The County of San Mateo is looking for a Spanish/English bilingual individual to join the Office of Community Affairs, as an Outreach Coordinator Intern- III.
The Office of Community Affairs manages activities performed previously by the North Fair Oaks Outreach Team. The Outreach Team was formed in response to Supervisor Warren Slocum's request for a coordinated approach to informing and engaging the North Fair Oaks community in county sponsored projects and services that will affect their future.
The Outreach Team organizes community outreach and engagement efforts, and coordinates the outreach work for multiple County departments with projects within unincorporated areas of San Mateo County.
The County of San Mateo is home to over 772,000 residents, about 25% of whom are Hispanic or Latino. Considering the large number of Spanish speakers in the community, outreach is always conducted bilingually and includes many opportunities for in-person meetings and interactions. The Outreach Team has done a great job of community engagement and there are significant projects on the immediate horizon that will require creativity and hard work! It's an exciting and challenging time to be involved!
The next Outreach Coordinator will work with two other bilingual outreach coordinators at the direction of the Assistant County Manager and will report to the Community Affairs Manager. The Outreach Team members work with a diverse range of community members and community leaders, including educators, non-profit organizations, religious groups, business owners, and youth. Team members must be comfortable with people from all walks of life and must be able to comport themselves appropriately.
Examples Of Duties
Responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
If you are interested in work that has an impact and makes positive change, we would like to hear from you!
- Maintain strong relationships with community leaders, residents, and business owners to engage the overall community in various initiatives set by the County of San Mateo
- Collaborate with various County departments and act as a liaison between the unincorporated communities and public agencies to share information and collect public input
- Plan, coordinate, and staff a wide range of meetings and events, including during evenings and weekends
- Translate documents, presentations, and other content from English to Spanish and vice versa
- Update website, social media posts, mass emails, newsletters, and databases
- Provide assistance and staff support as needed
Qualifications Minimum requirements:
- Education: The successful completion of a Bachelor's degree, preferably in a related field (e.g. Political Science, Urban Planning, Chicano Studies, Spanish, etc.)
- Language Skills: Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish
- Experience: Any work or volunteer experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and skills
The Ideal candidate
Salary and Benefits:
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects, organize priorities, and manage a flexible schedule
- Experience working with a diversity of people (e.g. ethnic background, religion, nationality, education level, language, socio-economic status, etc.)
- Confidence in public speaking in both Spanish and English
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks with minimal supervision and work collaboratively as a team member
- Ability to offer creative solutions or new programs for consideration and the ability to think critically about issues and challenge old ideas
- Experience creating visual and written materials or presentations; Some experience in web design and graphic design is preferred
- Proficient computer skills; e.g. Microsoft Office
- This position is funded for 12-months and could be extended contingent on performance and program needs.
- Depending on experience, the salary range is $24.00 - $32.00 per hour. The position includes County benefits summarized at hr.smcgov.org/benefits.
- The position includes a portable 401A retirement plan and is not eligible for a defined benefit County pension.
Application/Examination Anyone may apply.This is a continuous recruitment which may close at any time. The final filing date will be posted 5 days in advance in the San Mateo County Human Resources Department.
Apply immediately. Because this is a continuous recruitment, a selection may be made at any time within the process.
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and those applicants demonstrating the matching skills sets will be invited to an interview.
Spanish/English bi-lingual skills and a bachelor's degree are preferred for this position.
To apply for this exciting job opportunity, please go to the County's online application system at http://jobs.smcgov.org. In addition to completing the County Employment Application Form, including the Supplemental Questionnaire, please attach the following documents in Word or PDF format:
- Cover Letter that describes your interest in the position
- Responses to Supplemental Questions:
- Are you fluent in Spanish? Yes No
- Are you fluent in Cantonese ? Yes No
- Are you fluent in Mandarin? Yes No
- Describe your education and work experience that has prepared you for the Outreach Coordinator position.
- Describe your experience developing, implementing, promoting, coordinating and evaluating and outreach/educational program, event or project (including any website development or upkeep) Be specific.
- Describe your experience establishing and maintaining collaborative relations with diverse community groups, non-profit organizations, community leaders or businesses. Be specific about the kinds of organizations you collaborated with and describe the purpose of your outreach. Be specific.
- Describe your experience in successfully promoting community/civic engagement opportunities with diverse communities. Be specific.
- Describe a time when your communication skills have helped you succeed in completing a project to achieve the goal. Please explain your role and obstacles you overcame. Be specific.
If you are currently on the County's website, you may click the "Apply Online"
button above or below. If you are not on the County's website, please go to http://jobs.smcgov.org to apply.Incomplete applications, i.e., applications without the three attachments, will not be considered.
For additional information regarding the application process, please call (650) 363-1938 or (650) 363-4385.Apply Immediately. A selection could be made at any time. At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Analyst: Chaten Berry (072518) (Outreach Coordinator - Intern/Fellow III - I054)
Keywords: Term, extra help, Spanish, bilingual, coordinator