DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 02/23/2005
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER:Y5849DTYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityDEFINITION:
Manages physical therapy services in several treatment units or programs in an acute, rehabilitation, or psychiatric hospital or clinic; manages multiple aspects of the physical therapy program in an acute, rehabilitation, or psychiatric hospital or clinic; or manages physical and occupational therapy services in several therapy units.
Essential Job Functions
- Analyzes and evaluates physical therapy programs in the units managed to assess the quality of patient care and the need to improve ongoing programs or to incorporate new or revised therapy programs and techniques.
- Supervises subordinate therapists with a caseload of patients with varied diagnoses and complexity levels providing interventions, treatments, and services for acute medical, rehabilitative hospital, clinic, or California Children's Services programs.
- Performs physical therapy assessment, evaluation and treatment, both to provide patient care and to demonstrate or model proper techniques or methods.
- Directs subordinate supervisors and therapy staff in the development and implementation of new therapy programs and in the revision of existing programs.
- Serves as a technical consultant to the therapy staff regarding difficult or unusual physical therapy problems.
- Supervises implementation of educational programs and makes follow-up reviews to determine the results of training, the need and the extent to which training is utilized in therapy programs.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Graduation from a physical therapy curriculum acceptable to the Commission on Accreditation on Physical Therapy Education of the American Physical Therapy Association and approved by the Physical Therapy Board of California -OR
- Successful completion in a physical therapy school or schools of a resident course of professional instruction equivalent to the education standards approved by the Physical Therapy Board of California -AND
- Five years of experience in the practice of physical therapy, two years of which must have been at the level of, or comparable to Physical Therapy Supervisor I* or higher. A Master's degree from an accredited** college or university in physical therapy, public health, special education or a related field may be substituted for one year of non-supervisory experience -OR- A Master's degree from an accredited college or university in health services administration may be substituted for one year of supervisory experience.LICENSE:
A license to practice as a Physical Therapist issued by the Physical Therapy Board of California
-OR- Have filed an application for such a license. The license must be presented upon publication of the results of the next examination after the date of filing for the license.
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.Physical Class III - Moderate
: Includes standing or walking most of the time, with bending, stooping, squatting, twisting, and reaching; includes working on irregular surfaces, occasionally lifting objects weighting over 25 pounds, and frequent lifting of 10-25 pounds.Special Requirement Information
Experience at the level of a Physical Therapist Supervisor I in the County of Los Angeles is defined as: Provides first-level supervision to physical therapists, therapy assistants, and other support staff who are treating acute or rehabilitative patients with physical or mental disease or injury. Incumbents may also provide administrative supervision to staff in the physical and occupational therapy services in a California Children's Services Medical Therapy Unit.
In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, completion of a certificate program, certificate or license, you MUST
include a legible copy of the official diploma, official transcripts, official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; or official license or certificates with your applicationwithin 15 calendar days of filing. Applications submitted without the required degree or evidence of licensure and/or certification will be rejected as incomplete
.The required license and/or certificate MUST be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license and/or certificate will NOT be accepted.
Additional Information Examination Content
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education and experience based on application information weighted at 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Applications will be processed on an"as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.Special Information
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Vacancy Information
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Available Shift
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you met the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to 323-869-0942 or email the documents to the exam analyst, at time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online . Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA Coordinator Phone
(323) 914-7111California Relay Services Phone
Ani Shaboyan, Exam Analyst