling and compost collection; and oversight and regulation of use of the public right-of-way including on-street parking. We employ a culture of safety throughout the department to strengthen workplace health and organizational performance.
For more information, please visit www.denvergov.org/DOTI
DOTI has various openings for Equipment Operator I positions. These positions would be a part of either our Street Maintenance or Wastewater Management divisions (not both).
Wastewater Management oversees all aspects of wastewater functions, including the construction, operation, and maintenance of the City's sanitary and storm systems. The agency implements city wastewater policies, establishes cost controls and fees used to support operational requirements and capital improvements projects, and responds to customer inquiries.
Street Maintenance Operations manages the City's 2,005 centerline miles of roadway and 5,507 alleys to ensure mobility, safety, and ADA compliance for residents and visitors. Street Maintenance is responsible for filling potholes, repaving streets, sweeping streets, and removing snow from public streets, sidewalks, and alleys. The agency also manages the City's asphalt plant, which provides asphalt for resurfacing and maintaining all Denver city streets and alleys.
Specific job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Operates light to medium sized industrial equipment while performing construction, maintenance, and other work in combination with assigned vehicle's operation or mode of function and ensures the safe and efficient operation of equipment and a variety of work related tools.
- Inspects vehicle for loose parts, damaged or worn tires, proper air pressure in tires, and other items affecting its safe operation and completes a pre/post trip inspection as defined by federal guidelines.
- Observes on-board instruments while operating equipment and takes routine corrective action if malfunctions are indicated.
- Performs manual labor in construction, maintenance, or other work-related duties when not driving equipment to or operating it at the work site.
- Assists in preventative maintenance of equipment by washing and servicing vehicles with water, oil, and fuel, performs basic maintenance, and makes minor running repairs.
- Keeps trip records and logs, reports defects in the vehicles operations, accidents, traffic violations, or damage to the vehicle.
- Responds to public inquiries in a courteous manner and provides information within the area of assignment.
- Participates in snow removal duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Previous experience operating or servicing machinery and/or equipment for a municipality
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC Certificate.
Two (2) years of general labor experience which must include six (6) months of experience operating light to medium sized equipment.
Additional appropriate experience may be substituted for the minimum education requirements.
This job requires driving. Requires a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL "B") with appropriate endorsements at the time of application.
Licenses and certifications must be kept current as a condition of employment.About Everything Else
CJ1904 Equipment Operator I
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here
Position Salary Range
$19.37 - $28.28
Based on education and experience
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.
For information about right to work, click here
for English or here