Executive Office of the Board of SupervisorsFirst Day of Filing
Filing opens on August 7, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. (PDT) and will remain open until the needs of the Department are met. Filing may close without prior notice. Exam Number
H1103F Type of Recruitment
Interdepartmental Promotional Job OpportunityThis examination is restricted to permanent employees of the County of Los Angeleswho have successfully completed their initial probationary period and meet the qualifying requirements.
Current employees in the unclassified service who meet the following criteria also qualify to participate in this exam:
- Unclassified employees who have attained permanent County status on a classified position by successful completion of the initial probationary period, with no break in service since leaving the classified service
- Full-time employees in the unclassified service with at least six months of full-time experience in the unclassified service at the time of filing
Assists in directing the day-to-day operations of the Commission Services Division in the Executive Office of the Board of Supervisors.Classification Standards:
The one position allocable to this class reports to the Chief, Commission Services, Board of Supervisors and is responsible for assisting in the supervision of subordinates who provide administrative staff support to various County Commissions. The incumbent must have a knowledge of the roles of the various commissions in conjunction with County functions. The incumbent must exercise knowledge of the principles of supervision and have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of departmental management.NO OUT-OF-CLASS EXPERIENCE OR VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE LETTERS WILL BE ACCEPTED. Withhold Information:
Permanent employees who have completed their initial probationary period and hold a qualifying payroll title may file for this examination if they are within six months of meeting the experience requirements by the last day of filing. However, the names of such employees will be withheld from the eligible register until the required experience is fully met.
Essential Job Functions
- Assists in planning, assigning, and evaluating the work of personnel providing administrative and staff support to various County commissions, non-profit groups, and the Joint Powers Authority Commission
- Develops and recommends divisional procedures; orients and trains division staff in their use
- Schedules all commission/committee meetings with senior staff members; coordinates the development of staff assignments and agendas for commission/committee meetings with other agencies and assists presidents or chairpersons in conducting commission/ committee meetings
- Has immediate responsibility for assisting in the implementation of commission special events, conferences, workshops, and luncheons
- Assists in the preparation of research reports, and prepares letters on controversial issues for submission to the Board of Supervisors as directed
- Serves as a liaison with other divisions, departments, and outside agencies in regard to commissions activities
- Acts as the Executive Officer to Joint Power Authority Commission and the City Selection Committee in the absence of the Executive Assistant and Chief, Commission Services
- Acts for the Division Chief in their absence
Requirements Minimum Requirements: Option I:
Three years experience in a highly responsible staff capacity* analyzing and making recommendations for the solution of problems of organization, procedure or personnel at the level of Administrative Assistant III**-OR-Option II:
Two years experience in a responsible supervisory capacity at the level of Head Board Specialist***, one year of which must have been planning, assigning, and evaluating the work of personnel providing staff support to various County commissions, non-profit groups and/or the Joint Powers Authority Commission in the Executive Office of the Board of Supervisors.Special Requirement Information:
* Highly responsible staff capacity is defined as staff experience at the senior level with extensive knowledge of program related area, processes and procedures, and experience in a specific subject matter.
** Administrative Assistant III experience is defined as analyzes and makes recommendations for the solution of highly complex operating, budgetary and financing, or other management problems of a County department, and participates in the implementation of their solution.
***Head Board Specialist is defined as supervises the operations of a small work unit in the provision of highly specialized clerical work or performs highly responsible staff support services in the Executive Office of the Board of Supervisors. Desirable Qualifications:
- A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college in Public Administration, Business Administration, Political Science, or a closely related field
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications and other software utilized to prepare meeting minutes; instructions and/or procedures for specialized assignments; press releases; letters; memos; correspondence; or reports and metrics
- Experience demonstrating analytical and problem-solving skills to make sound business decisions and judgments in responding to management issues, concerns, and needs
- Experience with developing and maintaining professional relationships with public officials, community organizationsor members of the public in order to successfully communicate public issues/concerns
- Experience demonstrating effective leadership experience in order to effectively manage multiple tasks, changing priorities, planning tasks, assignments, and monitoring a team's work activities
- Experience preparing official reports, correspondence, and/or records within the office of an elected official
- Ability to utilize strong writing skills and techniques when composing letters, memos, and other correspondence to all levels of staff, departments, commissions, and the public
A valid California Class C Driver License or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job-related essential functions.Physical Class:
2 - Light. Light physical effort which may include occasional light lifting to a 10 pound limit, and some bending, stooping or squatting. Considerable walking may be involved.
Additional Information Examination Content:
This examination will consist of two components:Part I:
An evaluation of Education and Experience based on application information, Desirable Qualifications, and the Supplemental Information Questionnaire form weighted 50%.
Each candidate's background will be evaluated on the basis of information provided on his/her County of Los Angeles Employment Application and Supplemental Information Questionnaire form that pertains to the areas of MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS and DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS to determine the level and scope of the candidate's job preparation for this position.Part II:
An Appraisal ofPromotabilityweighted 50%. The Appraisal ofPromotabilitywill evaluate: knowledge and skills; productivity; adaptability and dependability; oral and written communication; interpersonal relations; and supervision.
You will need to achieve a 70% or higher on each part ofthe examination to be added onto the eligible register.Note:
Please provide a valid email address on your application and add firstname.lastname@example.org to your email address book and list of approved senders to prevent email notifications from being filtered as spam/junk/clutter mail.
We will send final results by U.S. mail. Scores cannot be given over the phone.Eligibility Information:
We will process applications on an "as-received" basis. Those who receive a passing final score will be promulgated to the eligible register accordingly. The names on the register will be active for a period of 12 months following the date of promulgation.No person may participate in this examination more than once every twelve (12) months.
The County of Los Angeles is a Fair Chance employer. Except for a very limited number of positions, we will not ask you to provide information about a conviction history unless you receive a contingent offer of employment. We will make an individualized assessment of whether your conviction history has a direct or adverse relationship with the specific duties of the job, and consider potential mitigating factors, including, but not limited to, evidence and extent of rehabilitation, recency of the offense(s), and age at the time of the offense(s). If asked to provide information about a conviction history, you do not need to disclose any convictions or court records that are exempted by a valid court order. Vacancy Information:
We will use the resulting eligible register to fill vacancies in the Executive Office of the Board of Supervisors. Available Shift:
AnyApplication and Filing Information: We only accept online applications submitted on www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacounty.
Please ensure that you submit your application and additional documents, if any, by 5:00 pm, PDT, on or before the last filing date.Note
: If you have issues submitting any document during online application filing, please email email@example.com. Please ensure to reference your attachment by writing your full name, examination title, and examination number on the subject of your email.
We do not accept applications submitted by U.S. Mail, Fax, or in person.
Apply online by clicking on the "Apply" tab for this posting. You can also track the status of your application using this website.
Provide any related job experience in the spaces provided so we can evaluate your qualifications for the job. For each job held, give the name and address of your employer, your job title, beginning and ending dates, number of hours worked per week, and description of work performed.Disqualifying Factors:
Please note thatall
information included in the application materials is subject toverification
at any point during the examination and hiring process, including after we have made an appointment. If you are unable to attach documents to your application, you may email the documents to Jorge Andrinoatjandrino@bos.lacounty.gov.Please include the exam number and the exam title in the subject line.Falsification
of any information may result indisqualification
orrescission of appointment.
from Class Specification and Minimum Requirements in your description of dutieswill not
be sufficient to meet the requirements. We may consider this anincomplete application,
which may lead todisqualification.Social Security Number:
Please include your Social Security Number for record control purposes. Federal law requires that all employed persons have a Social Security Number.Computer and Internet Access at the Public Libraries:
For candidates who may not have regular access to a computer or the internet, applications can be completed on computers at public libraries throughout Los Angeles County.No Sharing of UserID and Password:
All applicants must file their application online using their OWN user ID and password. Using a family member or friend's user ID and password may erase a candidate's original application record. Department Contact Name:
Jorge Andrino, Exam Analyst
firstname.lastname@example.org ADA Coordinator Phone :
(213) 974-0895 Teletype Phone :
(213) 974-1707 California Relay Services Phone: