The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:1/7/2020, 4/10/2020, 7/8/2020, 10/9/2020
Under general supervision, Sanitation District Maintenance & Operations Technicians work independently or as a lead member of a small work crew or under the lead direction of a designated crew chief involved in the maintenance, repair, minor construction, and/or inspection of assigned underground pipelines and pump and lift stations for the wastewater collection system of the Sacramento Area Sewer District. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Journey level methods, tools, materials, and equipment used in the maintenance and construction of underground pipelines, lift stations, and electrical and temporary pumps
- Safety precautions and practices necessary in working with and around hand and power tools, heavy equipment, vehicles and electrical power
- Computer operation for Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) usage, e-mail communications, keyboarding, recordkeeping, and documentation
- Policies, procedures, and operational standards related to wastewater collection systems maintenance and operations
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Lead the work of others
- Understand and follow both verbal and written directions in an effective manner
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Operate a laptop computer and designated software utilized to record data, prepare reports, locate work sites/directions, etc
- Operate designated hand and power tools, equipment, and vehicles such as electric and mechanical pumps and generators, blowers, tapping machines, balling equipment, power and hand rodders, high pressure pipe cleaners, vactor machines, bucket machines, smoke testing equipment, portable pumps, paving breakers, electronic pipe locators, and gas detection equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Read and interpret electronic controls and operate wastewater collection system lift stations and pumps in a safe and effective manner
- Read and interpret maps, charts, plans, and computerized mapping systems in order to locate District mainlines and pipelines
- Communicate clearly, concisely and courteously with co-workers, other employees, customers, and the general public
- Perform basic mathematical calculations to include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in an accurate manner
- Perform assigned duties in a safe and effective manner for self and others
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
1a. Two (2) years of full-time work experience employed by the County of Sacramento in the class of Sanitation District Maintenance and Operations Assistant;- AND -
1b. The Grade 1 California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Certification.Or:
2a. Two (2) years of full-time work experience employed by the County of Sacramento in the class of Assistant Underground Construction and Maintenance Specialist or Assistant Mechanical Maintenance Technician with the Sanitation Districts Agency performing duties which have included the maintenance, construction, repair, cleaning, inspection, or operation of underground pipeline systems and/or pump/lift stations;- AND -
2b. The Grade 1 California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Certification.Or:
3a. Completion of 60 semester units or more (or 90 quarter units or more) at an accredited trade school, junior college, or university with a minimum of 30 semester units (or 45 quarter units) in mechanical-electrical technology, construction management, civil engineering, or other field closely related to the intent of the class;- AND -
3b. One year of work experience performing maintenance, construction, repair, cleaning, inspection, or operation duties of underground pipeline systems and/or pump/lift stations;- AND -
3c.The Grade 1 California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Certification.Or:
4a. Completion of two (2) years apprenticeship program as a plumber;- AND -
4b. One year of work experience performing maintenance, construction, repair, cleaning, inspection or operation duties of underground pipeline systems and/or pump/lift stations;- AND -
4c.The Grade 1 California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Certification.Or:
5a. Three (3) years of full-time work experience in the maintenance, construction, repair, cleaning, inspection, or operation of underground pipeline systems and/or pump/lift stations;- AND -
5b. The Grade 1 California Water Environment Association (CWEA) Collection System Maintenance Certification.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Minimum Age Requirement: Candidates must be eighteen (18) years of age prior to appointment because of the hazards of the job, as defined by the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Driver's License: A valid California Driver License, Class B or higher, is be required at the time of appointment. Incumbents appointed to this class must obtain a valid California driver's license, Class A that include special endorsements including but not limited to the Tank Vehicle Endorsement within one year of appointment to this class. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Certificates/licenses: Incumbents must obtain the Grade 2 CWEA for Collection System Maintenance Certification within two years of permanent appointment to this class or within two CWEA exam cycles after the date of appointment to this class, whichever is greater.
Failure to obtain and maintain the appropriate certificates as described above may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rules and/or applicable bargaining unit agreement.
Physical Abilities: Positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Perform heavy manual labor on a continuous basis.
- Climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, and reach by extending hands and arms in any direction.
- Stand and walk on a consistent and daily basis.
- Lift objects weighing an average of 25 pounds to a maximum of 100 pounds without assistance.
- Push and pull objects weighing an average of 75 pounds to a maximum of 100 pounds.
- Carry objects weighing an average of 25 pounds to a maximum of 50 pounds.
- Use both eyes to see clearly at distances both near and far, requiring depth perception.
- Wear respirators or breathing devices.
- Enter and exit restricted entrances of 24 inches in diameter.
- Climb and work on ladders while carrying equipment which may weigh up to 50 pounds, with a total weight that does not exceed the weight capacity of the ladder.
Individuals who do not meet these physical requirements due to disability will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Working Conditions: Positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- Work outside in all weather conditions on a daily basis and be subject to temperatures rarely under 32 degrees and occasionally over 100 degrees.
- Work in enclosed areas where the temperature may occasionally exceed 100 degrees or rarely reach lows below 20 degrees.
- Work in confined spaces in which a permit is not required.
- Work in trenches up to 23 feet, or more, in depth.
- Work around dust, fumes, smoke, gases, noise, contaminated and non-contaminated water, chemicals such as silica and solvents, machinery and equipment with moving parts, moving vehicles, traffic, fumes and/or odors.
- Potentially work in permit-required confined spaces.
Shift, Weekend and Holiday Work: Wastewater collection systems operation and maintenance work is performed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All employees in this class will be subject to working shifts, weekend, holidays, overtime and standby.
Background/Criminal History: The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous