TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY EXAM NUMBER
Y5134K FIRST DAY OF FILING
12/19/2018AT 8:00 A.M. (PST)
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.DEFINITION:
This experiencedlevel class provides professional nursing careand servicesto patients in a variety of settings.
Essential Job Functions
- Effectively communicates and collaborates the patients, families, care givers, and/or co-workers pertinent information concerning discharge planning, changes in patient care, changes in treatment plan, patient medication administration, aftercare instructions, and follow-up appointments to deliver the best possiblepatientexperience.
- Completes and maintains accurate as well as legible medical documentation in a clear, concise, and timely manner.
- Manages relationships with internal and/or external members of a healthcare organization.
- Participates in performance improvement activities; with a focus on patient experience, regulatory compliance, and/or departmental process improvements projects.
- Delegates, assigns, and/or supervises the assigned work of others including Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs), nursing attendants, technician, clerical staff, and students.
- Participates in committees and projects at the unit, department, facility, and/or health system wide level.
- Seeks experiences that reflect current clinical practice to achieve and enhance professional/clinical competencies and professional practice.
- Serves as a liaison between committees, staff, and management.
- Participates in identifying and resolving ethical issues in the practice setting.
- Serves as a preceptor: expert or specialist who gives practical experience and training to new graduate, a new hire, a re-entry, or a nurse that is transitioning into a new area.
- Participates in product evaluation and product standardization activities.
- Participates in approved clinical investigations or research studies in accordance with departmental policies.
- Three years of full-time experience* at the level of Registered Nurse providing professional nursing care and services to patients in a variety of settings.
- A license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
LICENSE(S) AND CERTIFICATE(S) REQUIRED:
- Current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR & AED) Program.
- A current license to practice as a Registered Nurse issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
Applicants must ensure the License and Certification Section of the application is completed. Provide the title(s) of your required license(s), the number(s), date(s) of issue, date(s) of expiration and the name(s) of the issuing agency for the required license as specified in the Selection Requirements.
Applicants claiming experience in a state other than California must provide their Registered Nurse License Number from that state on the application at the time of filing. Out-of-State experience provided on the application without the required license number will not be considered.
The required license and certification MUST
be current/active and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license or certification willNOT
- A current certification issued by the American Heart Association's Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers (CPR &AED) Program.
attach a legible photocopy of the required BLScertification to their application atthe time of filing or within 15 calendardays of filing your application online.
Applications submitted without the required evidence ofBLScertification will be rejected.
- A valid California Class C Driver's License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
III -Moderate: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighing over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds. SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Full-time experience is defined as a minimum of 36 hours worked per week and must be post-licenseonly
. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
Credit will be given to applicants who possess the following desirable qualifications:
- Additional experience beyond the selection requirements as a Registered Nurse providing professional nursing care and services to patients in a variety of settings.
- Bachelor of Sciencedegree in Nursing (BSN) or Master of Science degree in Nursing (MSN)from an accredited institution.
In order to receive credit for a college degree on this examination, applicants MUST
attach a legible photocopy of your "official" diploma(s), "official" transcripts, or "official" letter(s) from an accredited institution which shows the area of specialization, atthe time of filing or within 15 calendardays of filing your application online.
Additional Information EXAMINATION CONTENT:
An evaluation of training and experience based upon application information and desirable qualifications weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on each weighted part of the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register. ELIGIBILITY INFORMATION:
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade will be placed on the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period oftwelve (12) monthsfrom the date of promulgation. Applications will be processed on an "as received" basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. No person may compete in this examination more than once everytwelve (12) months. AVAILABLE SHIFT:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. VACANCY INFORMATION:
The resulting eligible register for this examination will be used to fill vacancies in the Department of Health Services as they occur. APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:
Applications must be filed online only. Applications submitted by U.S. mail, Fax, or in person will not be accepted. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.
Apply online by clicking on the "APPLY" green button at the top right of this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time with or without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of you application depends on whether you have clearly
shown that you meet the REQUIREMENTS
. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. IMPORTANT NOTES:
- All information included in the application materials is subject to VERIFICATION at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after an appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
- Utilizing VERBIAGE from the Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT be sufficient to demonstrate that you meet the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
If you are unable to attachdocuments to your application, you must email the Exam Analyst, Oscar Ramirez at ORamirez@dhs.lacounty.gov within 15 calendar days of filing online
. Please include the exam number and the exam title. SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER LANGUAGE:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number. COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County. NO SHARING USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their applications online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. FAIR CHANCE INITIATIVE BULLETIN LANGUAGE:
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, you will not be asked to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment . The County will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, any convictions or court records which are exempted by a valid court order do not have to be disclosed
. ADA COORDINATOR:
(323) 914-7111TELETYPE PHONE:
(800) 899-4099CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Oscar Ramirez, Exam Analyst
Closing Date/Time: Continuous