DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SERVICES
FILING START DATE: 6/21/2016
Until the needs of the service are met and is subject to closure without prior notice.EXAM NUMBER: Y 4767 MOPEN COMPETITIVE JOB OPPORTUNITY
THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS A REBULLETIN TO UPDATE THE EXAMINATION CONTENT INFORMATION.DEFINITION:
Provides professional dental services in a specialized area of dentistry.
Essential Job Functions
- Fulfills administrative and teaching responsibilities for General (dental) Practice Residency or Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Training Program to achieve the educational goal of the program.
- Performs as a Trauma Team Member in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery for a Level I Trauma Center.
- Provides trauma and other on-call responsibilities consistent with the needs of an acute care hospital.
- Performs specialty diagnostic, therapeutic and consultative procedures for patients presenting for care in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Outpatient Clinic; problems may include orofacial deformities, injuries or pathologic conditions of the jaws and associated structure.
- Maintains clinical privileges at both Harbor UCLA Medical Center and Martin Luther King Outpatient Care to ensure comprehensive dental care of the medically compromised patient.
- Performs public health dental services detecting and measuring the incidence and prevalence of oral health problems with emphasis on diagnosing, preventing, intercepting and controlling oral health diseases.
- Performs complex endodontics, including root canal therapy on the anterior and posterior teeth of both children and adults, stressing the more difficult posterior therapy and apicoectomy or root excisions along with retrofillings.
- Performs oral surgery, including removal of impacted teeth, torus mandibularis and torus palatinus, treats jaw fractures and removal of pre-malignant lesions.
- Performs advanced periodontic procedures, including minor orthodontic treatment, treats traumatic dental injuries and children with special medical or psychological problems such as heart disease, cerebral palsy, epilepsy and physical, mental, and emotional handicap.
- Performs complex procedures for the treatment of diseases and abnormalities of the periodontal structures of the jaw.
- Performs complex prosthodontic procedures, including construction of obtruators for cleft palates and prosthodontic appliances to replace missing structures and treats unusual and difficult denture cases.
- Performs comprehensive orthodontic services. Conducts training or assists in the training of dental interns and residents.
- Conduct specialized dental research, special studies, and services as needed.
Requirements SELECTION REQUIREMENTS:
Degree of Doctor of Dental Surgery or Doctor of Dental Medicine conferred by a dental school approved by the World Health Organization as required by the California Dental Practice Act -AND
- Successful completion of an Advanced Specialty Education Program *** approved by the American Dental Association. LICENSE:
*A California license to practice dentistry issued by the Dental Board of California -AND
- A Radiation Safety License issued by the Dental Board of California -OR
- A certificate of compliance from an approved Board course in radiation safety. Graduation from an approved dental program, accredited by the American Dental Association, after the year 1980 complies with the Radiation Safety Requirement.
The required license must be current and unrestricted; a provisional, conditional or restricted license will not
be accepted.PHYSICAL CLASS II - Light:
Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.***ADVANCED SPECIALTY EDUCATION PROGRAMS INCLUDED:
Dental Public Health
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
**Two years' professional experience in Pedodontics may be substituted for successful completion of an Advanced Specialty Education Program in Pedodontics approved by the American Dental Association.DESIRABLE SPECIALTY QUALIFICATION:
Additional credit will be given to applicants who possess desirable qualification in excess of the Selection Requirements:
- *Certification approved by The American Board in one of the above Advanced Education specialties.
Additional Information Special Requirement Information:
*In order to receive credit for any certificate, license or Board certificate you must include a legible copy of the official certificate, official license, Board certification from the accredited institution which shows the area of specialization; with your application within 15 calendar days of filing. Applications submitted without the required degree or evidence of licensure and/or certification will be rejected as incomplete
.The required license and/or certificate MUST be current and unrestricted; a conditional, provisional, probationary or restricted license and/or certificate will NOT be accepted.Special Information:
Appointees may be required to work any shift, including evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays.Available Shift:
This examination will consist of an evaluation of education, experience and desirable qualification based on application information weighted at 100%.Candidates must achieve a passing score of 70% or higher on the examination in order to be placed on the eligible register.
Notification Letters and other correspondences will be sent electronically to the email address provided on the application. It is important that applicants provide a valid email address. Please add firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com to your email address book and to the list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as SPAM/JUNK mail.
The resulting eligible register from this examination will be used to fill vacancies throughout the Department of Health Services as they occur.Eligibility Information:
Applications will be processed on an "as-received"
basis and those receiving a passing score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly.
The names of candidates receiving a passing score on the examination will be added to the eligible register and will appear in the order of their score group for a period of twelve (12) months following the date of eligibility.No person may compete in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.APPLICATION AND FILING INFORMATION:APPLICATIONS MUST BE FILED ONLINE ONLY. APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED BY U.S. MAIL, FAX OR IN PERSON WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
All information is subject to verification. We may reject your application at any time during the examination and hiring process, including after appointment has been made. Falsification of any information may result in disqualification or rescission of appointment.
This examination will remain open until the needs of the service are met. Application filing may be suspended at any time without advance notice.
Fill out your application completely. The acceptance of your application depends on whether you have clearly shown that you meet the Selection Requirements. Provide any relevant education, training, and experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, description of work performed, and salary earned. If your application is incomplete, it will be rejected. Applications electronically received after 5:00 p.m., PST, on the last day of filing will not be accepted.NOTE:
If you are unable to attach required documents, you must fax them to 323-869-0942 or email the documents to the exam analyst, within 15 calendar days of filing online. Please include the exam number and the exam title.SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER:
All applicants must enter a valid social security number at the time of filing. Entering anything other than a valid social security number (i.e. 000-00-0000, 111-11-1111, etc.) will result in an automatic rejection of your application.COMPUTER AND INTERNET ACCESS AT PUBLIC LIBRARIES:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.NO SHARING OF USER ID AND PASSWORD:
All applicants must file their application online using their own user ID and password. Using a family member's or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record.ADA Coordinator Phone:
(323) 869-7124California Relay Services Phone:
(800) 735-2922DEPARTMENT CONTACT
Germine Margosian, Exam Analyst