Director of Nursing
(Administrative Manager III)
Correctional Health Services
This position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.0% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 1.2% decrease
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Effective July 1, 2022 - 0.5% decrease
Salary may benegotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
and will remain open on a continuous basis for a minimum of five (5) business daysuntil the needs of the County are met. Candidates who are placed on the eligible list will remain on the eligible list for six (6) monthsand may be considered/referred for selection/hiring interviews. After six (6) months, candidatesmust reapply to receive further consideration.
This recruitment will establish an open
eligible list. This list will be used to fill current and future Administrative Manager III positions with this specialty. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. HEALTH CARE AGENCY
The County of Orange
, Health Care Agency (HCA)
is a dynamic organization dedicated to creating and supporting an environment that promotes the achievement of optimal individual, family and community health. Under the direction of the Agency Director, a new and dynamic executive team with an organizational structure comprised of five (5) service areas - Administrative & Financial, Behavioral Health, Correctional Health, Regulatory & Medical Services, and Public Health - is committed to meeting the health needs of the diverse Orange County community.CORRECTIONAL HEALTH SERVICES Adult CorrectionalHealth Services
provides medical, dental, nursing, health education and pharmaceutical services to all adult inmates in the County's five correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.THE OPPORTUNITY
Reporting to the Chief of Operations for Correctional Health Services (CHS), the Director of Nursing is responsible for supporting the vision and strategic plan for the nursing division within CHS. This position will work closely with the CHS Medical Director, Mental Health Program Manager and other CHS department managers to ensure cohesive collaboration for integrated healthcare delivery to inmates/detainees. In addition, the incumbent will be doing the following:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
- Oversee routine and emergency nursing services provided to patients on a 24 hour basis and ensure services are rendered according to established nursing protocols, agency policies, procedures and guidelines, the HCA Code of Conduct and adequate shift coverage
- Responsible for ensuring nursing compliance with local, state, federal and court mandated requirements
- Supervision and oversightof the CHS centralized nurse scheduler, case management team and their activities (hospital case management, discharge planning, ADA issues, etc.) and Staff Development team (oversight of the education program, new employee orientation, ongoing training, etc.)
- Participation and collaboration in creation and revision of the CHS policies and procedures
- Oversight of risk management issues concerning the patients, department staff and nursing practices
- Ensuring regulatory compliance (Title 15, Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE), etc.) with the various third party entities applicable to correctional institutions
- Fiscal awareness and collaboration in budgetary decisions (staffing and productivity, supply expenditures, etc.)
- Ensuring that nursing staff work within scope of practice as established by the California Boards of Registered Nursing and Licensed Vocational Nursing
- Work collaboratively with Human Resource Services for training, performance evaluations, addressing performance issues, hiring, and retention of nursing staff
- Ensuring safe working environment in nursing areas, including comprehensive knowledge and compliance with CalOSHA requirements
- Collaborating with health care staff and Sheriff's Department administration to promote quality healthcare delivery to inmates
- Working collaboratively with HCA Epidemiology, Public Health, andBehavioralHealth Services to implement county goals
- Oversight of the Quality Management program related to nursing operations
The ideal candidate will have extensive knowledge and experience ofclinical operations, correctional health services and/or inpatient/outpatient services as a registered nurse, as well as progressive increasing level of responsibility as a Nursing Supervisor/Manager or Administrator. Additionally, the ideal candidate will have acommitment to patient care, problem solving skills and the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with others. A Master's Degree in Nursing, Public Health, Public Administration or in a related field is preferred.
Interpersonal Skills | Collaboration| Effective Communication Skills
- Technical Knowledge| Clinical Operations
- Establishing and implementing organizational policies and procedures, fiscal management and controls, and personnel administration
- Interpreting and applying laws, regulations, and rules pertaining to nursing CHS operations
- Applying Title 15 Minimum Standards for Local Adult Facilities, California Code of Regulations(CCR),ICE, Department of Justice (DOJ), Orange County Grand Jury, Board of State and Community Corrections, and other local, State and Federal standards as it relates to a nursing correctional setting
- Understanding Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) guidelines and legal liabilities
- Performing nursing functions
- Understanding and utilizing Microsoft Suite and/or comparable programs as well as Electronic Health records (EHR)
Leadership | Managerial Skills
- Developing and delivering effective written and verbal communication with various audiences, i.e. Board of Supervisors, executive management, and other public entities
- Fostering a collaborative approach across all service areasas well ascontract agencies,Orange County Sheriff's Department (OCSD), DOJ and other stakeholdersto support compliance and quality improvement efforts
- Providing information necessary for decision making and engaging all levels of participants in contributing to the process
Strategic Thinking | Analytical
- Supervising various levels of clinical staff as well as partnering with Human Resource Services onrecruiting, employee relations and other personnel issues
- Training, directing, and evaluating subordinate staff and maintaining team objectives and standards
- Identifying and resolvingany issues and problems through good judgment and decision making utilizing technical expertise
- Analyzing problems and proposing solutions while dealing with changing priorities
- A Registered Nursing license issued by the State of California Board Registered Nursing is required
- IncumbentsmustNOThave felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- The Correctional facilities is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays.
to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Administrative Manager III classification as well as the physical & mental requirements and the environmental conditions.RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Structured Oral Interview | SOI (Weighted 100%)
Applicants will be interviewed and rated by an oral interview panel of job knowledge experts. Each applicant's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the applicant's qualifications for the job.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION Email NotificationEmail
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.Frequently Asked Questions
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contactLynda Hurtado
at (714) 834-3723 or email@example.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.