DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
EXAM NUMBER: Y5612DFILING START DATE: 1/6/2016OPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION.DEFINITION:
Measures the extent of ocular muscle impairment to determine fixation behavior and binocular sensory status to determine the presence of amblyopia; develops corrective treatment; conducts, and instructs patients in conducting their own therapeutic exercises.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts initial basic Orthoptic examination using all tests and instruments of the Orthoptic and visual fields to determine patient's problem (i.e. motility;amblyopia) and its extent.
- Conducts therapy, using all known methods, on patients primarily with problems of amblyopia, repression, abnormal retinal correspondence, eccentric fixation, and convergence insufficiency.
- Receives and studies patients' medical records from ophthalmologists for examination to determine probable Orthoptic cases.
- Schedules and plans own workload, balancing new patient examinations against current therapy workload.
- Instructs patients in exercises so that they can conduct their own therapy; demonstrates how household articles can substitute for clinic equipment.
- Recommends patient discharge to referring ophthalmologist upon successful completion of therapy.
- Analyzes the findings resulting from Orthoptic tests and determines and administers necessary specialized tests.
- Analyzes patient's particular problem and develops a therapeutic plan for improvement using standard principles of the Orthoptic field.
- Secures approval of therapeutic plan and/or consults with referring ophthalmogist; discusses problem and plan for improvement with patients and/or parents.
Requirements MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:OPTION I
- *Completion of a curriculum in orthoptics recognized by the American Orthoptic CouncilOPTION II
- (1) One year of experience as an Orthoptic Technician**.PHYSICAL CLASS II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.SPECIAL REQUIREMENT INFORMATION:
*Applicants who expect to qualify under Option I
must attach a legible copy of the official certificate or official letter from the accredited institution at time of filing or email the document to the exam analyst within 15 calendar days of filing your application online.
**Applicants who expect to qualify under OPTION II
must have held the payroll title of Orthoptic Technician for the required time.
Additional Information Examination Content:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of experience based upon application information weighted 100%.
Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be added to the eligible register.Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add Ahsu3@dhs.lacounty.gov and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing grade on the examination will be placed on the Eligible Register and will appear in order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of promulgation.NO PERSON MAY COMPETE IN THIS EXAMINATION MORE THAN ONCE EVERY TWELVE (12) MONTHS.
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Available Shift:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Minimum Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you met the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must email the documents to the exam analyst at time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online . Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Annie Hsu, Exam Analyst