The PositionThis is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:9/9/19, 9/23/19, 10/21/19 (final)
Under direction, Survey Party Chiefs perform advanced journey level work and/or act as leadworkers for a field survey crew performing paraprofessional land and engineering surveys. Responsibilities include the location of boundaries, rights of way and easements, establishment of horizontal and vertical control, topographic mapping and construction surveying for the purposes of constructing public works projects. The projects include but are not limited to highways and bridges, storm water drainage facilities, water conveyance systems, sanitary sewer conveyance and treatment facilities and various other public works structures and projects. Watch to Explore your career with purpose Examples of Knowledge and AbilitiesKnowledge of
- Public works surveying principles, practices, methodologies, and techniques.
- California Coordinate System, Land Surveyor's Act, Subdivision Map and other statutes related to land surveying.
- Engineering, surveying, and mathematics concepts and practices as applied to office and field survey work.
- Use and application of survey instruments for measurements of public works facilities and projects.
- Acceptable safety standards safe work practices.
Employment QualificationsMinimum QualificationsEither:
- Plan and provide lead direction to assigned staff.
- Prepare detailed technical documentation and survey notes.
- Configure and operate automated and electronic survey instruments and equipment.
- Interpret legal descriptions of real property.
- Maintain sets of survey field notes and prepare reports to document project progress.
- Maintain cooperative relationships with coworkers and the public.
- Read, write and speak English at a level necessary for satisfactory work performance.
- Basic principles of leadworker responsibilities and training methods.
1. Two years of full-time experience in Sacramento County Service in the class of Survey Technician (Level II).Or:
2. Three years of paraprofessional surveying experience involving public works facilities or structures.Note:
Completion of 36 semester units or 45 quarter units of coursework in surveying, engineering or related field at an accredited college or university may substitute for up to one year of the required experience.Note:
If the word "experience" is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.Note:
If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.General Qualifications
Driver's License: Possess and maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher. Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher constitutes cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Must be physically capable of performing manual labor including the lifting and carrying of objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks in inclement weather and in a variety of difficult locations and conditions.
- Must possess sufficient eye-hand coordination to utilize a variety of hand and power-driven tools.
Working Conditions: Incumbents are subject to emergency and on-call work in all kinds of weather, and under hazardous conditions, at other than normal duty hours.Probationary Period
The probationary period for this classification is six(6)
months.Application and Testing InformationAPPLICATION
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application online by 5:00 PM
on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay ServiceEmail EmployOffice@Saccounty.net Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.Note:
Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed , therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs:
www.saccountyjobs.netClosing Date/Time: 10/21/2019 5:00 PM Pacific