The Position***The recruitment Deadline has been extended to 10/14/17.***
The City of Portland, through the office of Commissioner Fritz, is seeking a Deputy Director of Open and Accountable Elections (Coordinator I-NE) to provide programmatic implementation and auditing for the Open and Accountable Elections program. The program is a public campaign finance matching system and was established by City Council in December of 2016.
The program seeks to bring balance back to the financial aspects of candidate campaigns by
providing qualified candidates matching funds for each small donation collected during campaign fundraising.
This position will assist the director in developing, implementing, and administering the Open and Accountable Elections program, especially with public outreach, community engagement, and ensuring program integrity through internal audits.
Applicants should be capable of carrying out several of the below responsibilities and have
several of the desired skills and areas of knowledge. It is not required that they can carry out all functions or have all of the listed skills and areas of knowledge. Responsibilities
Conducting comparative law, rule, and practice research on campaign finance and other
public financing systems; Assist the director in several of the following functions:
- determining processes for the program to use to carry out its functions;
- identifying technology needs for the program;
- community education;
- candidate and campaign staff training;
- preparing and assisting the Public Campaign Finance Commission;
- identifying methods to monitor candidate compliance with the programs rules, eligibility goals and objectives and ensure program results;
- building program support and participation with internal and external project stakeholders;
- analyzing financial records and disclosure statements for financial, compliance and investigative audits of political campaigns.
- preparing narrative and statistical program performance reports and recommendations
- liaising with candidates and campaign staff
- Public communications: public, campaigns, and social media.
- Carrying out some of the functions of the program;
- And performing other related duties.
- Principles, practices and methods of public campaign financing matching programs, administrative and organizational analysis
- Federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions applicable to assigned areas of responsibility
- Principles and practices of public outreach and involvement principles and practices.
- Principles and practices of sound business communication
- Principles, practices and techniques of group process facilitation and conflict resolution
- The ideal candidate will be a team player capable of meeting tight deadlines and possessing strong analytical, problem solving, and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- A strong work ethic and meticulous attention to detail.
- Background or interest in politics and government.
Why work at the City of Portland?
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and three years of experience in one or a combination of the following: financial administration, public administration, personnel administration, accounting, compliance or programmatic auditing, fraud reviews, economics, finance, fiscal or economic research, fiscal management, program evaluation; or a related area; OR a satisfactory combination of education and experience in the areas described above
- Previous experience in performing programmatic auditing or evaluation and project management
- A master's degree is not required but will be a plus
The City of Portland workforce serves a population of over 650,000. We are culture- and solutions-driven, viewing every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and share our expertise. We are committed to removing systemic barriers to resources, access, and opportunity. The City is a believer inALL
people and continues to actively recruit and retain diverse top talent every day. We offer acomprehensive benefits package
, including but not limited to medical, dental, vision, basic life, short- and long-term disability coverage to eligible employees and their families.If you are open-minded, motivated, community-focused, and self-aware, please apply yourself at the City of Portland today.To Qualify All of the following minimum qualifications are required for this position:
The Recruitment Process
- Knowledge of and experience applying the principles, practices and methods of public campaign financing matching programs, administrative and organizational analysis, or with elections in general.
- Knowledge of and experience applying the federal, state and local laws, regulations and court decisions applicable to assigned areas of responsibility, particularly election law.
- Knowledge of and the experience with public outreach and involvement including media outreach.
- Ability and experience utilizing sound business communication.
- Ability and experience exercising tact and diplomacy in dealing with difficult and sensitive people, issues and situations.
An evaluation of each applicant's training and experience, as demonstrated in their resume and answers to supplemental questions, weighted 100%. Do not attach materials not requested
. Only candidates who meet the minimum qualifications will be placed on the equally ranked eligible list. You have 14 days from the notice of the examination results to let us know if you disagree with your results. Please read the City of Portland Administrative Rule 3.01 for complete information.Additional evaluation may be required prior to establishment of the eligible list and/or final selection.Job Posting: 9/16/19 to 10/14/19Applications Reviewed: week of 10/14/19Eligible List / Notices Generated: week of 10/21/191st Round of Interviews: week of 11/4/19
2nd Round of Interviews: week of 11/12/19Job Offer: November 2019 *Timeline is approximate and subject to change Applicant InstructionsApplicants must submit a professionalrésuméonline and answer all required supplemental questions, specifically focused on your qualifications for this position as identified in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement in accordance with the following Application Instructions:
- Yourrésuméand answers to supplemental question will be the basis for our evaluation of your qualifications for this position. Incomplete or inappropriate information may result in disqualification.
- Your answers to the supplemental questions should include details describing your education, training and/or experience, and where obtained which clearly reflects your qualifications for each of the numbered items in the "To Qualify" section of this announcement.
- Yourrésuméshould support the details described in the answers to the supplemental questions.
- If you are requesting Veteran's Preference, as identified below, please describe in your answers to the supplemental questions any transferable skills obtained during your military service and how they relate to each of the required minimum qualifications under the "To Qualify" section above.
All completed applications for this position must be submitted online no later than11:59pm, on the closing date of this recruitment. E-mailed and/or faxed applications will not be accepted
. Additional InformationWork Status:
Non-citizen applicants must be authorized to work in the United States at the time of application.Veterans' Preference:
If you are requesting Veterans' Preference, attach a copy of your DD214/DD215 and/or Veterans Administration letter stating your disability to your profile, as well as checking the box identifying yourself as a Veteran. You must request Veterans' Preference AND include a copy of your documentation for each recruitment to which you apply. Veterans' Preference documentation must be submitted no later than 11:59 PM on the closing date of this recruitment. ADA Accommodations:
If you identify as a person with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation when applying for this job, please contact the Recruiter below for assistance.Equal Employment Opportunity:
It is the policy of the City of Portland that no person shall be discriminated against based on race, religion, color, sex, marital status, family status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or source of income. The City values diversity and encourages everyone who is interested in employment with the City to apply. Questions?
JohnDiGrazia, Senior Recruiter
Bureau of Human ResourcesJohn.DiGrazia@portlandoregon.gov
(503) 823-4034 An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Closing Date/Time: 10/21/2019 11:59 PM Pacific