CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGIST II
Correctional Health Services
In addition to performance-based merit increases, this position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 2, 2021 - 2.5% increase
Effective July 1, 2022 - 3.5% increase
Mandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 3, 2020 - 1.2% decrease
Effective July 2, 2021 - 1.2% decrease
Salary may be negotiablewithin the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days, and will remain open on a continuous basis until 11:59 p.m. (PST) on the day the County's needs are met.
The eligible list established through this recruitment will be used to fill current and future Clinical Psychologist II positions within Health Care Agency, Correctional Health Services until the next recruitment. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications.THE OPPORTUNITY:
The County of Orange, Health Care Agency
is seeking a licensed Clinical Psychologist to provide comprehensive diagnostic clinical mental health evaluations and participate in a psychotherapeutic program for the severely and persistently mentally ill clients within the Orange County Jail system.
The Correctional Health Services (CHS) provides medical, dental, nursing, infection control, health education and pharmaceutical services at a community standard of care to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities and contracts with hospitals for inpatient and specialty care.
The CHS also provides mental health services including 24-hour emergency triage and crisis intervention, suicide prevention, treatment beds, individual and group therapy, substance abuse counseling, medication assessment and discharge planning to all adult inmates in the County's five (5) correctional facilities.
For detailed information on Correctional Health Services click here.
Responsibilities of the Clinical Psychologist II position will include but are not limited to:
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND CORE COMPETENCIES:
- Assess clients for current level of functioning and psychiatric history
- Provide psychotherapeutic interventions for individuals and groups with a wide range of psychological and substance abuse disorders
- Select, administer, score and interpret a wide variety of objective and projective tests (i.e. intelligence, personality, cognitive, aptitude and behavioral)
- Conduct psychological research and analyze statistical data in relation to ACHS program outcomes
- Participate actively in mental health quality management team to assist ACHS in program evaluation; streamlining processes and outcomes for increased effectiveness and efficiency
- Participate and provide mental health training seminars/presentation and in services didactic learning and training
- Assist in complex case analysis and provide guidance to other clinical staff regarding appropriate psychological evidence-based practices
- Provide clinical supervision to Clinical Psychologist I, Doctorate Practicum Students and Interns from contracted agencies with HCA Volunteer Services
The ideal candidate will possess a doctorate degree in clinical psychology, forensic psychology or counseling psychology and demonstrates four (4) or more years of post-licensure experience. In addition, the ideal candidate will demonstrate knowledge and experience in the following competencies below:Technical Expertise and Knowledge of:
Analysis, Critical Thinking and Initiative:
- Title 15 Minimum Standards for Local Adult Facilities (California Code of Regulations - CCR), Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Board of State and Community Corrections, and other local, State and Federal standards as it relates to correctional setting
- Lanterman-Petris-Short (LPS) Act laws and the application of its associated mandates
- Possession of a valid CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation) - AHA healthcare provider card is highly desirable
- Jail security policies and willingness to seek consultation with supervisor if uncertain
- HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) guidelines
- Conducting psychological testing and assessments for the purpose of diagnosis, treatment and prognoses of mentally ill clients
- Gathering, evaluating and interpreting psychological and statistical data
- Administering discharge planning and providing case management for the mentally ill and substance abusing clients
- Having expertise in mental health and substance use diagnoses, symptoms and behaviors
- Applying current evidence-based practices to treat mentally ill clients and to reduce relapse and recidivism
- Administering latest trends and evidence-based psychological treatment and assessment protocols
- Conducting psychological interventions that promote health and wellness to clients served
- Some knowledge or exposure to the use of Electronic Health Records (EHR) system
- Using Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook proficiently
Communication and Collaboration:
- Working independently in a regulatory capacity and maintaining a high level of confidentiality
- Analyzing factors that contribute to overall health problems and/or recidivism (i.e. poor medication compliance, drug and alcohol problems, homelessness)
- Making appropriate and effective decisions impacting clients healthcare
- Responding efficiently to mental health emergencies throughout all jail
- Demonstrating a calm demeanor and providing care to client in relation to their level of psychological functioning (i.e. acute psychiatric housing)
- Evaluating and assessing situations and establishing appropriate clinical boundaries with clients (i.e. setting limits)
- Assessing and evaluating client's presenting symptoms and behaviors rapidly and accurately
- Recognizing factors that are outside of mental health that could be impacting the clients overall functioning and refer appropriately (i.e. drug or alcohol withdrawal, medical issues)
- Making sound decisions/judgment or taking effective actions to prevent any injury/loss of life, financial loss for the County and/or personally and any public relations issues
Interpersonal, Flexibility, and Safety:
- Bilingual in Spanish (highly desirable)
- Demonstrating effective communication both orally and in writing
- Using effective interviewing skills and techniques with clients
- Communicating clearly and thoroughly in discussing clinical cases and/or decisions to other healthcare staff and to other county agencies and/or stakeholders to better facilitate continuity of care and linking client to the appropriate level of care
- Engaging clients in discharge planning and developing a viable plan of self-care according to client's level of psychological functioning
- Working effectively with law enforcement personnel within the facility, police agencies from the community, clients families, court personnel, community hospital staff, other County agencies such as Probation, Public Health Services, and hospitals
- Maintaining a positive attitude and effectively handling stress
- Being flexible and reliable to perform daily responsibilities and urgent needs of the CHS Department on a 24/7 basis
- Being alert and aware of personal safety and security while providing care and/or treatment to unstable or unpredictable mentally ill clients
- Being aware of any environmental hazards while working inside and outside the jail facility
- Providing compassionate care without judgment to a segment of clients that have been charged with criminal conduct
- Incumbents are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation prior to a formal offer and acceptance of employment. Incumbents must maintain Sheriff's Department or Probation Department security clearance for the facilities where they work.
- Applicants must have no felony convictions or be on any form of probation.
- Must be able to pass and maintain background investigation to the satisfaction of the Orange County Sheriff-Coroner. Background screening includes: completing of a Personal History Form, interview with a background investigator, fingerprinting and may include a polygraph test. Some of the areas considered in the background screening include prior convictions, traffic violations, drug use and credit problems, employment history, professional references and education verification (i.e. degree, license, or official transcripts. Foreign degrees require an evaluation of U.S. equivalency by an agency that is a member of the National Association of Credential Services (N.A.C.E.S.).
- The Correctional facilities is a 24 hour, 7 day a week facility, incumbents must be able to work on weekends, evenings or night shift and holidays.
For detailed information on Clinical Psychologist II
minimum qualifications, click here. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Environmental Conditions:
Will be required to work in a locked facility with adult inmates and/or ICE detainees, and/or youth who are in protective custody/incarcerated youth, who have multiple and complex health, social and psycho-social needs; may work with inmates, ICE detainees, or youth who have communicable diseases and/or behavioral health issues; may be assigned to evening or night shift, assigned to work every other weekend, and to work holidays as needed as the institutions are a 24 hour, 7 day a week facilities and coverage is essential. The environment can also be noisy and at times chaotic, will be exposed to profanity and/or anti-social behavior. There is a no hostage policy for the Orange County Jail.RECRUITMENT PROCESS:
Human Resource Services screens all applications to identify the qualified candidates for the position based on the skills required to meet the needs of the County. After the initial screening, the qualified candidates will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the competition.Application Screening
(Refer/Non-Refer): Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applications exhibiting qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.Application Appraisal Panel | Application Rating
(Weighted 100%): An Application Appraisal Panel (AAP) of job knowledge experts will thoroughly screen and evaluate all application materials for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified. All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure. Eligible List:
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION EMAIL NOTIFICATION: Email
is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com
.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contactLyndaHurtado
at (714) 834-3723 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on
EEO INFORMATION Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer,
encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous