Summary Who May Apply:
This position is open toall qualified candidates. First consideration will be given to employees in the Wastewater Treatment Division's Teamsters Local 117 Professional and Technical and Administrative Support Unit (Staff) and Supervisory Bargaining Units.First round of interviews will be scheduledweek of October 7th for candidates that apply by 11:59 p.m. on September 30. $2.00 per hour from the base wage will be diverted to the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Trust Fund. Overview of the Wastewater Treatment Division
King County's Wastewater Treatment Division (WTD) is one of four divisions within the King County Department of Natural Resources and Parks. WTD is committed to protecting and improving water quality by providing wastewater collection and treatment for local sewer agencies which we've been doing for over 50 years. We serve about 1.7 million people within a 424-square-mile service area, including most of King County and parts of south Snohomish County and northeast Pierce County.
WTD's regional system includes three large wastewater treatment plants (West Point in Seattle, South Plant in Renton, and Brightwater in Woodinville), two smaller wastewater treatment plants (Vashon Island and City of Carnation), a community septic system, combined sewer overflow treatment facilities, regulator stations, pump stations, and over 391 miles of sewer pipelines.
WTD employees plan, design, build, and operate treatment facilities. They also enforce regulations to reduce harmful waste from entering the system, and educate the public and businesses on ways to protect water quality.
To WTD, success means clean water. It means honoring our legacy while keeping a promise to another generation that our beautiful environment will be there for them to enjoy. It also means being accountable to ratepayers and operating a well-managed agency.VALUES:
Safety : We protect ourselves and others before all other priorities. Safety is a virtue to be instilled in each of us.
Innovation : We foster a creative environment where employees openly and enthusiastically search for new ways to improve our work.
Spirit of Service : We reliably and equitably deliver exceptional products and services to our customers and communities all day, every day.
Empowered Teams : We respect, trust, collaborate and communicate - openly embracing problems and conflict as opportunities to create solutions.
Communications : We listen to and share with each other timely, accurate and clear information to ensure effective performance of our work.
Cultivate Mastery : We provide opportunities to encourage each other to reach our highest level of performance within an inclusive, positive, fun work environment.
Financial Accountability : We are responsible stewards of public dollars.
To learn more about the Wastewater Treatment Division, click on the links below:https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/dnrp/wtd/about.aspxhttps://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/dnrp/wtd/about/vision.aspxPosition Description:
The Wastewater Treatment Division (WTD) Finance and Administration Section is seeking a Rates, Capital and Debt Supervisor to provide leadership by managing the development, monitoring and maintenance of the WTD Financial Plan in compliance with the policies, practices and covenants relevant to the financing of the Utility's operations, capital program and debt portfolio. WTD's 2019/2020 adopted operating budget is $336 million and our adopted 6-year capital improvement program is $1.76 billion. As a key advisor and subject matter expert, the successful candidate will lead financial oversight, rate setting, short- and long-range financial planning, capital financing and funding strategies and financial policy development and economic analysis activities for WTD.
The successful candidate will also be able to function from multiple perspectives ranging from high-level, long-term, strategic and conceptual planning to detailed emergency-driven project-level analysis. Careful and documented data and analysis management practices are required at every level.
This position will report to the Finance and Administration Section Manager. The position will supervise five finance professionals. Key stakeholders will include: Division and Department Management; Office of Performance, Strategy and Budget; Project Planning and Delivery Section; King County Council; and the Component Agencies/Metropolitan Water Pollution Abatement Advisory Committee.Examples of Duties include:
Successful candidates will also have the following core competencies:
- Manage and maintain the WTD Financial Plan by coordinating and managing updates, forecasts, and policies. Define, document and explain scenarios and the analysis of the impacts.
- Oversee and manage the annual WTD rate development process for WTD ensuring the appropriate balance among revenues costs and policies.
- Oversee and manage the capacity charge development process ensuring adherence to the appropriate policies while continually investigating improvements to the calculation and modeling.
- Oversee the performance of financial and program monitoring for a large, high-profile capital program; ensure compliance with bond requirements, legislative intent and budget appropriations.
- Consult, direct and/or perform financial and economic analysis related to major capital projects, costs/benefits, quantitative decision making, forecasting and policy analysis.
- Develop and make presentations to elected officials, directors, managers and financial officials and external audiences on a variety of technical and policy related topics.
- Manage consultants in the efficient analysis and development of technical and policy-related investigations, updates and research.
- Develop and coordinate financial reviews, documentation and strategies with bond counsel, Finance & Business Operations Division, WTD, Department of Natural Resources and Parks, the Executive's Office, Prosecuting Attorney's Office and the Office of Performance, Strategy and Budget.
- Actively participate in the management of the WTD capital program through the portfolio management framework and governance boards.
Our ideal Candidate will have:
- Ability to make decisions based on analysis, experience and common sense.
- Ability to communicate technical topics to non-technical audiences
- Keen awareness of political overtones in a governmental setting.
- Ability to handle difficult situations with tact.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, management, internal customers, and external stakeholders with tact.
- Ability to proactively identify and seek viable options to address challenges and provide them to management.
- Ability to implement management decisions.
- Ability to prioritize and delegate tasks effectively, orchestrate multiple activities at once and use available resources effectively and efficiently.
- Ability to determine when to delegate tasks to staff, as opposed to when to take them on directly.
- Ability to meet hard deadlines and respond to customers' questions and requests in a prompt manner.
- Ability to coach, mentor, and develop direct reports; foster team-oriented work environment.
- Minimumof three (3) years of experience in developing, analyzing and monitoring rates by applying skills in advanced analytic and quantitative analysis, assessing the financial impacts of alternative scenarios, policies and decisions.
- Master's degree in Finance, Economics, Business Administration or related field.
- A minimum of three (3) years of experience in a supervisory or lead role, or a combinationof education andrecent demonstrated experience which provides the essential skills necessary to effectively perform the essential job duties as described listed above.
- Superb attention to detail with demonstrated analytical, problem solving and research skills.
- Experience working collaboratively with staff from multiple disciplines and from various levels of the organization and coordinating their work.
- Proven leadership, organizational and supervisory skills.Advanced skill in developing and using economic and financial modeling techniques
SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION:Necessary Special Requirements:
- Advanced skill in analytic, statistical and quantitative analysis and techniques
- Experienced in developing, implementing and continuously improving tools and processes.
- Demonstrated skills in maintaining and appropriately handling confidential information.
- Proficiencywith the Microsoft Office suite with expert knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of automated financial, budgetary and/or accounting systems and demonstrated ability to prepare and monitor budgets for an organization.
- Ability to develop and effectively communicate ideas and recommendations, including briefs to senior management and customer focus groups on key policy issues.
Must have the ability to travel to various offsite locations.Application Process:Selection Process:
Applicants meeting qualifications will be screened based upon the clarity, completeness, content, grammar and punctuation of their application materials. Selection process may include written and/or computer exams, panel interview, reference checks and a final interview.Union Membership:
This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117 - Wastewater Treatment Division, Supervisor's bargaining unit.For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Senior Human Resource Analyst
Closing Date/Time: Continuous