The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam with cut-offs every four months.
Next filing cut-offsare at 5:00 pm on:
02/27/18, 06/26/18, 10/23/18, 2/18/2019, 6/19/2019, 10/22/2019, 2/18/2020Salary Information:Level 1 - $3,029.34 - $3,681.83/month
Level 2 - $3,400.00 - $4,134.24/month
The Sheriff's Records Specialist class performs a range of specialized technical clerical support duties in relation to law enforcement including, but not limited to the following: criminal records, warrants, civil process, and inmate booking and processing. This class is used strictly in the Sheriff's Department. Positions in this class vary in actual duties performed depending on the needs of the specific division assigned.Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Office practices and procedures
- Law enforcement and court forms and reports
- The legal terminology for law enforcement, judicial work and the various clerical procedures required under specific regulations
- Clerical, law enforcement, and court record keeping procedures
- Basic understanding of the California statutes relating to civil and criminal record keeping procedures and codes; the California Public Information Act; Penal Code; Vehicle Code; Evidence Code; Code of Civil Procedures; Civil Code; and other regulations related to law enforcement and court clerical procedures
- Modern office equipment and technology
- English grammar, spelling, and usage
- Principles and practices of customer service
- Basic math and accounting to perform cashiering duties and other calculations
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Perform law enforcement and civil clerical work involving independent judgment and accuracy
- Elicit information from department personnel, outside agencies, persons in custody and the general public
- Understand legal terminology; comprehend, interpret, explain, and apply legal codes and procedures
- Exercise considerable judgment, tact and common sense in assisting law enforcement and Court personnel, outside agencies and the public in questions regarding law enforcement and civil records
- Work independently and effectively within established guidelines
- Follow oral and written instructions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships needed by work assignments
- Read, write and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Utilize time management and multi-tasking capabilities
- Work effectively under time deadlines
- Learn specialized computer functions / programs
- Use telephone equipment and radio/telephone
Type at a rate of not less than 25 net words per minute from clear copy (typing certificate must be submitted with application)
One year of experience as an Office Assistant (Level II) in Sacramento County service.Or:
Two years of general clerical experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice. Typing Certificate requirements can be found by clicking here or by obtaining the requirements from the Employment Services Division office.Special Requirements
Criminal History and Background Check: Candidates will need to pass a security clearance investigation conducted by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.
Hours of Work: Incumbents must be willing to work irregular hours (shifts), holidays, and weekends.
Working Conditions: Incumbents may be assigned to a detention / correctional facility (jail) in proximity of inmates, or a division that may have contact with inmates.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate or Credentials Screening Panel exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email.Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox.Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
- Call (916) 874-5627 and you will be provided with a recorded message, accessible 24 hours a day.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous