DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
ORIGINAL POSTING DATE: 5/23/2014
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER: Y4802F
TYPE OF RECRUITMENT
Open Competitive Job OpportunityDEFINITION:
Implements a nutrition program by conducting assigned surveys or studies and providing individual or group counsel or instruction on the subject of nutrition and its effect on health to a particular segment of the County population or other designated groups.
Essential Job Functions
- Participates in the development of nutrition programs by identifying the nutrition needs of individuals at risk or a population segment, defining the problems which may be prevented or corrected with proper nutrition or with Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT).
- Interviews patients to obtain diet histories, calculates and analyzes the nutrient levels of each patient's diet and counsels on normal nutrition and diet modification, adapting the discussion to the specific dietary problems assessed as well as to the socioeconomic, emotional need, personal preference, and cultural background of the patient.
- Develops new or adapts existing instructional methods and materials such as visual aids or hand-outs for use in lecturing, patient counseling, group educational sessions and community distribution by nutrition staff and health team members.
- Plans, organizes, and conducts individual or group instruction sessions on food and medical nutrition therapy utilizing food models and other visual aids to facilitate patient understanding of how to best nourish their bodies.
- Compiles statistical data and prepares reports on such matters as food market surveys, census reports, mortality reports, nutrition studies, and periodic activity reports for the purpose of identifying problem areas and trends, summarizing activities, and evaluating program effectiveness.
- Lectures in workshops and participates in panel discussions and special meetings diet or medical nutrition therapy, diet counseling, and on the technical and practical aspects of food and nutrition and its effect on health.
- Acts as resource person to health center staff, community organizations, prenatal and lactating mothers, senior citizens, nutrition students, and dietetic trainees during their field placement in health centers or while touring a facility, answering technical questions on the practical application of food and nutrition principles in a specialized program; participates in community outreach activities.
- Schedules and tracks individual patient counseling regarding dietary recommendations.
- Diabetic teaching including insulin teaching individually or in groups.
- Coordinates and facilitates nutrition classes.
- Provides approved educational materials.
- Administers pre and post tests to evaluate the effectiveness of curriculum and materials.
- Administers evaluations to collect feedback from class participants.
- Documents individual patient sessions, goals, progress, and follow-up plans.
- Compiles prenatal class pre-/post-tests to assess change in patient knowledge and self-efficacy.
- Interprets evaluation results to assess effectiveness and recommend methods for improvement.
- Ensures all aspects of cure/education are culturally competent and literacy appropriate.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Registration* as a registered Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration AND
certification* as a Certified Diabetes Instructor by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE).LICENSE:
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.
Registration* as a registered Dietitian by the Commission on Dietetic Registration.
Certification* as a Certified Diabetes Instructor by the National Certification Board for Diabetes Educators (NCBDE)*.Physical Class II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.Special Requirement Information:
* Please be sure to provide information and documentation supporting required registration and certification.Make sure to write the title of the registration/certification, the registration/certification number, date issued, date of expiration and the name of the issuing agency as specified in the SELECTION REQUIREMENTS. Submit a legible photocopy of the required registration/certification to your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing your application online
Applications submitted without the required evidence of registration or proof of eligibility for registration will be considered incomplete until such information is provided. The original registration must be presented during the selection process and prior to appointment.Registration MUST be current and unrestricted ; conditional, provisional, probationary or a restricted registration will not be accepted.
**In order to receive credit for any college course work, or any type of college degree, such as a Bachelor's degree, or higher, or for completion of a certificate program, you MUST
include a legible photocopy of the official diploma, official transcripts, or official letter from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; or official certificates with your application at the time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing your application online
A Master's degree or higher**, in Dietetics from an accredited*** college or university.
Experience teaching prenatal, postpartum and inter-conception nutritional classes in a clinical environment.
Experience working in a public health clinical setting.
Additional Information Examination Content:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education and desirable qualifications based on application information, weighted at 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Vacancy Information:
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Available Shift:
AnyAPPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
from the Class Specification and Selection Requirements serving as your description of duties WILL NOT
be sufficient to demonstrate that you met the requirements. Doing so may result in an INCOMPLETE APPLICATION
and you may be DISQUALIFIED.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must email the documents to the exam analyst at time of filing or within 15 calendar days of filing online . Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA COORDINATOR PHONE:
(323) 914-7111CALIFORNIA RELAY SERVICES PHONE:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT:
Annie Hsu, Exam Analyst