Comprehensive Care Licensed Vocational Nurse
Correctional Health Services (CHS)
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 1.2% decrease
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public
and will remain open on a continuous basis for a minimum of five (5) business days, until the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish anOpen
eligible list to fill current and future vacancies within the Health Care Agency. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange. THE OPPORTUNITY:
The County of Orange
, Health Care Agency
is recruiting for Comprehensive Care Licensed Vocational Nurses to provide basic health care to theincarcerated population withinCorrectional Health Services(CHS). Adult Correctional Health Services (ACHS)
The ACHS program provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to all adult inmates in the County's five correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.
The Comprehensive Care Licensed Vocational Nurse responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Use of electronic health records (EHR) to accurately enter and document patient data, administer medications including insulin
- Prepare and collect lab specimens, including blood, urine, saliva, stool and nasal/pharyngeal samples
- Perform EKG (electrocardiogram), visual acuity, vital signs, PPD (tuberculosis test) placement, blood glucose testing, basic wound care, ambulatory clinic procedures and screening exams
- Perform skills of emergency first responder
- Recognize normal vs. abnormal findings and report such findings to on duty registered nurses
- Conduct and maintain inventory adequate stock of medication and supplies for assigned work area
- Maintain assigned work area on a daily basis and ensure that work areas are inspection ready at all times
- Assistonsite and telemedicine/telepsychiatry providers
- Participate in conferences, committee meetings, staff development and education programs to increase or maintain professional competency
- May perform other job related duties as needed
Nursing staff work six (6), twelve (12) hour shifts, and one eight (8) hour shift per two (2) week pay period. Days off are every other weekend and rotating week days. DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
The ideal candidate will have experience in acute care, correctional setting and/or other similar institutional type of setting and will demonstrate the following competencies:Clinical Expertise:
- Caring for clients with medical and mental health diagnosis
- Working in acute urgent care or ambulatory clinic type of setting
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines
- Proper dosageand common side effects of a large number of medications given for medical and mental health diagnosis
- Gathering clinical nursing data accurately (e.g. vital signs, health history)
- Following sterile instrument processing protocol
- Recognizing emergent health needs/abnormal findingsand referring to registered nurse or clinician
- Using Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other healthcare related systems (Electronic Health Records)
Adaptability |Critical Thinking | Safety
- Explaining effectively the treatments or procedures to inmates
- Evaluating the effectiveness of client's prescribed medication(s) in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team
- Collaborating with coworkers as part of the team
- Working effectively and maintaining a positive attitude in a changing and stressful environment, and ability to make adjustments as necessary
- Developing resiliency by maintaining energy, tenacity, and compassionate care to fulfill correctional nursing responsibilities
- Reducing liability risks by being in compliance with Federal and State laws and mandated standards in accordance with Title 15, Title 22, and National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) Standards
- Being alert and aware of personal safety, environmental hazards andsecurity while providing care and/or treatment to unstable or unpredictable inmates
- Incumbentsmust NOT have felony convictions or be on any form of probation
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes; completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- Correctional Health Services are a 24 hour, 7 day a week facilities, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays.
For detailed information on Comprehensive Care Licensed Vocational Nurse
minimum qualifications, including Physical and Mental Requirements, Environmental and Working Conditions, click here. RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services (HRS) screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening| (Refer/Non-Refer):
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the minimum and desirable qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Online Assessment (Unproctored)
|Multiple-Choice (Weighted 100%):
Applicants who meet desirable qualifications will be invited to participate in one or more job-related assessments.Applicants will be notified of their test date and access code, if applicable. Only the most qualifiedapplicants will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
Forspecificinformationpertainingtothisrecruitment, contactLynda Hurtado
at (714) 834-3723or firstname.lastname@example.org.
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.