CORRECTIONAL SERVICES TECHNICIAN This recruitment is open to the public, on a continuous basis, until the needs of the department have been met. Please be advised this recruitment may close at 11:59 p.m. any day of the week and it is recommended that interested candidates apply immediately. INCUMBENTS WILL BE PERIODICALLY ROTATED THROUGH ASSIGNMENTS, SHIFTS, INCLUDING NIGHTS, WEEKENDS, HOLIDAYS AND CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES.POSITION INFORMATION
This recruitment is being held to establish an Open Eligible List to fill vacant positions within the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner Department.SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
To be selected for a position with the Orange County Sheriff's Department applicants must not have been convicted of a felony or be on any form of probation and must pass an extensive background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner.
Background screening includes completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credentials Services (N.A.C.E.S.).GENERAL DUTIES
- Work in an adult jail facility (maximum, medium or minimum security) and/or Inmate Commissary.
- Perform and/or oversee inmates in maintenance and institutional activities, such as housekeeping, issuing jail clothing, operating laundry equipment, and painting.
- Keeping records.
- Receiving and returning inmate property.
- Preparing reports.
- Performing general maintenance.
- Communicate with the public over the phone.
- Stocking, issuing and ordering supplies for the warehouse.
Candidates who are successful in the recruitment process and are subsequently employed as a Correctional Services Technician will be required to successfully complete a five-week Correctional Officer Core Course including a physical agility test during the first year of employment.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Some experience and/or education and training, which would demonstrate possession or application of the knowledges and abilities listed below.
General Knowledge of:
- Methods and procedures of keeping a storeroom, including ordering, storing and issuing a variety of supplies.
- Maintaining records of items received and issued.
- Methods, materials and equipment used in cleaning floors, walls, fixtures, and general institutional cleaning and maintenance.
- Train and supervise adult inmates in supply, maintenance and other assignments.
- Read, understand and clearly instruct inmates and the general public on regulations and procedures, in English.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and harmonious relationships with jail staff and inmate workers.
- Maintain accurate store-keeping or other records, files and/or inventories.
- Summarize records in report format.
- Maintain adequate levels of supplies and lay out and maintain an efficient storeroom.
- Perform simple computations such as adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing whole numbers, decimals and fractions.
- Operate industrial size laundry equipment.
- Use a County-approved means of transportation for pickups, deliveries, and errands.
- Operate a computer, calculator other office machines (may be required for some assignments).
License Required: Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class B or C, by date of appointment.
to view the class spec/job description.PHYSICAL, MENTALAND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The County of Orange is committed to providing a means for applicants who may have a disability to identify areas in which they may request a reasonable accommodation. The following is a description of the physical and mental abilities, which are customarily required to perform the essential job functions of this position. Applicants are encouraged to contact the recruiter for any questions or to request an accommodation during the testing/selection process.
Independent body mobility to stand, stoop, bend, twist, kneel, squat, and crawl while inspecting work of inmates. Incumbent must have the ability to lift or carry up to 30 pounds, repetitive use of hands, arms or shoulders to keyboard orders/booking information, etc. Must be able to work with arms above shoulder level while sorting and filing. Speak and hear well enough to converse in person; communicate clearly and understandably over the phone and with large groups of people.
Incumbents working inside a jail facility or the Inmate Commissary will have contact with inmates that may become violent or abusive. Incumbent may have moderately difficult interaction and/or complex interpersonal contact with emotional and/or hostile public. Incumbents may be required to drive in inclement weather conditions.Human Resources | Minimum Qualifications
The Sheriff's Human Resources screens all applications to identify the most qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the Department. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.SELECTION PROCEDURES
Applications must emphasize all the areas in which the applicant has expertise and accomplishments in the specific competencies related to the position.Written Exam/Physical Agility Test:
Those who meet the minimum qualifications will be invited to the written exam/physical agility test via email. The written exam consists of job-related, multiple choice questions. Those who successfully pass the written exam will be given a pre-investigative interview and may be referred to the physical agility test.
The physical agility test will consist of the following:
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. ELIGIBLE LIST
- 50-Yard Sprint with in 20 seconds.
- Carry a 30 pound backpack for 75 feet in 30 seconds.
- Half-Mile Run in 5 minutes.
After all procedures have been completed, the Sheriff Human Resources will establish an eligible list of qualified candidates.HOW TO APPLY
Only on line applications will be accepted. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of on line applications. Applicant information must be current, succinct and related to the requirements in this job announcement. Please note that email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is on your application and only use one email account.Click here
for tips to complete your application.For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contactMary Cortez-Valadez at (714) 834-5834 or email at email@example.com .
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account. NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous