SR. PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE - EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following date:
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 PM (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment will establish an open eligible list to fill current and future vacancies. This recruitment may also be used to fill similar and/or lower level positions throughout the County of Orange.HEALTH CARE AGENCY
TheCounty of Orange
,Health Care Agency
(HCA)is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five service areas - Administrative and Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory and Medical Services and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.REGULATORY & MEDICAL HEALTH SERVICES
The Regulatory & Medical Health Services
(R/MHS) Division is comprised of:
EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
- Medical Safety Net (MSN)
- Environmental Health Services (EHS)
- Employee Health Services
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) plans, coordinates and oversees pre-hospital and emergency medical care systems in response to individual needs and community crisis. EMS program's major strengths are mutual cooperation, patient advocacy, advanced medical technology, electronic documentation and evidence-based data.HEALTH EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
The Health Emergency Management (HEM) section is part of EMS and is responsible for planning the agency's overall preparedness and response to a potential disaster affecting the medical and health systems in Orange County. HEM is funded through a variety of federal grants. HEM's emergency preparedness functions consist of all-hazards planning including bioterrorism, pandemic influenza, natural disasters and other County health-related disasters.THE OPPORTUNITY
The Sr. Public Health Nurse position will work in the HEM section and is funded through the Hospital Preparedness Program (HPP) grant. The position will serve as the Healthcare Systems Clinical Advisor and provide primary oversight of the HPP and coordination of the Healthcare Coalition of Orange County (HCCOC). The position will report directly to the Assistant EMS Administrator and may supervise division personnel.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Preparing and submitting budget requests for the HPP, estimating future needs of the program and consulting with superiors on priorities and funding availability
- Functioning as a lead strategist for healthcare system preparedness plans
- Reviewing and providing input on clinical accuracy and relevance for coalition plans, exercises and activities
- Serving as a liaison between the coalition and medical practitioners
- Engaging hospitals, long term care, skilled nursing facilities, clinics, surgical centers, urgent cares, dialysis centers, hospice, home health and community stakeholders to plan for disasters
- Ensuring coalition mass casualty/surge plans provide for appropriate distribution of resources
- Ensuring subject matter experts are available and a process exists to support secondary transfer prioritization in specialty surge mass casualty situations
- Supporting HEM's ongoing planning efforts in multiple initiatives and trainings in order to develop and participate in exercises
- Respond to HCA Operations Center or other locations in times of emergency
The ideal candidate will have five (5) or more years of experience as a Registered Nurse (RN) with emergency nursing or public health nursing experience and a valid California Driver License.
The ideal candidate will also demonstrate knowledge and experience in the following competencies:Technical Knowledge | Experience
Relationship Building | Interpersonal Skills
- Knowledge of major components of an emergency medical services system
- Knowledge of quality improvement activities
- Knowledge of organization and operations of various government agencies involved in community health and medical health disaster preparedness
- Experience submitting grant applications and/or budget requests
- Experience developing plans, policies and procedures to accomplish program objectives
- Familiarity and experience evaluating and analyzing data
- Proficiency using common software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to interpret laws, rules and regulations governing health facilities
- Collaborates with other public and private agencies to meet needs as they relate to medical health disaster preparedness
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with clients, medical professionals, peers and managers to achieve service goals
- Collaborates with HR to handle staff performance issues
Communication | Oral and Written
- Provides clinical leadership to HCOCC coalition
- Plans, organizes, directs, coordinates and evaluates program activity
- Supervises staff, assigns and coordinates work and evaluates work performance
- Acts as an advocate and resource for clinical staff, encourages involvement and participation of staff in coalition activities
- Organizes meetings
- Speak effectively and present information to lay persons and medical specialists
- Communicate with and educate the public on emergency medical preparedness
- Write clear and concise reports
for the minimum qualifications for Sr. Public Health Nurse.PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONSPhysical Requirements
Body mobility to walk, climb stairs, reach, bend, and stoop; stamina to sit for a prolonged period of time (up to one hour); strength to lift and carry objects such as boxes of nursing supplies or audiovisual equipment, which may weigh up to 25 lb.; manual dexterity to grasp, manipulate/ operate small objects and precision instruments such as, but not limited to, giving injections and taking pulse and blood pressure readings; vision sufficient to read thermometers and calibrated measuring instruments, labels on medications etc. Will be required to operate a motor vehicle.Environmental Conditions
Will be required to work in an office; may work in settings where patients who have a communicable diseases may have been; may be assigned to evenings, weekends and/or holidays during activation of the EMS Department Operations Center/OC Operational Area Emergency Operations Center. Will be required to travel to work sites throughout the County.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the applicants who meet the minimum qualifications for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, those who meet the minimum qualifications will be referred to the next step of the recruitment.Application Screening
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those candidates that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Application Appraisal Panel| Application Rating
An Application Appraisal Panel (AAP) of job knowledge experts will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies and related experience described above. Only the most qualified applicants will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessments have been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATIONEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Applicants will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile atwww.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Raymond Mendozaat (714) 834-6755 or RaMendoza@ochca.com.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.