The PositionThis is a continuous filing exam with cut-offs on the first working day every three months.The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 PM on:8/3/2020, 11/2/2020, 1/4/2021
In a detention/correctional facility, performs a wide variety of vocational nursing duties, including hands-on care, testing, and treatment of patients; interviewing patients and assisting them in follow-up care; maintaining medical and medication supplies; assisting in emergency medical treatment; administering medications; and maintaining charts and records. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge Of
- Vocational nursing principles, procedures and techniques
- State of California laws and regulations on licensed vocational nursing
- Proper handling and administering of biologicals
- Standard medical record-keeping
- Interviewing techniques
- Common current medical terminology
- Use and care of medical equipment used in clinical and infirmary settings
- Basic medical indications of alcoholism and drug abuse and their overdoses
- Basic behavioral indications of mental disturbance
- Basic laboratory testing procedures
- Current standard asepsis protocols
- Basic symptoms and treatment of communicable diseases
- Common drugs and medications used for birth control, communicable diseases, immunizations, allergies
- Cardio-vascular conditions and substance overdoses, including their contra-indications and normal and abnormal results
- Universal Precautions
Employment QualificationsMinimum Qualifications
- Communicate with and gain the cooperation of patients of various social, cultural, economic and educational backgrounds
- Work cooperatively with other medical care providers and staff
- Comply with laws, rules, regulations, protocols, and procedures, including security requirements, applicable to the work unit
- Chart all patient information and physician's orders
- Gain cooperation of patients in treatment and follow-up care
- Maintain patient confidentiality
- Follow oral and written instructions, including standing orders, clinical protocols, orders for treatment and dispensary orders
- Take patients vital signs
Possession of a current valid Licensed Vocational Nurse license issued by the State of California.Note
: Failure to maintain such license may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Commission Rules.Other Requirements
When required the special skills may be used in the performance of typical tasks wherein incumbents translate and interpret using standard English and a language other than standard English; and/or act as a consultant to others regarding the needs and problems presented by individuals of different languages and cultural backgrounds.
Physical Requirements :
- Incumbents must possess and maintain sufficient strength, agility, and endurance to perform during physically, mentally, and emotionally stressful and emergency situations encountered on the job without endangering their own health and well being or that of their fellow employees, forensic clients, patients, inmates, or the public
- Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
- Constant holding, reaching, grasping, writing and need for repetitive motion
Criminal History Check : The County may access criminal history information on all applicants, consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable federal and state law. The County shall not consider for employment any applicant who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the applicant's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing such state and local summary criminal history information, an applicant will be fingerprinted through the California Department of Justice's LiveScan. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
Licensure, Certification and Registration : Persons appointed to this class are required to:
- Obtain, and maintain a valid CPR certificate
- Have or obtain a valid blood draw certificate, hearing testing certificate, emergency first aid certificate, and/or other specialty training appropriate to Licensed Vocational Nurses and necessary in their job assignment
Working Conditions : Required to work, regularly or periodically, evenings, weekends and holidays.Probationary Period:
The probationary period for this classification is six (6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
Closing Date/Time: Continuous