Are you a dynamic leader, wanting to join an equally dynamic city? Do you lead with passion, are known for integrity, and want to be part of a city doing amazing things to make the city of Grand Prairie a better place to live, work and play? Look no further. You found us! The City of Grand Prairie is searching for an engaging, visionary, and politically astute Planning and Development Director to oversee the City's planning, zoning, development reviews, building regulations and master planning initiatives. Responsibilities include involvement in land use and development negotiations and also providing direction to divisions of Facility Services, Engineering, and Building Inspections who fall under its purview. Click here for the full brochure on this position.
Conveniently located between Dallas and Fort Worth, Grand Prairie, population 190,682, offers relaxation, family fun and friendly neighbors. The City continues to win awards each year, and ranks as the 7th safest city in Texas amongst cities with more than 100,000 residents, a best place to raise a family, best place to retire, happiest city, and best place to live the American Dream. Our park system has been named best in the Nation twice!
*The position is open until filled, but review will begin in late fall.* Essential Job Functions
The City is seeking a strong, innovative and progressive leader with a collaborative management style who will engage employees through teamwork and motivation. The ideal candidate must have experience and knowledge with all aspects of planning and development operations.
Our executive team is highly efficient, engaged in the industry, creative in solutions and striving to make our city world class. The traits we expect from our leaders are:
- Strategic Thinking
- Approachable and Friendly
- Visionary and Progressive
- Strong Communicator
The Planning and Development Director shall be committed to Raving Fans service to staff, City Council, and citizens using effective communication and interpersonal skills to gain respect and trust. The director shall effectively direct division managers through issues, challenges, tasks and projects, set and achieve goals and monitor performance. Being politically astute and able to effectively analyze issues, gather facts and make appropriate and timely decisions is critical to success in this role. Minimum Qualifications Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Construction Management or a related field. A Master's is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years in planning and development, public administration or construction management-type operations experience
- 3 years in a managerial or executive level position of leadership
- You must fully complete the online application, AND submit the required cover letter and resume to that application.
- The City of Grand Prairie offers a competitive starting salary, depending on qualifications and experience.
- A city-issued cell phone or allowance will be included, as well as a vehicle allowance.
- The city participates in the Texas Municipal Retirement System (TMRS) at a 7% employee deposit rate with a city match of 14% (2-1).
- A full range of leave and insurance benefit options are provided.
- A relocation package will be considered.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous