The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 5/27/20, 6/24/20, 7/29/20, 8/26/20, 9/30/20, 10/28/20, 11/25/20, 12/30/20Note:For additional nursing opportunities please see Registered Nurse DCF Level I/II , Psychiatric Nurse , Public Health Nurse Level I/II
Medical Case Management Nurses in Sacramento County perform a variety of responsible medical case management duties. Incumbents in this class assess, select, authorize, regulate, monitor, and control the provision of hospital and specialist medical care for patients who are medically indigent or inmates of County correctional facilities. In addition, Medical Case Management Nurses identify and secure payment sources for patients' medical care costs. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Professional nursing principles, procedures, and techniques used in the care and treatment of patients with a wide variety of conditions
- Normal course of illnesses and injuries, and their anticipated complications and therapeutic interventions
- Reference manuals such as the California Relative Value Studies, Physician's Current Procedural Terminology Handbook, Western Region Length of Stay by Diagnosis and Operation, and Intensification Criteria for Concurrent Utilization Review
- State of California laws and regulations on nursing practices
- General procedures and organization of hospitals and out-patient clinics
- Basic laws in California Penal Code and California Welfare and Institutions Code governing the medical management of prisoners' care
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications:Either:
- Assess, monitor, and authorize patient medical care and treatment by outside providers to ensure compliance with County guidelines and procedures
- Collect, organize, interpret, and effectively communicate data relevant to patient medical care and needs
- Analyze medical situations and make decisions under tight time constraints
- Learn, use and appropriately apply medical references manuals, insurance policies and regulations, and various governmental regulations pertaining to medical care and payment
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with patients, their families, hospital and clinic personnel, and insurance representatives
1. One year of experience in Sacramento County service in a class and performing duties that required licensure as a Registered Nurse.Or:
2. Two years of experience as a Registered Nurse (Licensed in California) providing out-patient and in-patient nursing care, and/or patient case management or medical review, in a hospital or clinical setting.Or:
3. Two years of experience as a Registered Nurse (licensed in California) in any nursing or nursing related setting, and a bachelor's or higher degree from an accredited college or university in nursing, public health, health services administration, public administration, or a related health or management field.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.EducationNote:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.Special Requirements:
All persons appointed to positions in the class of Medical Case Management Nurse must possess and maintain a current license as Registered Nurse issued by the State of California. Failure to maintain such license may be cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.PROBATIONARY PERIOD
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous