About the Opportunity
Employees in this classification are eligible to receive the following:
- A custodial facility assignment pay of ten percent (10%) in addition to their regular salary.
- The custodial facility assignment pay shall be prorated on a minimum eight (8) hour shift basis.
- Employees in this classification may also be eligible to receive shift differential pay of five percent (5%) or seven-and-one-half percent (7.5%).
As a part-time Stanislaus County Employee, you will be eligible for the benefits listed below:
- Enrollment in Nationwide Alternate Retirement System;
- Sick Accruals; and
- Excellent learning opportunities and experience to bring into full time opportunities.
To learn more about the Probation Department, click here
The Assistant Cook I is the entry-level classification in this series and performs the routine, lesser skilled tasks within the food service operation of the Department. This individual works under immediate supervision, assists in the preparation and service of food to staff and inmates, and cleans kitchen utensils, equipment and work areas. This position is also subject to overtime, standby, callback, shift, weekend and holiday assignments, and performs related duties as assigned. Candidates considered for employment will be subjected to a rigorous background investigation to determine qualifications, fitness and good moral character to work in this job classification.
Part-time extra-help is a provisional classification where permanent status may not be obtained. This position is subject to overtime, standby, shift, and callback assignments and will perform related duties as assigned. This position is non-benefited except for participation in a 401a program with Nationwide.
The Job Task Analysis provides information detailing the physical and functional demands of the classification. For the complete job task analysis, visit the Risk Management website at http://www.stancounty.com/riskmgmt/
under the "Disability" tab.
- Clean and prepare vegetables and fruits;
- Operate kitchen equipment including microwave, coffee machines, blender, mixers, and meat slicer;
- Prepare sandwiches, coffee, custards, and gelatins;
- Serve food in a cafeteria setting;
- Prepare meals in accordance with the therapeutic diet manual;
- Perform a variety of cleaning and custodial work such as washing dishes, pots, pans, and kitchen utensils; loads, unloads, operates and cleans dishwasher, mop floors, cleans and sanitizes all kitchen surfaces and refrigerator walls and floors, and disposes of garbage in compactor or dumpsters;
- Store, rotate, and distribute food and supplies;
- Prepare and serve between meal nourishment; and
- Transport food to appropriate destinations, which may require loading and unloading.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education/Experience) SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Follow simple verbal and written instructions;
- Read English in a manner sufficient to understand instructions regarding therapeutic diets, production work sheets and recipes;
- Work for long periods of time under fluctuating temperature conditions;
- Lift, carry and/or push supplies and equipment weighing a maximum of 50 pounds;
- Maintain a composed and professional attitude while working with patients, inmates and others in a secure and orderly fashion;
- Learn the methods and procedures involved in the large scale preparation of food and special or modified diets;
- Utilize and handle kitchen equipment rapidly and efficiently;
- Work with various cleaning supplies;
- Prepare, arrange and serve large quantities of food in an appetizing and attractive manner;
- Lift, bend, stoop, stand and reach overhead; push, pull, squat, twist and turn;
- Learn to use a pallet jack; and
- Properly measure and record food amounts.
- Methods, procedures, materials and equipment involved in the large scale preparation and storage of food;
- Use and care of kitchen utensils and equipment;
- Principles and practices of sanitation and personal hygiene as applied to food preparation and service, cleaning of kitchen equipment, utensils, walls and floors;
- Principles and practices of safety as related to cleaning food preparation and service;
- Basic math skills sufficient to maintain a simple inventory and make calculations for amount of food to prepare; and
- Proper temperatures regarding preparation and service of food.
- High school graduate or General Educational Development (GED) equivalency; AND
- Pass a thorough background investigation; AND
- No felony convictions. Must be of good moral character and must not have been convicted of a crime for which the punishment could have been imprisonment in a Federal penitentiary or State prison.
Assistant Cook I is a Veterans' Preference Program eligible job classification. For more information, please click on the following link: http://www.stancounty.com/personnel/pdf/hiringpreference.pdf DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS
In addition to the minimum qualifications, applicant screening may focus on the following desirable qualifications. Please list any of these qualifications you may have within the "Duties" section of the online application.
- One (1) year experience as a Cook in an institutional setting (school, hospital, or correctional facility).
Application and Selection Procedures APPLICATION PROCEDURES/FINAL FILING DATE
Applications cannot be submitted later than 5:00 p.m. on the final filing date. Make your online application as complete as possible so a full and realistic appraisal may be made of your qualifications. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
Attaching your resume and cover letter are an optional feature for those who wish to do so in addition to completing the required application. Information on your resume and cover letter will not substitute for the education, work experience and required fields on the County application. The online County application is the primary tool used to evaluate your job qualifications. EXAMINATION PROCESS -
Most County recruitments consists of the steps detailed below and are governed by Merit Principles. The examination process ensures that all applicants are given the same opportunity to gain employment within Stanislaus County.
• Application Review and Screening
. Applications are carefully screened based on information provided. Those who submit incomplete applications that lack relevant qualifications or do not submit all required documents will not be invited to move on.
• Written Examination.
Applicants will be invited to participate in a written exam that tests knowledge for the position.
• Oral Examination.
Applicants are invited to a panel interview in which they will be evaluated by County subject matter experts.
• Eligible Lists.
Candidates who pass the examination will be placed on an eligible list for that classification. Eligible lists are effective for six months, but may be extended up to eighteen months. TENTATIVE RECRUITMENT SCHEDULE
Application Deadline: 12/31/2022 BUT MAY CLOSE EARLIER AS TARGET NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED
Written Examination: WILL BE HELD AS TARGET NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED
Oral Examination: TBD
Note: The eligible list generated from this recruitment may be used to fill future extra-help, part-time and full-time vacancies throughout Stanislaus County. GENERAL INFORMATION
Final appointment will be conditional upon successfully passing a County paid pre-employment drug screening (if applicable for position) and a job-related background investigation.
Some positions may require possession or the ability to obtain, and maintenance of a valid California Driver's license or the ability to utilize an alternative method of transportation when needed to carry out job related essential functions.
Stanislaus County supports the good health of its workforce. More information is available at http://myclubwellness.org
Cell phones are typically incompatible with the online application format or browser. We recommend using a desktop or laptop computer. If you are still having technical difficulties, please call NEOGOV at 1-855-524-5627.
Closing Date/Time: 12/31/2022 5:00 PM Pacific