Definition If you enjoy working outdoors with an exceptional team of people and are interested in gaining experience in the general maintenance and repair field, we encourage you to apply!The City of Newport Beach is seeking two (2) part-time Maintenance Aides to join our Water Maintenance & Repair Division. A successful candidate will be highly motivated, a quick thinker, and flexible. Both vacancies will workapproximately 16 to 19 hours per week. Applications will be accepted on a continuous basis with the first review date of July 31, 2019. This posting will remain open until positions are filled.
Selection Components: Application Evaluation
- qualified applicantswill be invited to a written examination. Written Exam
- tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 15, 2019.Top scoring applicants who pass the examination will be invited to an Oral Interview. Oral Interview
-tentatively scheduled for Thursday, August 22, 2019. Passing applicants will be placed on an eligibilitylistthat may be used to fill future part-time vacancies as they occur.
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Clean up debris from parking lots, walkways, ditches, alleys, streets, beach areas and storm drains;
- Assist assembling picnic tables and distributing them in park areas;
- Assist utilities crews in the installation, repair and replacement of manholes, fire hydrants, valves, meters, meter vaults and boxes;
- Maintain, paint, exercise valves and flush fire hydrants;
- Pick up and transport refuse to the appropriate dumping site;
- Remove and apply paint to water and wastewater facilities and equipment;
- Perform general facilities maintenance;
- Regularly and predictably attend work; and
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Please see online job specification for a more detailed description of specific job duties.Maintenance Aide Job Specification
Experience & Education and License/Certificate
A combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Experience:
None required. General maintenance or construction experience is desirable. Education:
Completion of formal or informal education at a level that provides the ability to read and write at a level required by the job. License/Certificate:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver's license.Please Note:
Candidates deemed most qualified, as reflected in their application materials, will be invited to continue in the recruitment process. At that time, background information will be requested from the candidates. Prior to employment, the prospective candidate must successfully complete a thorough background review, including being fingerprinted by the Newport Beach Police Department. The resulting report of your conviction history, (if any), will be evaluated along with the other information received in connection with your application. Except as otherwise required by law, a criminal conviction will not necessarily disqualify you from the position. The nature, date, surrounding circumstances, and the relevance of the offense to the position applied for may, however, be considered.Disaster Service Worker:
In accordance with Government Code Section 3100, City of Newport Beach Employees, in the event of a disaster, are considered disaster service workers and may be asked to respond accordingly.