We invite you to start an exciting career in a fast-paced
environment where you make an impact of the lives,
of people who live, visit, and work in the City of Palo Alto.Why a Public Safety Dispatcher for the City of Palo Alto
This unique and exciting role as a Public Safety Dispatcher for the City of Palo Alto is the unique variation of dispatching emergency and non-emergency equipment and personnel in response to calls for service including Police, Fire, Ambulance, Utilities, Public Works, and Animal Control services in a state-of-the-art 911 dispatch center!Qualities of a Successful Public Safety Dispatcher
- Are you highly motivated and able to find creative solutions?
- Are you a strong communicator with a skill-set to remain calm in stressful situations and elicit pertinent information?
- Are you people-oriented with excellent interpersonal skills?
- Are you able to multi-task in a fast paced environment?
- Are you able to apply your excellent computer skills to new state of the art technology?
If you have what it takes to become a successful Public Safety Dispatcher, we invite you to step up and answer the call!Bilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply and will receive language incentive pay upon successful completion of a language test.WhatYou Will Need
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate the possession of the following knowledge skills and abilities which would typically be acquired through:Public Safety Dispatcher I/II
EDUCATION: High school graduate or GED, andPublic Safety Dispatcher II
EXPERIENCE: One year of public safety dispatching experience comprised of law enforcement or fire service dispatch responsibilities.
CERTIFICATE:Possession of a California P.O.S.T. Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate and experience with emergency medical dispatching and computer-aided dispatching are preferred.
For a complete job description please click on the links below.
Public Safety Dispatcher I job description
Public Safety Dispatcher II job descriptionREADY TO APPLY? First Step Prior to Applying
Prior to submitting your application please complete the following steps:
- For the Public Safety Dispatcher I candidates, you must take the CritiCall test at the South Bay Regional Training Consortium in San Jose. These exams are held monthly. More information can be found at their website www.theacademy.ca.gov . Click on the Assessment Testing tab and then locate the CritiCallDispatch Test link. The current fee to take the exam is $75 and this must be paid by you, the applicant.
- Once you have taken the exam and passed, then you may proceed by applying to the position.
How To Apply
- For the PublicSafetyDispatcherII candidates, you can proceed to the application process.
Congratulations on taking and passing theCritiCallexam. The next step in the process is to submit your City of Palo Alto application.
- Click on the "apply" tab. For an online employment guide, please click here .
- When submitting your application, please do not attach any other certifications or paperwork beyond a resumeand your Critical Exam. (This includes typing certifications, letters of recommendation, P.O.S.T. certificates, T-scores, degrees, diplomas, etc. Once we need these documents, we will let you know.)
If you are already a Public Safety Dispatcher at a Police or Fire agency in California with your Basic P.O.S.T. Dispatcher certificate and at least one year of experience in the previous 5 years, you will be considered for the Public Safety Dispatcher II level. IMPORTANT NOTE:
The interview, selection, and training process for being a Public Safety Dispatcher are challenging. It has multiple phases and, depending on the training schedule, may result in a lengthy selection process (up to one full year) before being offered a position. Part of our selection criteria includes how well an applicant can read, understand, and follow instructions through this process. Please do your best to comply with the requests we make of you throughout the selection process.
Closing Date/Time: 8/30/2019 5:00 PM Pacific