The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: *9/14/2020,11/13/2020, 1/8/21Salary Information:
Registered Nurse D/CF Level I: $6,293.58 - $7,649.00 monthly
Registered Nurse D/CF Level II: $6,591.08 - $8,010.96 monthlyNote:For additional nursing opportunities please see Psychiatric Nurse , Medical Case ManagementNurse , Public Health Nurse Level I/II
In a detention/correctional facility, the Registered Nurse D/CF performs a variety of professional nursing duties including hands-on care, assessment, testing, and treatment of patients; interviewing patients and assisting them in follow-up care; maintaining medical and medication supplies; rendering emergency medical treatment; dispensing and administering medications; and maintaining charts and records.Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Professional registered nursing principles, procedures and techniques
- State of California laws and regulations on registered nursing
- Proper handling and administering of biologicals
- Standard medical record-keeping
- Interviewing techniques
- Common current medical terminology
- Use and care of medical equipment used in clinical and infirmary settings
- Basic medical indications of alcoholism and drug abuse and their overdoses
- Basic behavioral indications of mental disturbance
- Basic laboratory testing procedures
- Current standard asepsis protocols
- Basic symptoms and treatment of communicable diseases
- Common drugs and medications used for birth control, communicable diseases, immunizations, allergies, cardio-vascular conditions, and substance overdoses, including their contra-indications and normal and abnormal results
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Effectively communicate with and gain the cooperation of patients of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Accurately follow oral and written instructions, including standing orders, clinical protocols, orders for treatment, and dispensary orders
- Work cooperatively with other health care providers and other staff
- Learn and comply with laws, rules, regulations, protocols, and procedures, including security requirements, applicable to the work unit
- Clearly and accurately chart all patient information and physician's orders
- Gain cooperation of patients in treatment and follow-up care
- Maintain patient confidentiality
(Level II): Possession of a current valid Registered Nurse license issued by the State of California.Note:
Failure to maintain such license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.
(Level I): Possession of a current valid Interim Permit or Temporary License as a Registered Nurse, or a current valid license as a Registered Nurse, issued by the State of California.Note:
Interim Permittees and Temporary Licensees are expected to obtain full licensure within six months of appointment. Failure to obtain and/or maintain the required license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.Note:
1) The level at which initial appointments to the class of Registered Nurse are made and 2) advancement from the lower level of this class to the higher level (Level I to Level II), are at the discretion of the appointing authority, providing the minimum qualifications are met.Notes:
1. Experience requirements are stated as full-time work; to convert part-time to full-time equivalency: 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month.
2. Required experience may be paid or unpaid.Note:
The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the job announcement states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice. Typing Certificate requirements can be found by clicking here or by obtaining the requirements from the Employment Services Division office.Special Requirements:
- Persons appointed to this class may be required to regularly or periodically work evenings, nights, and weekends and holidays.
- Persons appointed to this class will be subject to a confidential criminal history check and fingerprinting.
- Persons appointed to this class will be required to have, or obtain, and maintain a valid CPR certificate.
- Persons appointed to this class may be required to have or obtain a valid hearing testing certificate, emergency first aid certificate, and/or other speciality training appropriate to Registered Nurses and necessary in their job assignment.
- Some positions in the class of Registered Nurse - Detention /Correctional Facility may require the ability to communicate fluently in a language other than English, in addition to English.
When required, the special skills may be used in the performance of typical tasks shown in the "Examples of Duties" in the class specification. In addition, incumbents translate and interpret using standard English and a language other than standard English; and/or act as a consultant to others regarding the needs and problems presented by individuals of different languages and cultural backgrounds.
The Sacramento County Civil Service Commission approved the use of selective certification for special skills for the class of Registered Nurse - Detention/Correctional Facility on May 12, 1989.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone 916-874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate or Credentials Screening Panel exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email.Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox.Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
- Call 916-874-5627 and you will be provided with a recorded message, accessible 24 hours a day.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous