Under general direction, implement, develop, coordinate, and analyze a variety of specialized functions related to the establishment and maintenance of fiscal records in the areas of fiscal compliance, finance, budgetary and statistical evaluations and analyses. Depending upon area of assignment, responsibilities may include development and implementation of department fiscal program policies and procedures, plan, organize and direct the administrative services of the assigned department, performportfolio, investment, trading and brokerage service analysis and make recommendations. Also may negotiate/facilitate bidding for brokerage services and manage institutional banking relationships including RFP development, pricing and contract writing. Performs other related work as required.DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS
This is a mid-management position classification with responsibility for the following: departmental budget, fiscal, financial, statistical, and assigned administrative operations. Responsibilities include management functions of program compliance, supervision of staff, and procurement of goods and services for multiple programs. Incumbents are responsible for developing systems and fiscal controls, analyzing and interpreting fiscal rules, and ensuring that the Department is operating in a fiscally sound manner within established guidelines. May also be responsible for investment portfolios and portfolio cash flow management.Minimum QualificationsExperience:
Three (3) years of experience in administrative, fiscal, or staff services, accounting or fiscal operations, or budget preparation and control. One (1) year of this experience must have been in a full time supervisory capacity.Education:
Graduation from an accredited four (4) year college or university with a degree in accounting, business, or a closely related field. Up to two years of additional qualifying experience may be substituted for 2 years of the required education.
While the above requirements outline the minimum qualifications, applicants may be further evaluated for qualifications beyond those listed. Those applicants that are determined to be most highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.Supplemental InformationADDITIONAL INFORMATION
- A valid California driver's license and DMV clearance may be required at the time of appointment. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Applicants for positions within the Human Services Agency are subject to a criminal history background check.
- Government agencies accessing US government information, which include federal tax information must ensure that background investigation requirements for all agency employees and contractors that have access to federal tax information are consistent to the IRS background investigation requirements for access to federal tax information. A background check may be required if the position requires access to these types of records. Background requirements consist of three components which include, fingerprinting, citizenship verification and local law enforcement checks. State agencies must conduct investigation during time of hire and ensure a reinvestigation is conducted 10 years from the date of the previous background investigation for each employee that has access to federal tax information.
- Recruitments that note continuous under the closing date are subject to close at any time. Applications will not be accepted after a continuous recruitment is closed.
If you would like to have Veteran's preference points included as part of the application packet, please attach a copy of your DD-214 form.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants, who receive a passing score on a written or oral examination, shall be eligible to receive credit for an additional five (5) points to be added to the final examination score. Veteran's preference is allowed only on initial entrance into County service and shall not affect the order of eligibility on any other employment lists.
For the purpose of this section, a veteran is one who has received an honorable discharge from active duty, and has served:
1. During one of the following wartime or equivalent periods:
Sept. 11, 2001 to End of Operation Iraqi Freedom
Aug. 2, 1990 to Jan. 2, 1992
Jan. 31, 1955 to Oct. 15, 1976
2. During peacetime for which service a campaign or expeditionary medal has been authorized by the Government of the United States and where discharge was under honorable conditions. This would include Lebanon, Grenada and Southwest Asia.
A copy of the discharge form (DD-214) shall be submitted toCalHR for each position applied for, along with an application for employment requesting such preference, on or before the final filing date specified on the job announcement. Failure to submit the required credentials (DD-214) prior to the final filing date will be deemed a waiver of credits.EXAMINATION INFORMATION
If supplemental questions are included as a part of this job bulletin, applicants may be rated based upon their responses to the supplemental questions. If rated, only those that are determined to be highly qualified will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.SPECIAL TESTING ARRANGEMENTS
Special testing arrangements may be made to accommodate applicants for disability, military, or religious reasons. If you require such arrangements, please contact the Merit System Services Program at MSSProgram@calhr.ca.gov or 916-323-2363 upon notification that your application has been approved. Documentation from medical, military, school, or church officials outlining the accommodation request must be received by our office a minimum of five business days prior to a scheduled examination.ABOUT MERCED COUNTY
Merced County is located in the northern part of the San Joaquin Valley in central California, an area earning worldwide acclaim for its rich agriculture, and spans from the coastal ranges to the foothills of Yosemite National Park. The City of Merced, the self-proclaimed Gateway to Yosemite, has a population of approximately 81,102, yet retains the charm of a small town with amenities routinely found in larger communities. Merced's revitalized downtown is emerging as the entertainment center of the area. The County is representative of the rural heartland and Gold Rush remnants underpinning the state's heritage. It is a peaceful, quiet, and friendly area with an abundance of beautiful bike paths, and offers choices of higher education in UC Merced and Merced College. From a political perspective, Merced County is considered to be a bellwether county, having voted for the successful presidential candidate in every election from 1972 to 2012.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous