The City of Riverside is accepting applications for the position of Senior Traffic Engineer
to fill one (1) vacancy in the Traffic Engineering Division
of the Public Works Department .
The eligibility list established may be used to fill the current and/or upcoming vacancies within this classification for up to six (6) months.
The Riverside Public Works Department is seeking an individual with demonstrable experience in the hands-on design, review and administration of municipal traffic improvements to fill the position of Senior Traffic Engineer for the Traffic Engineering Division. An individual licensed as both a Professional and Traffic Engineer in the State of California is highly desired. The Public Works Traffic Engineering Division prepares signing, striping, and traffic signal plans, specifications and estimates (PS&E) as part of the City's Capital Improvement Program, and team members serve as the resident engineer for ongoing capital projects. The Senior Traffic Engineer would have an active and direct role in the preparation of most PS&E efforts, in addition to the guidance and training of assigned staff. Applicants for the position should be confident in their ability to make quick, informed decisions for active projects and requests for traffic control modifications in the field through verbal and written communication. The Senior Traffic Engineer would have an equally engaged role in the research, preparation, and submittal of grant applications to fund traffic projects.
Senior Traffic Engineers, under general supervision, supervise and participate in traffic engineering planning, design, or implementation of traffic control systems, investigation and other traffic engineering projects; and do related work as required.First review of applications: August 9, 2019
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Review traffic plan checks including signing and pavement striping, traffic control and signal plans; provide appropriate direction to consultants to ensure projects meet design standards and City expectations.
- Prepare and design traffic engineering plans in support of Capital Improvement projects including specifications and cost estimates.
- Review and/or prepare signal timing plans; determine traffic demand to allocate green time and synchronize with adjacent signals.
- Participate in in-depth study projects; conduct thorough investigations and analyses of various traffic conditions across the City which includes stop sign and traffic signal warrant, sight distance analysis, license plate studies and truck turning analysis amongst others.
- Conduct field investigations and work with residents and other external parties regarding traffic concerns; analyze traffic information and develop sound conclusions and recommendations; implement improvements when warranted. Plan and coordinate traffic surveys and prepare comprehensive traffic reports, including preparing reports for City Council, Parking, Traffic and Streets, Downtown Parking Committee (DPC), Transportation Committee, Planning Commission, and the California Public Utilities Commission.
- Review traffic studies, traffic impact reports, control plans and municipal code pertaining to traffic regulations; determine project impacts and traffic mitigations required to mitigate new development.
- Prepare and manage grant award by preparing cost estimates and other supporting documentation; recommend grant projects for consideration and complete grant reports after award is granted. Review and prepare the Traffic division's annual budget and budget projections that incorporate recommended projects for construction.
- Provide guidance to staff on engineering plan preparation; provide training and work schedules and other special assignments. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Education : A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in civil, mechanical or electrical engineering, including or supplemented by special study in traffic engineering. A Master's degree in a field related to civil engineering is highly desirable.
Experience : Four years of professional civil or traffic engineering experience, equivalent to an Associate Engineer
in the City of Riverside.Necessary Special Requirements:
Highly Desirable Qualifications:
- Possession of an appropriate, valid class "C" California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
- Registration in California as a Professional Engineer is required for this position.
- Experience preparing and/or reviewing traffic-engineering plans including: Signing & Striping, Signal Communications, Traffic Control, Traffic Signal Design, and Lighting.
- Experience preparing and reviewing Plans, Specifications, & Estimates (PS&E).
- Registration in California as a Professional Engineer in Civil and Traffic Engineering.
Selection Process DOCUMENTS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION:1)
Completed Employment Application2)
Completed Supplemental Questionnaire3)
Resume and Cover Letter, including fully detailed experience for each of the highly desirable qualifications listed4)
Three (3) professional references.PLEASE NOTE: THE RESUME AND COVER LETTER MUST BE SCANNED AND ATTACHED TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION. THE SYSTEM WILL NOT ALLOW AN APPLICATION TO BE SUBMITTED WITHOUT THE REQUIRED ATTACHMENT. FOR DIRECTIONS ON ATTACHING A DOCUMENT TO AN ON-LINE APPLICATION, OR GENERAL INFORMATION ON COMPLETING YOUR ON-LINE APPLICATION, CLICK HERE: ( Application Guide). IMPORTANT INFORMATION ON SCHEDULING ASSESSMENTS:
If you are selected to move forward in the assessment process, you may be required to self-schedule your appointment. You will be notified via email of your status and provided with self-scheduling instructions. Please check your email regularly following the closing date of this recruitment.
The selection process will begin with an employment application package screening, with the best qualified candidates being invited to participate further in the assessment process.This process may include any combination of written, performance, and oral assessments to evaluate job-related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. Those who successfully complete the selection process will be placed on the eligibility list for this classification.
It is the responsibility of candidates with a disability requiring accommodation in the assessment process to contact the Human Resources Department in writing to request such accommodation prior to the closing date of this recruitment.
Appointment may be subject to the successful completion of a pre-employment background investigation, drug screen, and/or medical/physical examination. NOTE
: The City reserves the right to modify selection devices and test instruments in accordance with accepted legal, ethical, and professional standards. Candidates may reapply when there is a posting to establish an eligibility list. EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Proof of education listed in your application will be requested at the time of conditional offer. Acceptable documentation consists of transcripts or degree, if applicable, by the accredited U.S. college or university.
Education obtained outside the United States (US) require one of the following options:
All applicants will be notified via e-mail or telephone of their application status and the assessment dates/times/locations after the closing date of this announcement. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED CONTRACT.
- An equivalency statement from an evaluation company certified by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) at http://www.naces.org/members.html or the Association of International Credential Evaluators Inc. (AICE) at http://aice-eval.org/members/.
- An advanced-level degree from an accredited US college or university.