The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:7/5/19, 10/4/19, 1/3/20, 4/3/20
Under close supervision, Probation Aides learn to apply the principles and techniques of probation work; supervise and counsel individuals detained in, committed to, or sheltered in one of several County juvenile institutions; supervise minors assigned to Work Project; and provide close supervision of minors placed on home supervision.
Probation Aides are typically hired as temporary replacements for regular Probation staff who are absent due to vacation, sick leave, military duty, leave without pay, or other reasons. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Principles and techniques applicable to the care and rehabilitation of juvenile delinquents
- The growth, development, needs and problems of minors
- Symptoms of behavior disorders
- Group dynamics
- Codes, standards and regulations governing are and treatment of juveniles in juvenile hall, camps, ranches or schools
- Principles of investigation and laws governing search, seizure and preservation of evidence
- Counseling techniques
- Basic housekeeping techniques
- Hygienic standards
- Motivational techniques
- Crisis intervention
- Appropriate use of force and security techniques
- Rights and liabilities of peace officers
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Secure the respect and confidence of adolescents
- Cope with hostility and aggressive behavior
- Work well as a member of a team
- Exercise good judgment and act calmly in emergency situations
- Recognize subtle changes in behavior
- Read, write, and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Prepare concise and clear reports
- Maintain records
- Communicate with individuals from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Meet all physical requirements of the position
Equivalent to an Associate of Art degree (60 semester units or 90 quarter units), from an accredited college or university.Note:
Up to one year of the required education may be substituted by experience in full-time, or equivalent part-time, paid law enforcement or correctional work in a probation agency, parole agency, or correctional institution on the basis of 173.6 hours = 21.7 days = 1 work month = 3 semester or 4.5 quarter units.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice. Typing Certificate requirements can be found by clicking here or by obtaining the requirements from the Employment Services Division office.Special Requirements
Compliance with government Code: In accordance with California Government Code, Section 1031, each employee shall meet the following minimum standards:
a. Be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship. Any permanent resident alien shall be disqualified from holding the position if his or her application for citizenship is denied.
b. Be at least 18 years of age.
c. Be fingerprinted for purposes of search of local, state, and national fingerprint files to disclose any criminal record. In addition, a classifiable set of fingerprints shall be furnished to the Department of Justice and to the Federal Bureau of Investigations.
d. Be found to be free from any physical, emotional, or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a peace officer.
Background/Criminal History: Appointees must pass a criminal history and background check. Pursuant to California Government Code, Section 1029, the conviction of a felony is grounds for disqualification from an appointment. Pursuant to Sacramento County Civil Service Rules, candidates found having been convicted of a felony will be disqualified.
Physical Requirements: Incumbents will frequently perform a wide variety of physical tasks such as standing, walking, running, stooping, bending, climbing stairs and lifting of individuals which requires strength, coordination, endurance, and agility. In addition, there may be occasional contact with hostile individuals, and incumbents may be subjected to physical and verbal abuse while restraining individuals.
Driver's License: Possession of a valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, is required at the time of appointment.
Note: Failure to maintain the appropriate valid California Driver License may constitute cause for dismissal from the class under applicable Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement.
Hours of Work: Incumbents in this class must be willing to work irregular hours, holidays and weekends.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593 ; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous