Summary* CURRENTLY RECRUITING FOR MORNINGS & DAYTIME SHIFTS. * WORKING FOR THE CITY OF MCKINNEY
Working for the City of McKinney is more than a job. It is an opportunity to make a meaningful difference in the lives of others. It is also an opportunity to have a hand in the development of one of the fastest growing communities in the nation. In 2014, our community was named "The #1 Best Place to Live in America." Although proud of that honor, everyone on our team is committed to making McKinney an even better place to live, work and raise a family. That's why we exist. OUR CORE VALUES
City of McKinney employees work hard and at a very fast pace. However, we also look after and support one another. All of us are guided by four employee-inspired values - Respect, Integrity, Service, and Excellence (RISE). We are also supported by servant-based leaders who foster and support a healthy, family-oriented culture. All new employees are expected to embrace and live by our core values and commit to helping us sustain our exceptional work environment as a high performance organization. SUMMARY OF POSITION
Oversee the lifeguards and their duties. Ensure the safety of the pool facility and general upkeep. Perform maintenance duties under the direction of the Aquatic Supervisor and Assistant Supervisor. Work with the public to achieve high customer service standards. Responsible for assisting in supporting and enforcing the rules, regulations, and safety of the pool facility within the lifeguard certification. Provide back-up support to other areas of the Parks and Recreation Department as needed. The primary responsibility of lifeguards is the safety of the guests. Secondary duties include pool, deck, outdoor pool facilities, general maintenance, teach swim lessons, work special events and customer service. The head lifeguard is responsible for keeping physically fit and rescue skills at audit quality levels.Essential Functions/Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities GENERAL EXPECTATIONS FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
In order for us to continue to achieve our primary function of making McKinney a better place to live, work, and raise a family, we hold these expectations for all employees.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Learn and demonstrate an understanding of how team, department, and City goals are interconnected.
- Contribute to a positive work culture.
- Ability to assess his/her work performance or the work performance of the team.
- Contribute to the development of others and/or the working unit or overall organization.
- Ability and willingness to work as part of a team, to demonstrate team skills, and to perform a fair share of team responsibilities.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop through a mix of internal and external training opportunities, and if applicable, encourage subordinates to do the same.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain a clean, sanitary environment. This will be accomplished by taking pool chemical readings and adjusting chemical levels when necessary. The restrooms are to be inspected and cleaned as well as the pool deck.
- Write a monthly schedule for the lifeguards, including open sessions, swim lessons, rentals and in-service meetings.
- Maintain exemplary rescue skills, assist Aquatic Supervisor with in-service training.
- Maintain records, including incident reports, oxygen, AED and work hour logs, lifeguard time cards, daily chemical readings, disciplinary action, daily revenue envelopes, weekly inventory of supplies.
- Supervise the daily activities of the lifeguards, including rotation, finding replacements for absent guards, monitoring the number of guards needed, position of guard stands (glare), use of safety equipment, and behavior and professionalism of guard staff.
- Assist with the pre-season clean up and opening of facilities, attend training and orientation meetings.
- Provide positive and enthusiastic customer service to all Members and Guests. Greet members and guests by name.
- Arrive to work every day, on time, as scheduled.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND BEHAVIORS
- Assign work to subordinates and explain routine methods.
- Some accountability for quality and quantity of output of others.
- Solve problems that arise.
- Review work for adequacy and compliance.
- Regularly perform same duties as subordinates.
- Provide input into personnel decisions.
- May instruct swim lessons.
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Required Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Knowledge of pool safety.
- Knowledge of how to prevent accidents and how to react if there is an accident.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work in a team environment; contribute as a team member and treat co-workers, subordinates and customers with respect.
- Ability to manage large numbers of part-time staff.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals and to compute rate, ratio, and percents.
- Ability to act in an outgoing, positive, and assertive manner.
- Ability to demonstrate professional public relations skills, effective interpersonal and communication skills.
- Build professional relationships with internal staff and customers.
- Offer flexibility and adaptability, especially during times of change.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- High School diploma or related work experience.
- Must be 18 years of age
- Ability to swim for long distances, minimum 500 yards, and with great strength.
- Possess or be able to obtain a valid lifeguard certification at least two weeks prior to start date. Lifeguard Association to be decided by the City of McKinney. AFO/CPO preferred. Swim Lesson Instructor Cert preferred.
- Ability to pass rescue skills and first aid proficiency test.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- CPR and First Aid preferred.
- Non-smoker preferred.
- Some related work experience with indoor pool preferred, but not required.
Physical Demands/Supplemental PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Must pass a drug screen and background check.
- No visible tattoos, body piercings, or unnatural hair color.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to see, speak, and hear. Regularly required to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. WORK ENVIRONMENT
The indoor environment provides for a safe and healthy work environment and is smoke and drug free. Occasionally, it may be wet and humid, as well as moderately loud. The outdoor work environment may result in exposure to extreme weather conditions such as heat, cold, and humidity.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed as of the date of preparation and approval. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of the position. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and all requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous