POSITION SUMMARY This is an up to19 hour/week position.
Under direct supervision of the Center Director provides group fitness instruction, monitors, educates patrons on fitness and safety, and maintains a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for class participants.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Teaches scheduled classes, beginning and ending on time; provides adequate warm-up, exercises, stretching, and cool down.
- Instructs patrons on effective workout methods; explains proper techniques, demonstrates exercises; identifies different muscle groups, and teaches appropriate methods to strengthen specific muscles.
- Prepares appropriate equipment, music, and handouts for each class.
- Assists patrons, answers questions, and maintains a positive exercise experience for members and class participants.
- Keeps management informed of customer and facility needs.
- Ensures that safety standards are met, and that department and facility policies are adhered to.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Knowledge of Town and Department policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of human anatomy, kinesiology and training principles.
- Knowledge of group fitness teaching strategies and the incorporation of music, tempo, cueing technique, and rhythm.
- Choreography and music skills.
- Ability to be professional and motivate class participants.
- Ability to cooperate and work well with other staff members.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must possess current Red Cross CPR certification.
- Certified Instructor (ACE, AFAA) or equivalent. Additional specialty/certifications preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally must aide or assist participants off the floor, onto a chair, picking up dumb-bells, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must have a high degree of energy and have the endurance to complete the workout.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works with various types of fitness equipment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet while in the office, and loud when in the facility and while performing duties.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous