Ride BART to a satisfying career that lets you both: 1) make a difference to Bay Area residents, and 2) enjoy excellent pay, benefits and employment stability. BART is looking for people who like to be challenged, work in a fast paced environment, and have a passion for connecting over 400,000 daily riders to work, school and other places they need to go. BART offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, paid time off, and the CalPERS retirement program.Department
The Maintenance and Engineering (M&E) Department has over 1500 employees who serve San Francisco Bay Area communities by providing safe and reliable infrastructure to enable on-time service. M&E Engineering leads over one hundred capital design & construction projects along with providing technical expertise for all infrastructure assets apart from rail vehicles. We focus on safety, reliability, and innovation to benefit passengers and employees so trains and projects can move swiftly every day. We hire field friendly talent who bring a high level of technical capability, accountability, and enthusiasm for continuous improvement. Pay and Benefits
BART offers comprehensive compensation and benefits programs. Benefits include CalPERS pension; excellent medical (effective January 1, 2019 current employee cost $147.14 monthly for most plans), vision, and dental coverage; supplemental insurances; paid holidays and vacation; as well as two investment programs, one of which is entirely funded by BART. BART does not participate in Social Security. Complimentary BART passes for employee and qualifying dependents.Pay Rate
$129,038 Minimum / $161,297 Midpoint / $195,493 Maximum (Non-Represented Pay Band 10)
The salary will start in the mid-range (depending on experience)Posted Date
August 7, 2019Closing Date
Open Until Further NoticeReports To
Assistant Chief Maintenance & Engineering Officer or his/her designee Days Off
Typically, Saturday and Sunday, but working variable shifts, including nights and weekends may be required Who May Apply
All current BART employees and qualified individuals who are not yet BART employees.Current Assignment
This program management posting covers multiple openings and may be assigned within various Engineering Groups including Integration Engineering and Operations/Capital Programs.
Senior Manager of Engineering Programs is a maintenance and construction friendly team leader with a priority on safety, whether working in field engineering, project design, analysis, or process improvement areas. They are hands-on leaders willing to go into the field at night or on weekends if needed.
Desirable skills, capabilities, and experience beyond the minimum qualifications are described below:
- Senior Manager of Engineering Programs should have at least 15 years of experience leading complex teams with significant impact to the organization. Ideal candidates have built a field engineering team or led complex operations/capital programs in regulated industries.
- This role requires strong ownership skills and the capacity to professionally drive results despite obstacles or bureaucracy. We are a regulated industry and expected to demonstrate excellent stewardship of public funds, so outstanding written and verbal communication skills at the intersection of scope, schedule, budget, and operational quality are needed. Presentation to executives of complex topics in an understandable way may include incident analysis, innovative improvement programs, or program/project reporting.
- Candidates should be able to demonstrate verifiable experience managing multiple complex work programs. This senior role requires experience in the creation of new processes and methodologies for problem solving in complex environments. This role may have direct reports and build a team.
Incumbents in these positions must demonstrate superior leadership abilities and management experience, strong organizational skills, sound judgment, self-motivation, understanding of strategic planning, and verifiable working knowledge in at least four of the following areas:
Ideal incumbents will demonstrate the following skills beyond the minimum qualifications:
- Acceleration & Innovation in Program and Project Delivery
- Predictive Maintenance (with Verifiable Objective Evidence)
- Advanced Engineering Analyses root cause analysis and Design for Maintainability, Reliability)
- Data Science, creating analysis & reporting frameworks
- Integrated systems architecture (hardware & software)
- Achievements in Capital Rehabilitation Programs
- Asset & Risk Management (ISO, IAM, or FTA background preferred)
- Project Controls (Scheduling and Cost Estimating)
- Funding, including complex grant management and contracts
- Demonstrated ability to build technical teams & grow personnel
Essential Job Functions
- Understanding of planning, organizing and administering Engineering projects and programs
- Creative problem-solving ability combined with change agent experience
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to make clear presentations, produce concise technical reports, and explain complex/technical issues to BART management and leaders
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams and optimize efficiency across those teams
- Ability to handle such diverse aspects of the work as project scoping, planning, budgeting, requirements analysis, conceptual engineering, detailed design, implementation planning, installation coordination, performance measurement, and analysis.
- Ability to perform professional-level administrative support services.
- Experience in preparing and administering department/program budgets and contracts.
- Ability to interpret and apply Federal, State and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Understanding of Critical Path method scheduling.
- Ability to identify gaps, conflicts, dependencies, and constraints in scope, requirements, delivery, training, and deployment and work with necessary parties for resolution.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously, including the ability to develop and implement controls.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- High level of professional integrity and work ethic with a dedication in providing high quality service.
- Self-starter, highly motivated and result-drive professional.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
- Excellent planning, organizational, coordination, prioritization and project management skills.
- Comprehensive knowledge of:
- Principles and practices of Design/Maintenance Engineering
- Professional office administration practices and procedures.
- Methods and techniques of research, analysis, and technical report preparation
- Principles and practices of project coordination, scheduling, and management.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation, accounting, and administration.
- Principles and practices of contract and construction management.
- Principles of strategic planning.
- Related Federal, State and local codes, laws and regulations.
- Experience with Primavera P6, PeopleSoft, and Maximo is desirable.
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days at a time (in rotation with others), to work occasionally during overnight and weekend maintenance windows, and to work occasionally in noisy and dirty environments or in foul weather and in close proximity to moving trains.
- An understanding of electrical, mechanical, physical, and mathematical principles applicable to the BART train control, traction power, ventilation, HVAC, and other miscellaneous support systems and a keen interest in keeping up to date with emerging technology, developments, and trends in these areas.
1. Assumes overall leadership responsibility for the development and execution of District engineering programs, such as Engineering Risk Assessment for Maintenance and Engineering (M&E) systemwide infrastructure assets and associated projects for Capital Improvement.
2. Drives the development and implementation of reliability-based maintenance programs for the M&E Department.
3. Hires and develops innovative program management and other staff to align with changing technology environments impact on legacy systems.
4. Monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of project commissioning methods and procedures, insuring improved program deliveries.
5. Proactively executes, within departmental policy, continuous application of lessons learned to drive improved safety, reliability, and efficiency.
6. Oversees and manages Engineering support of operations and maintenance.
7. Systematically identifies and reducesrisk to ensure that projects meet scope, schedule, budget, and quality requirements.
8. Identify, create, and implement via collaborative methods with appropriate levels of authorization, new programs as required by regulatory compliance, customer requirements, system needs, or efficiency improvements.
9. Oversees effective negotiations of contracts and agreements related to programs and insures compliance and continued progress towards completion.
10. Develops efficiencies for complex outage planning, including project consolidation which minimizes impacts to operations and patron service.
11. Provides executive level recommendations for asset assessment program implementation to comply with FTA requirements for State of Good Repair.
12. Establishes benchmarks, measurement methods, and reporting for accountability and adherences to tactical and strategic goals.
13. Prepares, reviews and provides project portfolio status reports and updates to managers and executives.Minimum Qualifications Education:
A Bachelor's degree in engineering, construction management, business administration or a closely related field from an accredited college or university. A master's degree is preferred.
Nine (9) years of (full-time equivalent) verifiable experience with full responsibility for managing large and complex projects through all phases, including strategic planning and policy analysis, design, construction and implementation. Five (5) years of this experience must have included program management of engineering employees across multiple departments or programs. Multidisciplinary experience is preferred.Substitution:
Additional qualifying experience as outlined above may be substituted for the education on a two-for-one basis.Other Requirements:
Must possess sufficient physical mobility to inspect construction in progress or review other projects. Must be willing to occasionally work off-hour shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Certification as a Project Management Professional (PMP) is preferred.
Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the state of California is preferred.WORKING CONDITIONS Environmental Conditions:
Office environment; exposure to computer screens; field environment; travel from site to site; construction site environment; exposure to noise, dust, grease, smoke, fumes, gases, heat, cold, and inclement weather conditions when conducting field inspections and investigationsPhysical Conditions:
Requires maintaining physical condition necessary for walking, standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time.Selection Process
Applications will be screened to assure that minimum qualifications are met. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will then be referred to the hiring department for the completion of further selection processes.
The selection process for this position may include a skills/performance demonstration, a written examination, and a panel and/or individual interview.
The successful candidate must have an employment history demonstrating reliability and dependability; provide copies of certificates, diplomas or other documents as required by law, including those establishing his/her right to work in the U. S; pass a pre-employment medical examination which may include a drug and alcohol screen, and which is specific to the essential job functions and requirements. Pre-employment processing will also include a background check. (Does not apply to current full-time District employees unless specific job requires additional evaluations).Application Process
External applicants may only apply online, at www.bart.gov/jobs. Applicants needing assistance with the online application process may receive additional information by calling (510) 464-6112.
Current employees are strongly encouraged to apply online, either at www.bart.gov/jobs, or on WebBART. Current employees may also apply using a BART paper application by delivering the completed form to the Human Resources Department, or by mailing it to P. O. Box 12688, Oakland, CA 94604-2688.
All applicants are asked to complete the application in full, indicating dates of employment, all positions held, hours worked, and a full description of duties. On line applicants are invited to electronically attach a resume to the application form to provide supplemental information, but should not consider the resume a substitute for the application form itself.
Applications must be complete by the closing date and time listed on the job announcement.Equal Employment Opportunity
The San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age (40 and above), religion, national origin (including language use restrictions), disability (mental and physical, including HIV and AIDS), ancestry, marital status, military status, veteran status, medical condition (cancer/genetic characteristics and information), or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.
The BART Human Resources Department will make reasonable efforts in the examination process to accommodate persons with disabilities or for religious reasons. Please advise the Human Resources Department of any special needs in advance of the examination by emailing at least 5 days before your examination date at email@example.com .
Qualified veterans may be eligible to obtain additional veteran's credit in the selection process for this recruitment (effective Jan. 1, 2013). To obtain the credit, veterans must attach to the application a DD214 discharge document or proof of disability and complete/submit the Veteran's Preference Application no later than the closing date of the posting. For more information about this credit please go to the Veteran's Preference Policy and Application link at www.bart.gov/jobs.Other Information
Please note that any job announcement may be canceled at any time.
Please be prepared to present documentation in support of any required licenses, degrees, or certifications upon request.Note
When you have successfully applied for this position you will receive an auto reply e-mail acknowledging that your application was received for this position. Please retain a copy of the e-mail for your records. If you receive an auto reply that does not specifically reference this position, please email Employment Help at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
To verify submission of your application, click on the 'My Career Tools' link at the top of the 'Careers Home Page' after submitting your application to view the list of applications you have submitted (including application date and status). If you have further questions, please email the Employment Help at email@example.com , between the hours of 8:15am - 5:00pm, Monday- Friday.