Tacoma Public Schools
Hourly Rate: $15.8572 per hour
This position, on a temporary basis, rides the special education school buses with students to assist disabled students on and off the bus, monitor student safety, maintain appropriate student behavior, and assist the bus driver in enforcing bus rules.
1. Assists disabled students with boarding and disembarking from the bus.
2. Models and encourages appropriate bus riding behavior for students; corrects inappropriate behavior; takes measures to stop harmful behavior (i.e., properly restraining student or sitting next to student.)
3. Informs administrator and/or teachers concerning physical or behavioral problems of students.
4. Ensures that all students are appropriately seat-belted at all times; operates safety equipment on board bus in case of emergency (i.e., fire extinguisher); provides first-aid care as needed.
5. Monitors all students while on the bus, as instructed; follows guidelines for individual students' medical needs/conditions; may need to provide first-aid, CPR, or other measures in a crisis, as instructed.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
1. Maintains positive relationships with students, parents, and administrators.
2. Performs related duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and training in physical restraint techniques; experience working with school-aged youth having serious behavioral disabilities; or any combination of experience and training which provides the applicant with the knowledge, skills, and ability required to perform the work.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Effective verbal communication skills.
Skill in properly restraining students as needed.
Ability to lift and position students, and to bend and squat to aid students.
Ability to relate effectively with children who are behaviorally, physically, or developmentally disabled.
Ability to remain calm in dealing with crisis or hostile situations.
Ability to exercise patience and good judgment.
Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of people in a multi-cultural, diverse socio-economic setting.
Required Licenses/Special Requirements Required to obtain CPR, first-aid certification and MANDT training.
Required to sit in bus for prolonged periods; exposed to high noise levels; required to deal with and/or restrain distraught and potentially violent students; required to lift and/or position students; required to bend or squat to provide first-aid and/or CPR; required to be punctual to work.
Job Locator Number: D4209
This job description is not an employment agreement or contract. Tacoma School District administration has the exclusive right to alter this job description at any time without notice. The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the primary functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Tacoma Public Schools does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator: Lisa Nolan, 253-571-1252, email@example.com; Title IX Coordinator: James Neil, 253-571-1123, firstname.lastname@example.org; and 504 Coordinator: Elementary, Steven Mondragon, email@example.com, 253-571-1173; Secondary, Jon Bell, firstname.lastname@example.org, 253-571-1225. Address: P.O. Box 1357, Tacoma, WA 98401-1357.
HRInfo@tacoma.k12.wa.us, (253) 571-1250