COMPREHENSIVE CARE NURSE I
Correctional Health Services
This recruitment is open to the public
and will be open for a minimum of five (5) business days, and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Comprehensive Care Nurse I positions within Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services until the next recruitment. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE OPPORTUNITY:
TheCounty of Orange,Health Care Agency
is recruiting for entry level Registered Nurses to provide basic health care to the incarcerated population within Correctional Health Services (CHS)
and who are committed to continuous learning and career development.Adult Correctional Health Services (ACHS)
The ACHS program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.
The Comprehensive Care Nurse I is responsible for performing a variety of specialized duties:
- Obtain vital signs such as: temperature, blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and pain scale assessment
- Perform comprehensive and focused physical assessments, interpret data collected, and refer to higher level of care as necessary, including:
- Obtaining comprehensive medical, mental health, family and social history
- Interpreting vital signs results
- Wound care treatment and management
- Documenting in SOAP (Subjective-Objective-Assessment-Plan) format on electronic health record
- Treating clients based on nursing standardized procedures
Review of health records, summarize and synthesize patient information and give a comprehensive hand off at shift change or outside facility transfers utilizing a discharge-summary form or verbal report Participate in staff development and educational programs to maintain professional competency Participate in 5150 training; must pass and maintain certification (training will be provided) May perform other job related duties as needed
The Comprehensive Care Nurse I is expected to become oriented to the Comprehensive Care Nursing duties and assume increasing levels of responsibility. Incumbents who are not promoted by the end of their probationary period shall not pass probation. The ACHS facility is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays. Nursing staff work six (6), twelve (12) hour shifts, and one eight (8) hour shift per two (2) week pay period. Days off are every other weekend and rotating week days. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will possess the knowledge, skills and abilities that demonstrates the following competencies:Nursing Training | Knowledge of:
Adaptability | Collaboration:
- Chronic illnesses that are medical and mental health related such as: substance abuse disorders, etc.
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines
- Performing triage and assessment competently
- Performing emergency, medical, mental health, prenatal care and other specialized care
- Willing and having the ability to testify competently if subpoenaed by court
- Using technology and other healthcare related systems effectively
- Working effectively in a changing and stressful environment, and making adjustments as necessary
- Working collaboratively and communicating professionally at all times
Critical Thinking | Safety:
- Developing resiliency by maintaining energy, tenacity, and continuously providing compassionate care in fulfilling correctional nursing responsibilities
- Managing multiple clients needing triage effectively and efficiently
- Making sound clinical treatment decisions
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside the jail facility
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to medical and mental health clients
- Reducing jail-related liability risks by being compliant with Federal and State laws and mandated standards
- Incumbents are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to a formal offer and acceptance of employment
- Applicants must not have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.)
- The Correctional facilities is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays
For detailed information onComprehensive Care Nurse I
minimum qualifications, including Physical and Mental Requirements, Environmental and Working conditionsclick here. RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening
(Refer/Non-Refer): Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applications exhibiting qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessment |Written Exam
(Weighted 100%): Candidates who meet minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments. Candidates will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualified candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, please contact Raymond Mendoza at (714) 834-7252 or Raymond.Mendoza@ocgov.com
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous