This is an at-will classification under the direction of and serves at the pleasure of the Public Health Director. Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provides medical consultation to public and environmental health programs in compliance with California Health and Safety Codes and local ordinances.
- Maintains high visibility and expertise on community health issues and fosters community partnerships and collaboration.
- Enforces federal, state and local public health laws.
- Serves as the Registrar for births and deaths.
- Provides medical oversight to clinical and case investigation activities related to sexually transmitted diseases, tuberculosis, immunization and jail medical services.
- Provides medical review and oversight to maternal and child health programs such as the California Children's Services Program's Medical Therapy Unit.
- Consults with the Director and other staff on population based public health practices and activities.
- Consults with theDepartment's Epidemiologists on communicable disease surveillance and investigations and/or population health analytics.
- Responsible for the development of medically oriented policies, procedures and protocols.
- May serve as the Operational Area Disaster Medical Health Coordinator and/or provide medical leadership during a public health threat or emergency.
- May provide medical oversight for the Local Emergency Medical Services System including medical requirements and licensure of participants in a medical reserve corps.
Minimum Qualifications: Experience:
Two (2) or more years of full time experience in preventive, or primary care work in a County or State public health agencyOR
Four (4) or more years of full time experience in a primary care medical practice.AND
Working knowledge of public health sciences, epidemiology, maternal and child health, environmental health and public health medical science and its application.Education:
Graduation from a medical school approved by the Board of Medical Quality Assurance, State of California.
Master's degree in Public Health (MPH) from an accredited school of public health, with course work in Epidemiology,Environmental Health, Maternal and Child Health or other closely related field,in the United States is highly desirable.Certification:
Certification or eligibility for certification in one of the following medical specialties: Preventive Medicine, Family Practice, Internal Medicine (primary care track preferred) or Pediatrics.License:
Possession of a valid physicians and surgeon's certificate issued by the Board of Medical Quality Assurance of the State of California at the time of appointment or able to acquire California status by appointment.
Possess a valid California driver's license at time of appointment and maintain.
Closing Date/Time: Continuous